Y51 - TBS Mare Lease Auction: Results

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Re: Y51 - TBS Mare Lease Auction: Results

Post by Danny Derby »

Phil Hoeflich wrote: 5 years ago Um...and keep in mind I am nowhere near the breeder you are, but I'm wondering why you didn't breed her to any of the sires the Steward used to produce those amazing offspring...Also, she seems to be better at females.
I wrongly thought that sending her to sires like If Looks Could, Walk Off Grandslam and King Of Stars was a better idea than sending her back to Half Truths. Maybe I'll try that this year.
Last edited by Danny Derby 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Kaine Saracen
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kaine Saracen »

Danny Derby wrote: 5 years ago I bought this mare https://www.simhorseracing.com//horse.p ... eID=513300 from The Steward in Y46. Everything above the red line is after that. The before and after on her is depressing - keep in mind she's a Blue Hen.

You all know it is pretty self explanatory, right?
The Steward wrote: 6 years ago The worst part is, I saved a mare for him all year and when I went to breed her, I typed Satono CROWN instead. The baby came out so good I had to leave it haha. Next year!
Like Diamonds is the horse in question and the foal that followed the next year was certainly not by Satono Moon.
Kasie Gillespie
Miler

Post by Kasie Gillespie »

I leased EMZ for $500,001

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=872175

My colt galloped Clamier :(

Wished I would have had a filly so I could atleast breed her for bloodlines
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Kaine Saracen wrote: 5 years ago
Danny Derby wrote: 5 years ago I bought this mare https://www.simhorseracing.com//horse.p ... eID=513300 from The Steward in Y46. Everything above the red line is after that. The before and after on her is depressing - keep in mind she's a Blue Hen.

You all know it is pretty self explanatory, right?
The Steward wrote: 6 years ago The worst part is, I saved a mare for him all year and when I went to breed her, I typed Satono CROWN instead. The baby came out so good I had to leave it haha. Next year!
Like Diamonds is the horse in question and the foal that followed the next year was certainly not by Satono Moon.
And the mare has yet to visit Satono Moon (hmmm...)
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Emmie Kay wrote: 5 years ago So as far as broodmares go, is it better to look for player-bred pedigrees? Are they a bit more reliable? Just curious on everyone’s thoughts! This was an informative and interesting thread.
Not really. In any of these cases, buying a steward-bred mare or a player-bred mare, just because the mare performed at one level for the prior owner doesn't guarantee that they produce the same way for you. It may be a difference in random-slide, or it may be that the mare produces better fillies, and you're breeding colts out of the mare, or it may be that the cross you've picked doesn't match up as nicely. Also, when dealing with Steward-bred mares, her knowledge of the crosses, and breedings, as you've seen in some posts, is at such a higher level than the rest of us, that she's going to get consistently better foals than we probably will.
Kaine Saracen
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kaine Saracen »

Emmie Kay wrote: 5 years ago So as far as broodmares go, is it better to look for player-bred pedigrees? Are they a bit more reliable? Just curious on everyone’s thoughts! This was an informative and interesting thread.
I wouldn't up and say that player bred pedigrees are better, the steward does have the advantage of more accurately placing matches together.

Ultimately, this is a numbers game, which is why some players end up with more high level horses than others, the more you breed the more chance you have of getting a favourable slide.
Like wise, all breedings start with a base number based off the sire and dam. So stud A with a base of 15 and Dam A with a base of 14 is effectively a 14.5 +/-2 foal whereas the same sire with Dam B at 13 is a 14 +/-2 foal. This is why some good ones fail to match poorer breedings since the former foal could go as low as 12.5 and the latter as high as 16.
Now due to the Stewards technique vs the player technique, She effectively has the +0-2 slide whereas we, the player are stuck at the +/-2 slide.

Naturally, all this needs to be taken with grain of salt as speculation on behalf of the poster who cannot conclusively prove these details
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

I’d also like to add that there is definitely an age slide in some divisions at some times. By that I mean that a 12yo mare in a rapidly improving division may have had an excellent group of foals in her first few seasons but then her superior daughters and their contemporaries outpace her significantly by the time she’s pensioned. Likewise a division can flatline or even regress and the reverse happens. Dirt sprinting has done all 3 of those things in my time playing.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

I only do turf milers on the thoroughbred side of things so don't know how much this extends to other divisions but I know if I look at most turf mile stallions the majority if not all of their top offspring will be stewardbreds. So yes I wouldn't necessairly say those are definitely the best crosses to breed those stallions on because that is where the success is insomuch as those are the best mares that stallion saw so that is why they are his best offspring. (Likewise I am guessing there is a very strong coorelation for freak/stakes percents in stallions and number of stewardbreds which also make those numbers a little suspect). So I personally would be a bit more impressed by a top performing playerbred and maybe more intrigued by that cross as a potential one to emulate but even there while not as common players can certainly have superstar mares that regularly produce top foals. For that reason I try to look bigger picture. Is there something that commonly pops up among a stallion's top foals instead of just once. Maybe that is something interesting.

Another thing I will do is look at individual mares to take out that mare quality variable. So if I a interested in a potential cross I will pull up a bunch of foals bred along that cross with a range of abilities and see how they compare to their other dam's foals. Is the foal bred on my cross of interest consistently one of the mare's better foals? In which case I want to breed that way. Or is their one great foal bred on my cross of interest but more often than not the foal bred that way is one of the mare's worse performers in which case I want to look elsewhere. This of course doesn't account for the random slide (I'm sure plenty of people can give you examples of super star/dud full siblings (I have millionaire Dreamland and ten thousand-aire claimer galloper Abduct) but again if there is some form of pattern of success or failure there may be something to it.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Matt Feldman
Turf Router

Post by Matt Feldman »

Oh, I have one like Danny's! I bought this mare from the Steward in Year 47 for $2,300,000. https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=740981

For the Steward: 6 straight stakes horses.
For me: Productive, Claimer, Solid, Allowance, Claimer :cry:

Now, it may be that this mare can only produce great colts, and its taken me 5 years to figure this out. Or maybe there was a bait and switch somewhere and she sent me a different horse :?
Act Out Multiple Grade 1 Winning Dirt Miler - $10,000

Many Names Multiple Grade 1 Winning Dirt Miler - $10,000
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Bought this mare for $800,000

Record for The Steward:
3 x Allowance
5 x Stakes

Record for me:
Claimer
Allowance

But my theory is that if Em is selling a mare, she's already gotten the best she can out of them and we're likely to see worse results from that broodmare. But I also agree that Em can see all the numbers and she knows what pairings work best so that definitely gives her a massive edge.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Matt Feldman wrote: 5 years ago Or maybe there was a bait and switch somewhere and she sent me a different horse :?
🤣
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Carole Hanson wrote: 5 years ago Bought this mare for $800,000

Record for The Steward:
3 x Allowance
5 x Stakes

Record for me:
Claimer
Allowance

But my theory is that if Em is selling a mare, she's already gotten the best she can out of them and we're likely to see worse results from that broodmare. But I also agree that Em can see all the numbers and she knows what pairings work best so that definitely gives her a massive edge.
A mare doesn’t produce better on Monday versus Tuesday. The same goes for the season you breed it or the age of the mare so I doubt she gets rid of a mare because she got the best of it and left you all the bad eggs.

The cross plays a big role and it could be that your old mare doesn’t cross as well with the new pedigree sires.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Sten Rino Haakonsen
Eclipse Champion

Post by Sten Rino Haakonsen »

I also hd the Danny Issue with the one I leased as the mares now 2 year old is a frek and the one I bred is a claimer and the breedings were almost identical so go figure hahaha
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Matt Feldman wrote: 5 years ago Oh, I have one like Danny's! I bought this mare from the Steward in Year 47 for $2,300,000. https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=740981

For the Steward: 6 straight stakes horses.
For me: Productive, Claimer, Solid, Allowance, Claimer :cry:

Now, it may be that this mare can only produce great colts, and its taken me 5 years to figure this out. Or maybe there was a bait and switch somewhere and she sent me a different horse :?
You might be on to something with the colts/fillies thing. Street Smarts, the only "stakes" filly, wasn't technically bred from Academic. She was part of the same created horses sale as Academic and they entered the game at the same time.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Another really frustrating one for me.

I got to breed https://www.simhorseracing.com//horse.p ... eID=336330 as part of a swap. She's the dam of Heart Of The Storm and over half a dozen other millionaires. The one I bred is highlighted, and is certainly no millionaire!