How do you gallop?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

How do you gallop?

1 Individual divisions (ts, ds, aws, dm, tm, awm...etc)
35%
2 individual breeds (appys, quarters, tbs...etc)
15%
3 Gallop absolute favorites individually
13%
4 send them all at once...look out here they come!
27%
5 other, explain, please
11%

Total votes: 55

Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

How do you gallop?

Post by Nick Gilmore »

I usually train by divisions, but I’m looking to change things to lengthen festivus, how about you?
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Re: How do you gallop?

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Of those 5 options, I practice #3,
Followed by #1. And not my “favorites” necessarily, but more the ones I looked at on paper and really thought they could be something as soon as they hit the ground. I would have to look at the last crop, but I would guess this “one at a time” group comprises around 5% of my total crop.

Then for most of the rest, I go one division at a time and that helps me spot weaker places in my future breeding, honestly. If I have nice Milers but so-so Sprinters, I know what to work on in relative terms for the next crops.

There are a couple of breeds that I breed with, shall we say, less intensity — Paints are an example for me — and I just gallop them all as a breed and see if there are any nice surprises.
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

In the past, I've done it by division.

This past year, I did individual gallops for all 273 yearlings (yes, there is something wrong with me). Since I have Monday off, I might do it again...
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

I used to Gallop one by one when I kept a spreadsheet.
Stopped keeping spreadsheets 4-5 seasons ago so now I put the ones I really care about in a foal barn named “Excited to Gallop”. I put a rule in place to auto transfer all the horses at 1 to the “Excited Yearlings to Gallop” barn.

Then I mass gallop by breed/sire all the rest and then tackle the “Excited Yearlings to Gallop” horses one by one.

Oh yea and always have music :)
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I go by breeds and then gallop them individually. So, like, select Appaloosa and gallop my appaloosa's one by one. This takes AGES but if I get a gallop as a group, get a gallop piece and fail to open said horse in a new tab... I get mad. LOL
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I have a custom barn for sorting my favourite foals into, they get galloped first one by one (cause if they are majorly disappointing hopefully something random that I didn’t think would be nice will cheer me up lol) then I do my mixers, each breed as a group, then the rest of my TBs by division!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Mmmm...back to individual gallops? Maybe...
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I gallop by breeds.
And more often than not, after works are allowed... I into a breed...for example, Quarter Horse, and start with the dirt sprinters...do a workout and gallop them right after their workout. Then I go on to do the QH mid distance and routers..work/gallop.

But I only gallop right after a workout if I don't have an equipment piece from earlier gallops.
For those horses that a galloped piece, I just do the workouts with them using their known piece paired with a different piece...to try to find the best timed workout.

Also, for those horses that get a piece of equipment from a gallop, I work them first and individually before going on to select all the rest for that breed and same distances and doing a mass workout and gallop.

I also vet check a few and try to find on that is very unsound and use that horse to gauge when the next work and gallop session should take place. I usually give the whole lot a week off just to make sure that while the vet says they are ok and won't break... I still want to make sure that also not just plain weary...and thus tossing out slower times.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Flizan Hambletonian
Turf Router

Post by Flizan Hambletonian »

Polk and I gallop the horses one by one, comparing with each other. Rewards (wine, chocolate, etc) for every freak. :)
Country House Turf Router, AW Router, Steeplechaser
Smoke and Gusto Paint Dirt Router
Flizans Bourbon Steeplechaser
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I used to do it individually, then I switched to by division and now I just gallop all of them at once.
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

I gallop everyone at once then as they get their pieces of equipment (or don't), they're broken into work groups.
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

I gallop them one at a time... 700 of them. takes a while...
Polk Buffalo Stallions
Yoboki Arabian Router 40k
Blue Daub Adee Appy Mid 20k

and many more...
Natasha Yar
Miler

Post by Natasha Yar »

One by one to really drag out the process for maximum excitement.
Aloretta Dethly
Miler

Post by Aloretta Dethly »

I gallop one by one saving the ones I'm looking forward to the most for last.
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Post by Lisa Bennert »

I gallop all from individual divions at once... from every individual breed... and save a handful of favorites (from about 120) to gallop individually for the end.
...Now what do I select here? :D