I need advice on how to quit.

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

I need advice on how to quit.

Post by Andrea Bouwkamp »

How does one go about doing this?
My bloodstock is useful but after years of playing this game, I am not advancing at all.
I don’t chat and apparently that is the way ‘in’ with this game. My health took a nose dive and I just don’t have the time nor money to devote to my stable. I have had fun but in the next couple upcoming years, I will not be “Stakes” competitive, which kills any fun for me.
Combine this with my health issues, I am just a downer.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Re: I need advice on how to quit.

Post by Laura Smith »

Andrea Bouwkamp wrote: 4 years ago I don’t chat and apparently that is the way ‘in’ with this game.
First of all, It isn't. Plenty of successful players, myself included, rarely or never show up in chat.

As for the rest of it, not sure what to tell you. If you only enjoy racing top level stakes horses, yeah, that's tough. The great majority of us don't spend most of our time racing top level stakes horses. If you don't enjoy allowance horses or claiming races, then, yeah, it might be awfully hard for you to have a good time playing. Very few of us ever strike lightning and get that super unbeatable ultra-freak -- even most Stew-breds that we all drop hundreds of millions on every year are not superstars.

I've been here for many, many years, and a couple seasons ago, I didn't breed any TBs higher than allowance. It happens. Are you giving your horses that gallop "badly" a chance on the track? I seem to hear this often, hopelessness on gallop day because there were no stakes or freaks. It doesn't mean your SIM future is in the toilet. Allowance and lower can still be fun and profitable.

Sorry to hear about your health. I hope it improves. I can't provide any insight on the actual process of quitting because I have literally never considered it.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

I know there is somewhere that tells you how many horses you can give away before leaving, things like that, I just can't find it. :( I'm sure if you send a PM through the Contact Us link Em can fill you in on all that you would need to do.

If worse comes to worse, you can just stop playing and I think after 3 or 4 months (? don't remember the time) your stable will be dispersed.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
George Knatz
Miler

Post by George Knatz »

Options

1. Try taking a season off, see if you can get an assistant to enter for you.

2. Have an auction. Sell everything. If you come back you will have some cash.

3. Just never log in. The Steward will auction off your horses in a few (8) weeks. I do not know if the cash goes to you in this situation.

I hope you pick option one. A break may be all you need.
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Would be very sorry to see you go Andrea but here is the link I was talking about:

https://www.simhorseracing.com/rules.php

Leaving the Simulation
If you do not enter and race at least one horse for 45 days in a row, the computer will automatically remove you from the game after sending out two warnings. Your horses will be dispersed on the New Player Sales Page for $1,000 each after a final 7 day warnings. In the instance of illness or emergency, we will strive to hold your stable for you if warning is given first. Once your horses are dispersed, you cannot return 6 months later and ask for all of them back.

If you decide to leave the SIMulation, you may choose 30% of your horses to give to whoever you wish (say you have 100 horses, you can give 30 to Player A, or 15 to Player A and 15 to Player B, etc). If you need to leave due to moving, travel, illness, etc, you can gift your entire stable to one member of your household if A. you can prove they are a second person that lives in your household and are not yourself B. they do not already have a SIM account. SIM money cannot be transferred to any other account. Game points can be given. You may disperse your farms, however, no more than 1 per player. The rest of the horses will be dispersed however the Steward sees fit. Pending auction horses may not be given. In the instance of illness or emergency, we will strive to hold your stable for you if warning is given first. Once your horses are dispersed, you cannot return 6 months later and ask for all of them back.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

I've been here since SIM year 19 and "quit" once after a particularly frustrating year. The game kept calling to me, "come back" and I did. My horses were sold but I still had a bankroll to come back to, a new idea of how many horses I could handle and some really special SIM friends who helped speed my game play along. I don't go in the chat room or have special alliances (I still do have special connections). It can be a tough game because there are lifetime players and new players who work exceptionally hard and really know significantly more about it than I do (or care to). I have found where my happy place is in the SIM, when that doesn't work I might consider life without SIM Horse Racing.

If your health is making it difficult to be here in the SIM and the SIM isn't helping you cope, than a break is probably in order and Lori has provided the rules for doing that.

I hope all your health issues get resolved quickly!!!
*Sugar Bottom Stable
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I've had some amazing years and then some not so great ones, and those have sometimes made me consider leaving, but I've always found the Sim helps me out when reality is frustrating and stressful. For the most part I find whittling down to the horses that are the most fun to run helps, and I'll be whittling down even more at the end of this year/ beginning of year 54 since I'll be spending the end of 2019 and most of 2020 travelling.

I hope your health improves, and if you need a break, take a break. Do what's best for you.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

The problem is ....... you're a Michigan fan!

Try rooting for Nebraska!
Kim Helley
Two Year Old

Post by Kim Helley »

So, if you want to take the sim year off, I would be more than happy to race your stock if you want to lease them to me and just check in every so often? I’m still learning the game and the more horses I have to practice with the better. Message me if you want to try this :)
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

I thank everyone who responded for their perspectives, advice and opinions. It’s a very busy weekend cause we are camping. I only have time to respond to this right now because we are at the store and near a cell tower. I will post more later.
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Gwayne Mike wrote: 4 years ago The problem is ....... you're a Michigan fan!

Try rooting for Nebraska!
Ha ha ha..
Never. GoBlue! ;)
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

I think it would be easier for me if I drastically cut down my stable size. I only have a few TBs I would keep. I just don’t have enough time to train properly and cannot afford to set up a sale since that costs GPs. I think hiring someone to manage(train) my horses would be great. My time is very limited. I cannot do it right now. It just amazes me in how some here can manage a thousand horses. WOW. I also want to say that I do love racing my allowance level horses, but that does vary by division. Allowance in turf sprinters is very profitable whereas dirt routers they are claimers.
Most of my stakes Pacers are running in claiming races cause there are so many freaks. This should really be changed so you know what you really have. The same can be said for Arabians.
I really HATE the inconsistency of the gallop rankings. I would love it to be more true to form in Mixers. At least with TBs, you know what you got for the most part minus dirt routers.

I am running out of time writing this right now since I have a doctor appointment in a few. I gotta get off my iPad for now. I will check back this evening.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Andrea Bouwkamp wrote: 4 years ago I really HATE the inconsistency of the gallop rankings. I would love it to be more true to form in Mixers. At least with TBs, you know what you got for the most part minus dirt routers.
This actually did get changed a few SIM years ago. Stakes now really means probably stakes in most breeds, and freaks are quite rare (if you look through the mixer gallops thread it should prove my point.) I think Standardbreds are still a little out of whack though.

Try cutting down for sure, or, as suggested, taking a break for a season and getting someone else to run things for you, and see how you feel. Hope things work out.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.