Names that didn't age well

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Re: Names that didn't age well

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I have the same problem Laura, 214 named reserved and most of the time when I name horses I don't use any of them :lol:
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

as a fellow Canadian I think Chicken Milk is outright amazing. You need to use that name!
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Well, thanks! Just waiting for the right moment, I guess. I do love saying "chicken milk." It's almost the only reason I buy eggnog.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

There was a time that I was extremely social in this game and named some horses after inside jokes and other things in that period. Every once in a while they'll pop up in pedigrees and I'm pretty sure people around the world can hear me groan. I'm just really glad that they've all aged out of being in my breeding barn these days.
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

Andrew James wrote: 5 years ago as a fellow Canadian I think Chicken Milk is outright amazing. You need to use that name!
Laura Smith wrote: 5 years ago Well, thanks! Just waiting for the right moment, I guess. I do love saying "chicken milk." It's almost the only reason I buy eggnog.
Ok.. So, story time. I am a poultry person by education and training. In college we would help out at this annual state event that was all about teaching kids about agriculture in Oregon. We had a booth usually with a industry professional (egg processor), glass incubator (cause who doesn't want to hang around for hours waiting to see if a egg hatches), and a kiddie pool full of baby chicks (kinds like the touch ponds at aquariums). See where this is going yet? :lol:

We are available for questions from anyone. We get a lot of "where is the mommy bird?" and similar questions. WELL.. This once, I had a gentleman walk up to me as I was watching for kids trying to sneak baby chicks out to take home (yup, it happened more than once). He started with "I have a question. Well, it's a dumb question". My response "There is no such thing as a dumb question in this setting. I'm here to help with any questions you have." Looking awkward, he continued "I was wondering. You see people talking about cow milk, and goat milk, and sheep milk. Well, what about chicken milk? I never see anything about chicken milk!"

I had to blink a few times and it was really hard not to laugh. Of course, the first thing that pops into my head was Pigeon milk! Then I had to internally say "nope, don't even go there". Brain tries to provide a helpful "well, they have remaining yolk sac...". Again I tell my brain "nope, bad idea". Then responded with "Well sir, chickens are birds, not mammals. And as such, they don't produce milk because they are not equip with the means to do so. The chicks eat the same thing their parents do from day one."
He seemed happy with the response and went on his way.

That is my chicken milk story.
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I've evidently had the name "the Crying Game" reserved since year28. I've got nothing.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

LOL, Ali!
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Alysse Peverell
Hall of Fame

Post by Alysse Peverell »

The Steward wrote: 5 years ago All four of my lifetime exes played the SIM at one point or another, so anything named after any of them starting in like Year 6.

You think I'd learn that lesson.
My initial reaction was definitely horses named after past lovers. Oy. Some of those were goodies, too.
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Ali Hedgestone wrote: 5 years ago
Andrew James wrote: 5 years ago as a fellow Canadian I think Chicken Milk is outright amazing. You need to use that name!
Laura Smith wrote: 5 years ago Well, thanks! Just waiting for the right moment, I guess. I do love saying "chicken milk." It's almost the only reason I buy eggnog.
Ok.. So, story time. I am a poultry person by education and training. In college we would help out at this annual state event that was all about teaching kids about agriculture in Oregon. We had a booth usually with a industry professional (egg processor), glass incubator (cause who doesn't want to hang around for hours waiting to see if a egg hatches), and a kiddie pool full of baby chicks (kinds like the touch ponds at aquariums). See where this is going yet? :lol:

We are available for questions from anyone. We get a lot of "where is the mommy bird?" and similar questions. WELL.. This once, I had a gentleman walk up to me as I was watching for kids trying to sneak baby chicks out to take home (yup, it happened more than once). He started with "I have a question. Well, it's a dumb question". My response "There is no such thing as a dumb question in this setting. I'm here to help with any questions you have." Looking awkward, he continued "I was wondering. You see people talking about cow milk, and goat milk, and sheep milk. Well, what about chicken milk? I never see anything about chicken milk!"

I had to blink a few times and it was really hard not to laugh. Of course, the first thing that pops into my head was Pigeon milk! Then I had to internally say "nope, don't even go there". Brain tries to provide a helpful "well, they have remaining yolk sac...". Again I tell my brain "nope, bad idea". Then responded with "Well sir, chickens are birds, not mammals. And as such, they don't produce milk because they are not equip with the means to do so. The chicks eat the same thing their parents do from day one."
He seemed happy with the response and went on his way.

That is my chicken milk story.
LOL!
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Ok you Harry Potter fans...

I just finished the last book (all on audio) about 2 weeks ago. It was an ok series...but I still don't understand all the fuss about the books..maybe I need to watch the movies too. :P

Somehow I have at least 2 Harry Potter names in my stable.
This one is up for grabs if anyone wants it, I bought this horse when he was a 4 and tried to figure him out, but he was just s l o w. I've owned the name for most of its 40 Sim years and only understood where the name came from just last year when I started listening to the series. :P

I'll never use the name again, so have at it Harry Potter fans..first come first serve.
The Sorting Hat

Then...last year...while I was reading the series, I found this guy in AJ's barn and got him for $5,000. Since then he's earned for me, $20,600 :)
Dobby

There are probably, still a lot of Potter names out there in the Sim given it's popularity - not to mention a few farms still with names from the series.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

ooooh Stormy - - - Your are asking for trouble when you diss the Harry Potter ! ! !
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Pepper Carol wrote: 5 years ago ooooh Stormy - - - Your are asking for trouble when you diss the Harry Potter ! ! !
You think some witch or wizard here is going to curse my muggle butt? :shock:

Looks like someone grabbed The Sorting Hat. I hope the name gets stuck onto a horse that turns out really good for them. : )

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Derailing the topic here a bit...
Ali... funny story...but like you said, no such thing as a stupid question.
Also, if you have any pull in the chicken industry tell them to start feeding the hens enough calcium or whatever to make a proper shell again! I've cracked eggs since I was 6 years old...always with one hit had a nice split, I have an egg almost every single morning and have done so, since the mid 1980s. About 2 years ago...the eggs instead of splitting..are now kind of getting a small hole, or sometimes a dent and lots of fractures that spread out from that area and the shells are noticeably thinner. Feed those poor hens some milk lol, it has calcium in it. :P But seriously, it seems like they are feeding them the minimum amount of nutrients to make an egg...and also, I've noticed the yolks are not as deep yellow as they use to be and the flavor has dropped off.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Post by Dan Kauffman »

The Steward wrote: 5 years ago All four of my lifetime exes played the SIM at one point or another, so anything named after any of them starting in like Year 6.

You think I'd learn that lesson.
Very surprised that Em didn't name this one.
‹Ali Hedgestone› Oh you get addicted to the crack after a while.
This spot reserved for my super-amazing TR stallion come Year 136.