Jon Xett's Training Barn

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Jon Xett's Training Barn

Post by Jon Xett »

I am galloping yearlings during week 2 after reading all the gallop comments in the forum just to see if I can find some positivity. I know, exciting right?

Year 52 Week 2 Day 1:
My 13 yearling turf sprinters galloped.
Being Fortunate (Being Ridiculous - Suddenly Sunny) led the band of 5 fillies and 1 colt who galloped as allowance types. I am indeed fortunate.

Year 52 Week 2 Day 2:
My 15 yearling dirt sprinters galloped. s
It is significant that of the 8 dirt sprint colts, 3 galloped allowance. I had a significant sprinter with a misspelled name, Satellite, so I named one of my colts, Pozitive (Caught Your Eye - Insignificant by Hope Rings True)

Year 52 Week 2 Day 3:
My 12 yearling turf milers left their cozy enclosure to gallop around on a slick and foreboding racetrack.
Wow, three of my 12 yearlings apparently showed some potential and galloped as if they were allowance type horses. Culture Change, (Change of Tactics - Apres Velo by Lion of Senet) caught my eye. An impressive set of allowance gallopers so far. Changes are a' coming for certain.
Last edited by Jon Xett 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Tom Mudgett
Derby Contender

Re: Jon Xett's Training Barn

Post by Tom Mudgett »

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1059058 - stakes galloper with Tiger lurking in the pedigree, for the Xett vibes..
Zarley - 25k - DM
Troika - 25k - DM
Timeweaver - 20k - DM
Swordsman - 15k - DM
Fra Mauro - 15k - DM
Some Rocky Socket - 10k - DM/DR
Cotton Eye Joe - 5k - DM
Bourg - 3.5k - DM
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Tom Mudgett wrote: 5 years ago https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1059058 - stakes galloper with Tiger lurking in the pedigree, for the Xett vibes..
Tiger lurking! Nice S*T*A*K*E*S horse Tom. I'm sending out good vibrations (Beach Boys?). jX
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Year 52 Week 2 Day 4:
My 30 yearling dirt milers galloped this morning.
I have my first stakes yearling of the new year. So happy that Happy and Healthy (Dragon and Pegasus - Cali by Lucky Coins) is in my barn. I was lucky and happy to see 6 other allowance types in the yard. Two by Red and 1 each by Together (surprise), Nils Olav, Dancing in August and Why So Quiet. Five of the six are by my dirt route sires? I wonder if I subconsciously select more-better (sic) mares to my sires or if my shot gun approach with my sires this past year just randomly gave up these allowance types. The latter I think.
By the way, people subconsciously ask all the time at work, in the store in passing, "how are you". Recently, I blurted out at work the response:
'I'm Happy and Healthy today, thanks." And my response was greeted with a smile as the co-worker quickly ran away from the weird-o.
Have a happy day, jX
Last edited by Jon Xett 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Congrats on the stakes, Jon, and nice name for her. It also just clicked in my head that the 2 foals I picked up in the TBS sale yesterday were from Xett turf guys. I like em
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1102629
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1102642
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

You are the most patient yearling galloper I’ve ever seen :lol: love it!

Congratulations on your stakes! Dragon and Pegasus is a very nice boy!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Year 52 Week 2 Day 5:
My 37 yearling turf routers galloped with quiet confidence this morning.
Ah, special, I had one come back bouncing with a brand new "stakes" ribbon. The group of 9 other allowance types were mildly miffed.
But look daddy-o at how shinny Silent Sarcasm looks. She is a dark bay with a star by Night's Quiet out of August Birthdays by Suzuka Silence with Do Something and Kismet still whispering in the back of the pedigree. They say, " This is no time to go wobbly." jX
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Tim Matthews wrote: 5 years ago Congrats on the stakes, Jon, and nice name for her. It also just clicked in my head that the 2 foals I picked up in the TBS sale yesterday were from Xett turf guys. I like em
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1102629
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1102642
Nice pick up(s) Tim. I surely do hope that they are both freaks on the track and as sires so I can use them for my future turf stars. Best, jX
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Year 52 Week 2 Day 7:
My oh my, my 179 (not a typo) yearling dirt routers galloped very early in the quiet Sunday morning. I had had high confidence in this experimental group of yearlings. You see, I decided to breed all my mares last SIM year. Reasoning was that I had neglected some possible gems. For you see, I tend to hang onto every mare as if she were the golden one who would lead me back to the golden age of SIM years past when I was a force to be reckoned with. Some experiments are a success and some experiments fail, but if you are savvy you learn from all of your experiments. I used my sires a lot this past season. Tons. The overall result of the class of SIM Year 51, with 297 foals, was a mixed blessing. I was grateful for 8 stakes galloping yearlings six of which were dirt routers.

The mares who gave up these super good yearlings were somewhat shocking to me:
Together to Silver, a Stewards Cup Ladies Route winner, gives her first Stakes galloping foal after 5 allowance and productive types
Together to Little Twisted, an allowance winner gives me my first stakes foal
You Never Know to Slips Away (10:2-0-2) first foal is a stakes racer
Gladiator to I Won't Wait (12: 1-3-2) first foal is a stakes racer
Gladiator to Gefeliciteerd (13: 2-1-3), means congratulations in Dutch, whose 3rd foal is her 2nd stakes (Stakes, productive, Stakes)
Redmayne to Overcome (8: 0-1-1) but who has produced 5 Stakes racers, 1 productive and 2 solids

Not shocking to me is that all 6 are blue hen mares, however, 5 of the 6 hens were unremarkable in their racing career. I have wonderfully successful racing mares and Steward's Cup caliber mares that have been disappointing or unremarkable as broodmares with either low scale mare ratings or inconsistent progeny success.

So what do I do now? I have 125 claimer, solid and productive dirt route yearlings. What do I do with the colts? Geld, race, give away, GP or auction?
The blue hen dirt route mares highlighted above, weren't really all that great racing. So do I race the all the fillies, then spend the $SIM 10,000 in the Keep--or--Chuck mare sweepstakes sorting out for the hens? In the past, I raced almost everything. In the recent past, I raced mostly productive and higher gallopers.

Some SIM players recently have called me a wizard (is this a good thing?). I don't feel wizard-y. Some have asked me to "share my secrets"/share my knowledge.

I can honestly say that the only secret I have is persistence and positivity. I get frustrated just like you when a lot of sure things bust and racing or breeding does not follow your expectations or statistical form. I do know that if you don't enjoy the successful racers while they are racing and if you don't appreciate the breeding surprises when they happen on any scale, big and small; that you most likely will not derive much pleasure from SIMHorseracing.com.

My secrets:
Embrace the Emotions. Enjoy the compEtition. CelEbrate your succEss and the succEss of othErs. ExcapE. AprEciatE ThE StEward (Emily) All in Fun, jX
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Emmie Kay wrote: 5 years ago I’ve really enjoyed reading this thread! I bought a DR from you Jon, last year for $141. His gallop changed Allowance to Stakes. It’s been really fun to race him, and I have respect for your breeding technique! :) Here’s a link for fun: https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=864118
Thank you for the kind reply. I love that you are having fun racing this gelding. It's very cool that he jumped up in class. Looks like you are doing a fine training job. Continued success, jX
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I smile - for your results are on par with mine - I just get the agony over all at once.
Another year of no home bred freaks. I did get a "stakes" AW router though - so excited about that!
I put my lesser horses in a claimer/solid barn and gallop them twice a year - occasionally get one that improves. The productives sit in their own barn and eventually go into maiden claimers when they're older.
I only consistently race allowance and above, unless it's an Olive/ Peace on Earth foal - even the claimers get raced (in highly restrictive state/country bred races), and you know - my numbers haven't been half bad over the last few years.
I have similar success with Steward bred mares as broodmares - but often they pan out as grand-broodmares.
I'm just here for the fun of it