Converting DRs to DMs

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Converting DRs to DMs

Post by Durzo Blint »

I'm hoping to potentially focus on DM's going forward. I noticed in the Pegasus Dirt Mile, that Time over Time (https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=878528) was a DR but has had clear success as a DM.

I have numerous DRs that are promising, but wondering if this is something that is common or something that should be explored with my DRs. I'm assuming this is a very rare exception, but any insight the vets have, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Re: Converting DRs to DMs

Post by Garret Folsom »

It depends on the horse. All of Time was able to run at a mile and at route distances. Doctor Who and Reverend Jamison are both example of this.

I've starting playing around with some of my underperforming route horses to see if they do any better at a mile. Only a couple of them have worked out.

Some Routers like to go longer distances, some are better at the shorter route distances, so you have to find the right mix.
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

im wondering why that horse was retired??
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

No reason to have retired him after one bad race, especially when he's got zero value retired.
Te Akau Downs
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Te Akau Downs »

not all horses can race on as older horses, he dropped in gallop and it was always a concern trying him at 7yo, he had such great gate speed and front running ability that i knew the day he lost his brilliant gate speed would be the day he goes to the paddock, like many good sprinter/ milers in real life i rode trackwork the minute i told the trainer they have lost their natural speed and they couldn't finish a race off like they used to was the day they retired them, i could've flogged him around for the rest of the year to win a weak stakes somewhere but when he failed to jump from the gates last night i knew that he was telling me he's had enough, like chautauqua when he refused to jump full stop he kept telling them yep im done with racing, hope that clears up the comments for all
PATIENCE is the cheapest thing in racing and least used.. J.B Cummings..
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

The Dirt Miler / Router line is very very porous. Lots of routers run well at a mile and lots of milers can win short routes. I definitely encourage working your horses at both 4f and 5f.

a good example of this is this horse https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=904661 He has basically no miler breeding and was exceptional at a mile.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time