Stewardbreds and Taxes

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Re: Stewardbreds and Taxes

Post by Dave Trainer »

Carole Hanson wrote: 5 years ago Laura Ferguson, Eric Nalbone, Ara Davies, Pete Vella, Danny Derby, Xander Zone, Stephen Saratoga, Karl Smythe, Alysse Peverell, Ali Weasley, Jolene Danner etc. All great and legendary players of the SIM, some may not agree with their methods of play but they darn right EARNED their successes. You want to know how? They started the game with crappy horses, raced them in races that those horses would be competitive in, and worked their way up the scale. Gradually breeding better horses, selling those horses, by doing so being able to afford SB's etc. YOU CAN DO THAT TOO! Stop telling people that if they don't follow the mantra of 'New Players should be put on the same level as players who have been around for real life decades' then they are suck ups. I really wish the SIM allowed swearing because my God I am so ready to go off on one! Yes, you need luck in this game as much as skill and patience. Just because you haven't had that luck YET doesn't mean you never will. Wanna know how long it took me to get my first Grade 1 winner? 16 SIM years. That's WAY longer than how quickly most new players do it these days.

I can name a specific example. Danny Derby joined the game not too long before me and when I started he was a pretty good new trainer but not near the level he is now. I remember his stable maker was Fictionelle, she produced multiple Grade 1 winners for him as well as studs that brought in stud fees. That's how Danny made his money (he also ran a HUGE stable full of crappy horses, not superstars. Pete Vella did the same). What does that show? They didn't get free horses from the elite players or from the Steward that made their stables. Guess what, you don't need that to make a great stable. My champions were all bred by me with no outside help, it can and DOES happen, but not if instead of improving your stable patiently, you sit around on the forum complaining about how poor and suppressed you are!!
Complaining about how poor and suppressed I am? You must be reading the wrong posts or have a poor grasp of the language.

I'm not poor, I've never said that. Guess what, I had a home bred G1 winner last year that ran 2nd in the SC. My first G1 winner was bought for $100 in my 2nd season and won the G1 in my 4th.

Think what you like. I don't expect you to ever see my point. You have your own view and it is clear that you will see what you want in other peoples posts and not what they have actually said.
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

I would like to wish everyone a happy and peaceful Sunday (or Saturday or Monday depending where you live). You are all beautiful people.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Anne Conradt
Derby Contender

Post by Anne Conradt »

I would be very sad to see the steward breds go away. Well, maybe not sad. Maybe that's not the right word.

I think they're necessary.

Not that I'm pro-taxes but ... I think some people lose sight of the bigger picture here.

Granted, it is kind of weird that a developer is this involved in game play. You don't see that a whole lot in games.

But that's not the real issue here. Is it?

I think the real issue here is that the steward-breds are good for younger players who don't grasp breeding initially and for players who are really good at training and placing horses well.

It gives them a shot to get a big horse early on--IF THEY ARE SMART AND THEY SAVE THEIR MONEY!

I think they deserve that. Why not? New blood is good for the game. Plus it keeps the money pumping. Hey, servers don't pay for themselves. There are ... other expenses to be paid, too. It is a business, and it ain't free to run it.

If new players can figure out the money part, which can be difficult too, why not help them out a little with the breeding part?

You know?

That's the purpose the steward-breds serve.

I didn't like that no-predigree horses thing. That probably was not a good thing to do. But the steward did apologize. She just didn't realize that the major money shift that created would * so many people off. It * off breeders. It * off some trainers. Hey, everyone makes mistakes. And, I don't think she'll do it again. So, that's cool.

But steward-breds ... that's a different animal altogether. That's a good thing, for everyone.

Some people NEVER figure out breeding. I struggle with it, and I've been here since Season 36. I know that's still relatively new in the overall scheme of things.

Some people are just into the racing part. They place horses well. Like Karl Smythe. Except Karl happens to train AND breed very well.

But others can't be bothered with tracing bloodlines, etc.

Trainers versus breeders. The age old argument. Some people do one better than the other. Training and placing is far easier. I think. But I think that's because I do it well. Some people may feel breeding is easier.

I train horses as an assistant trainer for someone here who breeds very well. (I can't say who that is. My "boss" is a little stubborn sometimes. lol. You know, I'm a trainer. I wanna keep a horse on the track forever, lol. My bad is that I always say, "Well, it had a couple bad races. Let me rest it, give it one more season." lol. I pull that on him all the time. What trainer doesn't want that? But he's right too, because sometimes it's REALLY time to pull the plug and get 'em into the shed.)

But when it comes to training, he lets me have my way with it--as long as they're producing.

Some people, like Karl, do both extremely well. That's why he's such a great player. I totally get what the steward is saying there.

He's a good guy to watch, too, if you want to learn breeding. He's smart. Very smart guy.

He is so brilliant because he CAN and WILL do both very well.

Has Karl ever been trainer of the year or breeder of the year? If he hasn't, now THERE is an injustice you might want to correct next time you go into the ballot booth for SIMMY voting. If he has, well, carry on.

(Quit blushing, Karl. You know it's true.)
:arrow: I always pay attention when Eric Hamme talks about horses running in Maryland.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

We do need to have fresh blood come into the game which no pedigree horses bring in. Without that, we will get situations like what the pacers faced a few years ago and the AW sprinters. One top sire, everyone goes to it, and soon the pedigrees look like a straight line rather than a fan because all the fillies from the top sire start going to the grandsons of the top sire, etc. No Pedigree adds fresh blood into the line and that is definitely needed. Most of them come in retired already, is the only difference. However, we DO need to keep them coming into the game so we don't hit a brick wall with pedigrees.

I do like that the foal auction has a bunch of no named foals though! Makes it more of a guessing game to see if crosses that Em used worked out or not, instead of playing the name game.

Another way to bring money out of the game is just increase the cost of the vet to $5,000 instead of $1,000 or make the horse whisperer $10,000 instead of $1000. Not that I really ever use the horse whisperer but some people do.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

The Steward wrote: 5 years ago Easy everyone. We race in less than 24 hours. We can do it!
I said this same thing 24 hours ago haha
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA