Simmy awards

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Re: Simmy awards

Post by J.r. Lewis »

Kaine Saracen wrote: 4 years ago
not less biased if it tried? Points used to select the Simmy nominees are the same points used from races. Some races are worth 200 points while compatible purse/grade races in other divisions are worth less than that. Two year old simmy's will automatically favour sprinters over milers and routers due to the fact that they start months earlier. In most cases, a horse can ship in from whoop whop, win an SC and automatically get nominated above a horse that has won multiple times in that region.
As for "was a popularity contest", it still is when it comes to voting.
So ya... It definitely needs an overhaul. In an ideal situation, there would be a points system that doesn't favour any division/age group and wouldn't need voting at the end of the year.

Do I have a better solution at this moment, not at this time, because I am not inclined to waste hours on getting a solution that would be ignored anyway.
What about average points per race? I think that would be a step towards solving the sprinter bias for 2yo horses of the year at least. It wouldn't solve the region issue however.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Laura Smith wrote: 4 years ago For those who want the Simmy process overhauled, I ask how exactly?
The human Simmys, sure. Those are weird.
But horse-wise? We used to do nominations by committee, but people cried that it was a popularity contest. Now it's done automatically by points, which couldn't be less biased if it tried, and people still don't like it, so...?
There are those who say "let's just get rid of the Simmys" but I think a lot of us like year-end awards. I personally enjoy the challenge of racing a maybe-not-quite-SC-quality horse on a specific circuit all year in the hopes of getting an award. It's fun. Wouldn't want to see them go away.

not less biased if it tried? Points used to select the Simmy nominees are the same points used from races. Some races are worth 200 points while compatible purse/grade races in other divisions are worth less than that. Two year old simmy's will automatically favour sprinters over milers and routers due to the fact that they start months earlier. In most cases, a horse can ship in from whoop whop, win an SC and automatically get nominated above a horse that has won multiple times in that region.
As for "was a popularity contest", it still is when it comes to voting.
So ya... It definitely needs an overhaul. In an ideal situation, there would be a points system that doesn't favour any division/age group and wouldn't need voting at the end of the year.

Do I have a better solution at this moment, not at this time, because I am not inclined to waste hours on getting a solution that would be ignored anyway.
Flawed, sure, but can't argue that the points system as it is now is biased.
Short of hiring a committee of non-SIM-playing judges who have no knowledge of players or drama but yet have the tenacity to sift through each individual race, the horses in it, their relative quality, etc... not sure there is a solution.
Unless we could come up with some sort of more complicated nomination process which considers not only points but # of starts in the region, relative quality of competition, etc etc... but I feel like there are bigger fish to fry than this issue which does come up once a year, but only once a year.
Biased, lazy or uninformed voting will always be an issue as long as voting exists... just like in real life ;)
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Flizan Hambletonian
Turf Router

Post by Flizan Hambletonian »

What if we didn't vote? The best performances get the simmys? I truly believe that some ppl get the simmys just because it's them, not because they have the best horse. A bit of a popularity contest...
Country House Turf Router, AW Router, Steeplechaser
Smoke and Gusto Paint Dirt Router
Flizans Bourbon Steeplechaser
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Admin should do all the voting haha.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Just take out all the identifying criteria

North American Two Year Old Horse

Candidate #1 - 2 G1 wins, 1 G3
Candidate #2 - 1 G1 win, 1 restricted
Candidate #3 - 2 G2 wins, 1 G3

Of course if a Sprinter has won 5 Graded stakes over a router that has 1 graded stakes, you'd pick the sprinter but maybe the sprinter SHOULD be picked as that is a hard achievement to do usually.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Nena Olson wrote: 4 years ago Just take out all the identifying criteria

Of course if a Sprinter has won 5 Graded stakes over a router that has 1 graded stakes, you'd pick the sprinter but maybe the sprinter SHOULD be picked as that is a hard achievement to do usually.
That's actually a REALLY interesting way to go. I kinda like it. And an asterisk if it's an SC win
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

The Steward wrote: 4 years ago

That's actually a REALLY interesting way to go. I kinda like it. And an asterisk if it's an SC win
I like it too! Maybe instead of just an asterisk for the SC have one if they won any race in the SIMuseum
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Too many SIMMY categories is a big part of the problem. I'd take the time to seriously vote on 10-12 awards for TB horses, but I sure has heck am not going to waste my time on dozens and dozens of categories. It's not a popular option and would never happen, but kill all the regional SIMMY awards. It's not like this is the real world where geography really comes into play - in the Sim a horse can run in Islands, Europe, South America and the USA in the same year easily, and that's not even all the regions.

Give each division a single award, with performances from everywhere taken into account. Better horses will get nominated, and people will actually be able to digest the nominees.

Also include a hard limit of three nominees per category. There's some divisions that have eight nominees now, that's just absurd.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

I always find it interesting how much angst Simmys generate. Don't get me wrong I like winning them (speaking of which I think if you look specifically at South Pacific performance I think you will find a standout in that HOY category with 4 Grade 1 wins) but what do they really get us?? The horse ones not even a trophy in our trophy case :(
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

The Steward wrote: 4 years ago

I like the idea of an asterisk for any of the SIM Museum races since the Arc, Triple Crown, Sprint Champs are just as important imo!
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Tammy Stawicki wrote: 4 years ago I always find it interesting how much angst Simmys generate. Don't get me wrong I like winning them (speaking of which I think if you look specifically at South Pacific performance I think you will find a standout in that HOY category with 4 Grade 1 wins) but what do they really get us?? The horse ones not even a trophy in our trophy case :(
Maybe it would be nice for them to actually mean something?
Ryan Whitehead
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Ryan Whitehead »

Tammy Stawicki wrote: 4 years ago I always find it interesting how much angst Simmys generate. Don't get me wrong I like winning them (speaking of which I think if you look specifically at South Pacific performance I think you will find a standout in that HOY category with 4 Grade 1 wins) but what do they really get us?? The horse ones not even a trophy in our trophy case :(
Would that be Phenomenal One who won 4 G1 races and a 2nd place in another G1?
Improvisational 80K
Fade to Black 50K
Moneyed 40K
Moose Knuckle 28K
Forefront 15K
Kaine Saracen
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kaine Saracen »

Ryan Whitehead wrote: 4 years ago
That would be a big fat no! Yeah, your horse had a great year, but ONE race in the South Pacific region is not warranting a region of the year trophy in my opinion.
What I do find amusing is Thunder Horse and Red Balloon winning their respective Simmy's. The former won a Single G1 and 2x G2 where as With Us in Spirit won THREE G1's and a sponsored race. Not sure what the thought processes there were, but I am sure it could not have been the sponsored race since Joey's Red Balloon won his older horse title on what appears to be the strength of TWO sponsored G1's. :lol:
Joseph Depaulo
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Joseph Depaulo »

Ryan Whitehead wrote: 4 years ago
That would be a big fat no! Yeah, your horse had a great year, but ONE race in the South Pacific region is not warranting a region of the year trophy in my opinion.
What I do find amusing is Thunder Horse and Red Balloon winning their respective Simmy's. The former won a Single G1 and 2x G2 where as With Us in Spirit won THREE G1's and a sponsored race. Not sure what the thought processes there were, but I am sure it could not have been the sponsored race since Joey's Red Balloon won his older horse title on what appears to be the strength of TWO sponsored G1's. :lol:

i think you got a little mixed up there good sir i dont own red balloon wish i did though
Kaine Saracen
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kaine Saracen »

Joseph Depaulo wrote: 4 years ago
i think you got a little mixed up there good sir i dont own red balloon wish i did though
I very much did... Glenn L is the owner :oops: