Quick Turnaround

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Quick Turnaround

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I'm seeing quite a few stakes horses who raced Week 16 Day 4 or 5 entered for Week 2 Day 1 (also some Week 16 Day 3 entered for today). Historically, this has rarely gone well. I'll be curious to see if this year is any different.
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Re: Quick Turnaround

Post by Regina Moore »

Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I get that, but there's a difference between what the vet says and whether the horse is ready to put in another big effort quickly. We get that criticism all the time - one example is racing two weeks after Dubai. The vet isn't the be-all, end-all on how well the horse can run. He's just looking at one piece of the equation.

To put it in people terms - six days after a marathon, I'm technically rested. The vet would clear me, no trouble. And, I can go out and run six miles. But if you asked me to race? No way I can put in the same effort as I could if I waited another two weeks. I'd bounce to the proverbial moon.

We had one other season where there was extra rest, and if I remember correctly, there were some disappointed folks. I'll be interested to see how it pans out this time, but I'm not using any of my horses as guinea pigs.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 5 years ago I get that, but there's a difference between what the vet says and whether the horse is ready to put in another big effort quickly. We get that criticism all the time - one example is racing two weeks after Dubai. The vet isn't the be-all, end-all on how well the horse can run. He's just looking at one piece of the equation.

To put it in people terms - six days after a marathon, I'm technically rested. The vet would clear me, no trouble. And, I can go out and run six miles. But if you asked me to race? No way I can put in the same effort as I could if I waited another two weeks. I'd bounce to the proverbial moon.

We had one other season where there was extra rest, and if I remember correctly, there were some disappointed folks. I'll be interested to see how it pans out this time, but I'm not using any of my horses as guinea pigs.
Same thought process here. I'm not running anything back to back, but if anyone did, I'm pretty interested in seeing how it worked out.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Actually, here's one. Looks like it went pretty well!

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=999778
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Laura Smith wrote: 5 years ago Actually, here's one. Looks like it went pretty well!

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=999778
Yep! I was SUPER nervous, especially since she is a lease but Glenn L said if the vet says she’s good, give it a shot, so I did!

The funny thing is, while SoS was confirmed rested during preseason, my other horse who ran 51.16.5 vs 51.16.4, wasn’t confirmed rested until 52.1.4. Same soundness (Somewhat Unsound), both with a companion.

So Captain just got a workout and will race as planned 52.3.5
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=983590
Last edited by Rochelle Bos 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

Not disputing Laura's overall point, but....

I had two stakes winners today that ran in the Steward's Cup ten game days ago.

One didn't run a lick in the SC and came into it off four weeks, so one can argue was fresh enough (considering the rest glitch over break) to win.

The other had a much tougher time toward the end of last year, but still was fresh enough to win easily today.

Both are "somewhat unsound", by the way, and both have a companion.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

I lease this guy out. https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=993857 He ran on short rest and had a career race so it worked in this case,
yeah