Private Stallions

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Re: Private Stallions

Post by Nena Olson »

The Steward wrote: 5 years ago
Danny Derby wrote: 5 years ago Another boost auction in the books, and it looks like this trend is going to continue. If these auctions are meant as a money sink, I wish that The Steward would just stand some of these stallions herself. Money still comes out of the game, but stallion access is open. No point in a "boost" if no one can use the stallions.
A little bummed out about it myself. Not going to have these kinds of auctions anymore because it ends up not helping the divisions I'm trying to help. People can play how they want, but when you bum me out you lose these auctions and just have to pay me money ;-)
I think you owning the stallions will help draw SIM money out anyway over a long period of time compared to one big bang :)
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Katie Stepanian »

Nena Olson wrote: 5 years ago
The Steward wrote: 5 years ago
Danny Derby wrote: 5 years ago Another boost auction in the books, and it looks like this trend is going to continue. If these auctions are meant as a money sink, I wish that The Steward would just stand some of these stallions herself. Money still comes out of the game, but stallion access is open. No point in a "boost" if no one can use the stallions.
A little bummed out about it myself. Not going to have these kinds of auctions anymore because it ends up not helping the divisions I'm trying to help. People can play how they want, but when you bum me out you lose these auctions and just have to pay me money ;-)
I think you owning the stallions will help draw money out anyway over a long period of time compared to one big bang :)
Agreed. Making any future stallion additions game owned is the best bet, and would definitely draw money out over a longer period. I know I bred to some of them before the auction ended, to ensure I got into them.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I did too because I was afraid some would go private :(
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Katie Stepanian »

Nena Olson wrote: 5 years ago I did too because I was afraid some would go private :(
Yep, it is a shame. :(
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Post by J.r. Lewis »

I'm sorry, I didn't realize people weren't supposed to use the Reserve Bookings button. What's it there for if not to use it? What's an acceptable number to reserve? I'm almost done my breeding but there were quite a few studs that I went to use who were booked full, yet when I checked their foal count they still had slots left. Did I create a post complaining about it? Maybe I should've. But no, I went to the next one which is one of the reasons I thought foal limits were put in place. So give me a number? 1, 2, 20, 40, 60? What's allowed to be reserved? It's his first season available and as everyone pointed out he's a superstar. Why wouldn't I want to use him? Obviously his babies aren't going to be able to go to him so he'd be available at some point regardless.

As for taking money out of the game, I just took $15m out of it buying Saturnalia. Nobody else was willing to do that so why am I not applauded for helping the economy instead of being vilified? If there's so much extra money in the SIM, why weren't the bids higher? Why were major players not bidding as I saw a lot of new blood in this auction. Why are horses being sold at what has to be an all-time low in prices? I have some allowance yearlings I'd love to sell but I'm not gonna give them away for $10k when they can at least double that on the track.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

You can do whatever you want with him, you bought him fair and square. No one is disputing that. Why wouldn't you want to keep him to yourself, since it's within your rules and rights? They could have had him if they wanted to shell out the money.

But only one person being able to breed to him (or ANYthing else I've sold) wasn't what I was going for, so I'll do it a different way next time.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

J.r. Lewis wrote: 5 years ago As for taking money out of the game, I just took $15m out of it buying Saturnalia. Nobody else was willing to do that so why am I not applauded for helping the economy instead of being vilified? If there's so much extra money in the SIM, why weren't the bids higher? Why were major players not bidding as I saw a lot of new blood in this auction. Why are horses being sold at what has to be an all-time low in prices? I have some allowance yearlings I'd love to sell but I'm not gonna give them away for $10k when they can at least double that on the track.
I would have liked to be able to send Saturnalia a handful of mares each year at a listed stud fee. That doesn't mean I wanted to pay $15M just so I'd have the option to breed to him.

Take a look at Cracksman. He's got 169 foals this year, and 168 of them were bred by yourself or your partners. I can't imagine that was the Steward's intention when she added him to the game, no more than it was her intention with Saturnalia.

I'll also say that this is NOTHING personal against you or your partners J.R., playing this way is 100% within the rules. I'm just saying that if people are going to play this way, perhaps the rules need some adjustments.
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Post by J.r. Lewis »

Danny Derby wrote: 5 years ago
J.r. Lewis wrote: 5 years ago As for taking money out of the game, I just took $15m out of it buying Saturnalia. Nobody else was willing to do that so why am I not applauded for helping the economy instead of being vilified? If there's so much extra money in the SIM, why weren't the bids higher? Why were major players not bidding as I saw a lot of new blood in this auction. Why are horses being sold at what has to be an all-time low in prices? I have some allowance yearlings I'd love to sell but I'm not gonna give them away for $10k when they can at least double that on the track.
I would have liked to be able to send Saturnalia a handful of mares each year at a listed stud fee. That doesn't mean I wanted to pay $15M just so I'd have the option to breed to him.

Take a look at Cracksman. He's got 169 foals this year, and 168 of them were bred by yourself or your partners. I can't imagine that was the Steward's intention when she added him to the game, no more than it was her intention with Saturnalia.

I'll also say that this is NOTHING personal against you or your partners J.R., playing this way is 100% within the rules. I'm just saying that if people are going to play this way, perhaps the rules need some adjustments.
Thank you for saying it's not personal Danny, as it really does feel that way sometimes. I realize other people want to use him but like you said, I do have partners so it's not like I'm breeding to him 180x myself. That would be ludicrous...probably :)

The one thing about a lot of these studs I've bought lately have in common is that they're multi-surface. Unfortunately that means that if I want to send 20 mares to Cracksman from TS/TM/AWS that I've already used up 60 slots! On Prince Louder, I had him public for most of the season (at a price I thought was fair and that I could send my mares to an equally talented stud for) and I think 5 people used him before I did my breeding in the last few weeks. I paid a lot of money for him (a lot of people think I overpaid) so I want to ensure a full book from him each season so I filled his book with my mares. Is what I'm saying making any sense or do I really have a skewed view?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I know in the case of Prince Louder particularly I've had 3 different people this week bemoan to me that they were planning on sending him graded stakes winning mares but couldn't get in because the spots were gone. Saving a few spots for mares that are actually top notch like that in reality probably helps him (and others), because then his stats look better, etc, if the babies can run.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Post by J.r. Lewis »

The Steward wrote: 5 years ago I know in the case of Prince Louder particularly I've had 3 different people this week bemoan to me that they were planning on sending him graded stakes winning mares but couldn't get in because the spots were gone. Saving a few spots for mares that are actually top notch like that in reality probably helps him (and others), because then his stats look better, etc, if the babies can run.
I hear what you're saying and I wish they would've messaged me that they were going to use him, for sure, no doubt about it, you can count on my future stud fee. I would've definitely saved them a spot. I've had multiple people message me directly asking about particular studs. Some do it every season and I'm almost always happy to oblige. I realize a lot of people breed late as well and I'll often give discounts on any open slots my studs do have at the end cuz I'm the king of procrastinating so I like to give back to my people lol. Unfortunately this season, I'm on top of my barn and am trying to get my breeding done early to take advantage of the extra week of break.
George Knatz
Miler

Post by George Knatz »

I'm really starting to believe I am playing the wrong game for me. I thought this was a game of competition, not a game of cooperation.That people would message the owner of the game to "bemoan" that they couldn't get what they wanted blows my mind.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

It is definitely a game of competition, I think Xander and I can attribute to that example lol. We are both very passionate about our stables and our competitive nature sometimes causes a little extra drama than need be, but in the end it’s all fun and games.

As long as no one takes things too seriously and goes “Toward”, I don’t see any harm with a little bit of disagreement over ones playing style :).
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

George Knatz wrote: 5 years ago I'm really starting to believe I am playing the wrong game for me. I thought this was a game of competition, not a game of cooperation.That people would message the owner of the game to "bemoan" that they couldn't get what they wanted blows my mind.
You've never seen my inbox LOL. It's just par for the course!
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Post by J.r. Lewis »

Pete Vella wrote: 5 years ago It is definitely a game of competition, I think Xander and I can attribute to that example lol. We are both very passionate about our stables and our competitive nature sometimes causes a little extra drama than need be, but in the end it’s all fun and games.

As long as no one takes things too seriously and goes “Toward”, I don’t see any harm with a little bit of disagreement over ones playing style :).
I don't want to live in a SIM where Xander and Pete get along lol
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

I definitely think it makes sense to allow stallions owners to manage stallions the way they want even if that includes booking large numbers themselves. As others have said it is a competitive game. However, when instead of talking about stallions people have, bred, owned, raced themselves we are talking about created stallions put into the game for the sole purpose of increasing bloodline diversity it does get frustrating when only one rich person gets to benefit from that stallion. So I don't think we need to change stallion rules but it does make sense moving forward to have the steward stand the new stallions themselves instead of selling them so those particular "special" horses are widely available.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*