Shocking Upsets!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Anne Conradt
Derby Contender

Shocking Upsets!

Post by Anne Conradt »

/
What is the most shocking upset you've EVER seen in the Sim's Thoroughbred Division?

And, why?

Since it's GP 1/2 day soon (I think), we can cut it off in a couple weeks. I thought some stories might make for a great article.

You can PM 'em to me, if you want it to be a surprise.
/
:arrow: I always pay attention when Eric Hamme talks about horses running in Maryland.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Re: Shocking Upsets!

Post by Carole Hanson »

Most recently Albert’s Song winning the Louisville Bunberrete to remain undefeated having only raced in claimers before.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Whenever P.T. Barnum loses his first race(if he does)
yeah
T.D. Palm
Grade 3 Winner

Post by T.D. Palm »

Zombie Fish winning the Stewards Cup Filly & Mare Sprint in year 44, after coming off a win in a classified allowance.Betting-wise, she paid $3,637 to win (to her owner only who made a decent sized bet).
It's better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Five Circles in the Classic

Albert's Song in the Bunburette
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

While this isn't as great as Five Circles or Albert's Song, I was floored when Story Never Ends won the Steward's Cup Classic Pace last year!

Also, I am pretty sure many were also shocked when Prayers won the Y37 Steward's Cup Distaff. I know I was LOL
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

The SC Turf Sprint Year 37

Definitely a longshot...Fortification at age 7, became, at that time, the oldest horse to win that race - beating Soldier Field, Bone Against Steel, and Closet Monster.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Not the longest of shots because she was in form but it was still pretty incredible to see Queen of Atlantis become the first 3yo filly to win the SC Turf after being headed by Coleman Hell and bravely coming back to beat him and champions like Reddington, Sideshow, Take Me Up and Rostov.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Carole Hanson wrote: 5 years ago Not the longest of shots because she was in form but it was still pretty incredible to see Queen of Atlantis become the first 3yo filly to win the SC Turf after being headed by Coleman Hell and bravely coming back to beat him and champions like Reddington, Sideshow, Take Me Up and Rostov.
That’s awesome!!!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Anne Conradt
Derby Contender

Post by Anne Conradt »

This is going to be a walk down Memory Lane, with a side stop on Nostalgia Street.

Oh, and I can see now that the "And, why?" part ... well, maybe it wasn't so necessary, after all.

Sorry. I was kind of asleep when I posted that part. But if you still have something you want to add ... do feel free.

IOW, if I could NEVER miss a detail on a pp chart and/or be able to talk to horses .. and have them talk back to me ... like I do the equine's occasional human athletic equivalent, I'd probably spend a lot more time at race tracks.

Horses are more fun :)
:arrow: I always pay attention when Eric Hamme talks about horses running in Maryland.
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

I always thought A Harp for Hannah's SC win was an upset. From maiden claimer to 3 YO SC F&M Mile winner in a year was pretty astonishing, in my opinion. (and one reason I don't dump lesser galloping yearlings/2 YO's)
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

The Steward wrote: 5 years ago Five Circles in the Classic

This is why I miss the race calls posted in the forum. I didn't know if anyone noticed. :)
Brian Leavitt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brian Leavitt »

Ok now I'm curious, how long ago in real time was Year 9?

And I have personally never really had any massive upsets like what I'm seeing in this thread. Best I've got is Pingu over horses like Quite the Feat and Andre in the Turf.
I have a stable full of cats
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Leonard Beagle wrote: 5 years ago

This is why I miss the race calls posted in the forum. I didn't know if anyone noticed. :)
I'm sad you weren't there, it was a HUGE deal, ask anyone in there! Plus you can listen to it now on YouTube :-)
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Anne Conradt
Derby Contender

Post by Anne Conradt »

Anymore shocking upsets? Anyone?

I'll start on the article about late / early Thursday-ish, Knock it out in an hour, so it'll be ready for the weekend. Give people another thing to read over the weekend.

Thanks for all those posted so far, and hopefully for a few more to come.

These are really amazing efforts.
/