Stewardbreds and Taxes

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Re: Stewardbreds and Taxes

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Didn’t say I agreed, just that it is what it seemed like he was saying?
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

Fern Thompson wrote: 5 years ago
The buddy/ suck up system:
There are certain people here that have free access to stewy breds while most others that pay the same simperior fees don't. Perhaps the majority of players aren't chat besties or maybe the even have some scruples and refuse to suck up. Perhaps the majority just wants to enjoy the game on an even playing field? But then the buddys and suck ups probably wouldn't stick around if it were an even playing field.
I agree.
This is the most inane and asinine thing I have seen in this thread to date.
1. For the most part, no one is sucking up.
2. How is doing nice things for other players and receiving gift or having other player wanting to help your barn along unscrupulous?
3. Some players actually form real friendships OUTSIDE of the SIM and talk about real life things. Am I more likely to gift someone something that develops a real relationship with me? Heck yeah. But that also doesn't mean I don't help out other when they ask.
4. Even if someone gets something nice, they still need to run it well to be successful. It's not all of a sudden, I have a stewardbred and money starts flowing into my bank account. Still gotta train and race it.

To consider other players your competition in this game is a waste of time. The competition is with the game it's self.
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I don't know anyone that has free access to a steward-bred. You either
(1) Buy one at auction
(2) There's a trade where you give up good foals out of your own mares in order to race one and get a foal before giving that horse back (which again, the ability to do that is posted publicly by the Steward on the forum)
(3) You lease your mare to the Steward for cash and the right to run that foal during its racing career (again, the ability to do this is posted publicly by the Steward on the forum), or
(4) Every once in a while there's a public contest that the entire SIM can participate in, where the prize is you get a steward-bred to race, and breed one foal out of.

I've done the first two, I've participated in the last one, but never won, and I've never done the third, simply because I don't need the cash.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Ali Hedgestone wrote: 5 years ago
There are certain people here that have free access to stewy breds while most others that pay the same simperior fees don't. Perhaps the majority of players aren't chat besties or maybe the even have some scruples and refuse to suck up. Perhaps the majority just wants to enjoy the game on an even playing field? But then the buddys and suck ups probably wouldn't stick around if it were an even playing field.
I agree.
2. How is doing nice things for other players and receiving gift or having other player wanting to help your barn along unscrupulous?
3. Some players actually form real friendships OUTSIDE of the SIM and talk about real life things. Am I more likely to gift someone something that develops a real relationship with me? Heck yeah. But that also doesn't mean I don't help out other when they ask.
4. Even if someone gets something nice, they still need to run it well to be successful. It's not all of a sudden, I have a stewardbred and money starts flowing into my bank account. Still gotta train and race it.

To consider other players your competition in this game is a waste of time. The competition is with the game it's self.
Well, as one of the suck ups you would say that wouldn't you.

Unless the Sim has started to race horses in its own name it isn't a competitor, other players most definitely are in every race I run a horse in.

We aren't talking about players helping one another, we are talking about the Steward helping some above others, The Steward is not a player, she is the site owner.
Fern Thompson
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Fern Thompson »

Ali, I was agreeing with what Lee wrote, and I stand by it.
From what I have heard and read in some of the forum posts, there are players who do indeed get more horses given to them, and no-one said that this was unscrupulous. (You can also learn a lot by looking at a horse's history. It's all there. Everyone knows this)
I've been given three very nice horses by three very nice people here at the Sim since I've been here, and I know there were veteran players who resented one of the gifts in particular. Are they the same people who would say it's okay to give certain other players good horses? I have no idea.
From what I've read, these same people who are given potentially great horses are the same ones who make statements like, "Nothing in life is free. You have to work for it." Really? If I'd been given that many good horses, I would never say anything like that all, and I would remember the lucky breaks I'd been given. It's all about attitude. Gratitude and humbleness go a long way. Apparently, that is missing in some people. It's just a fact of life.
I think Lee was right in making the assumption that the same people who seem to be gifted with greatness around every corner would not be as likely to stay in the game if they had not been given the opportunities. Who knows?
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

She can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the steward started this game back as a teenager because she wanted some horse racing friends. The social aspect of this game is always going to be a big part. We have a chat and forum so people can talk with one another. There are also real-life gatherings so simsters can meet in person. We have a whole forum dedicated to meeting people in person. With those real life interactions people are going ot give things to their friends. When I was new people gave me free horses to help me get a start, some of them were just people giving everyone free horses, but one came from the friend that got me involved in the first place. I have also been lucky to have people request the steward let me race foals from their mares in lease arrangements. Again in one case it was a personal friend in another someone I didn't really know. I had someone give me some money to build my first farm, they said someone had given them money so they were paying it forward. I've given people horses and money as well to try and help them out. Though admittedly have perhaps not been as kind to others as others have been to me. There is always going to be a social aspect of this game where it's not just every man for himself but hey let's help some people out or share amongst friends and with that, some people are going to wind up getting more stuff than others. This is in the game's fabric and I don't see it ever coming out. If that is not something you are ok with then maybe this is not the game for you.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Fern Thompson
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Fern Thompson »

I'm not leaving the game. I enjoy it too much. I was simply responding to a post that someone made, and I have every right to do that, as everyone does.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Laura Ferguson, Eric Nalbone, Ara Davies, Pete Vella, Danny Derby, Xander Zone, Stephen Saratoga, Karl Smythe, Alysse Peverell, Ali Weasley, Jolene Danner etc. All great and legendary players of the SIM, some may not agree with their methods of play but they darn right EARNED their successes. You want to know how? They started the game with crappy horses, raced them in races that those horses would be competitive in, and worked their way up the scale. Gradually breeding better horses, selling those horses, by doing so being able to afford SB's etc. YOU CAN DO THAT TOO! Stop telling people that if they don't follow the mantra of 'New Players should be put on the same level as players who have been around for real life decades' then they are suck ups. I really wish the SIM allowed swearing because my God I am so ready to go off on one! Yes, you need luck in this game as much as skill and patience. Just because you haven't had that luck YET doesn't mean you never will. Wanna know how long it took me to get my first Grade 1 winner? 16 SIM years. That's WAY longer than how quickly most new players do it these days.

I can name a specific example. Danny Derby joined the game not too long before me and when I started he was a pretty good new trainer but not near the level he is now. I remember his stable maker was Fictionelle, she produced multiple Grade 1 winners for him as well as studs that brought in stud fees. That's how Danny made his money (he also ran a HUGE stable full of crappy horses, not superstars. Pete Vella did the same). What does that show? They didn't get free horses from the elite players or from the Steward that made their stables. Guess what, you don't need that to make a great stable. My champions were all bred by me with no outside help, it can and DOES happen, but not if instead of improving your stable patiently, you sit around on the forum complaining about how poor and suppressed you are!!
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Also, what you see in a horse's history doesn't tell you the full story. Many players do deals along the lines of 'I'll swap this horse for these 3' or something like that but of course in the history tab all you see is 'Given to X Player'. And please show me examples where you know FOR SURE that a player was just straight up given a SB horse because they sucked up to Em.
Fern Thompson
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Fern Thompson »

Lol...I'm not sure if that post was addressed to me, but it probably was, and I don't think I was complaining about how "poor" and "suppressed" I was! Where did I ever say anything remotely resembling that?
And when did I tell people "that if they don't follow the mantra of 'New Players should be put on the same level as players who have been around for real life decades' then they are suck ups?" I never implied this at all.
So much anger from some, and why???
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Fern Thompson wrote: 5 years ago Lol...I'm not sure if that post was addressed to me, but it probably was, and I don't think I was complaining about how "poor" and "suppressed" I was! Where did I ever say anything remotely resembling that?
And when did I tell people "that if they don't follow the mantra of 'New Players should be put on the same level as players who have been around for real life decades' then they are suck ups?" I never implied this at all.
So much anger from some, and why???
Actually it was addressed more to Dave.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Easy everyone. We race in less than 24 hours. We can do it!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

The Steward wrote: 5 years ago Easy everyone. We race in less than 24 hours. We can do it!
For opening gallops early we try a thread of cute animals. For opening races early we try a thread of angsty drama.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Rachel Sadler
Turf Router

Post by Rachel Sadler »

Ali Hedgestone wrote: 5 years ago
I agree.

Firstly
"1. For the most part, no one is sucking up."
That has got to be the biggest load of BS i've seen on here. You know the suck ups on the game because they are the ones that can see NO WRONG with anything that the owners of the game choose to do, no matter how detrimental it is to the game, unless of course it is happening to them and then they b#$%h loud and clear.

Secondly
Rules:
"10 You may not form clique groups that are created for the purpose of one set of players becoming vastly more powerful than the rest."
Clique: a narrow exclusive circle or group of persons

I dont care if people do deals with the steward, I went nine real life years without ever buying a steward bred and she contacted me once about buying a mare, which I regret selling every day, and still had a successful stable breeding my own horses. But by definition, the people doing exclusive deals with the steward are part of a clique as not all players get the same advantage, by definition alone if not all stables are able to do deals then no deals should be done as it is breaking one of the games rules.
"I wish people will tell me when there unhappy"

We did, and you didn't do anything to fix the reason why we are unhappy!
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

For those that want to do breeding deals with Em... this is how it goes for me, 99.9% of the time actually... I think the only mare she ever approached me about was Titanic.

*Sends Em a message* HEY EM! Do you want to breed (insert a mare's name here that I love and hope that Em tells me she loves her too)
Em: Sure, what is your offer
Me: *panics because I thought Em would say no and I have no idea what is a reasonable offer since the mare is probably everything to me but just another mare to Em* Ummmm....
**a billion hours later**
Me: Ummm..... lol what about ______________
Em: Or how about _____________ and a foal from the foal I breed
Me: Oh. That works too.
Em: Okay, done.

So if you want her to breed a mare of yours... contact her! The worst she can do is say No, which I've received plenty of, and the best thing she can do is say yes!
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚