Weather Preference

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Weather Preference

Post by Durzo Blint »

If your horse "loves mud" do you exclusively try to enter them only in races that are sloppy/raining? What if the horse just "likes mud", do you actively avoid dry races? Just wondering how I should handle my stakes horses with these preferences, thanks!
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Re: Weather Preference

Post by Regina Moore »

I think most feel that weather preference is a minor consideration. It's one of those things where, if two or more races fit your horse for its next race, you choose the one with its weather preference. But if there's only one race appropriate for your horse, you don't bypass the race just becauses of weather.

Here's two Steward's Cup winners I've had that preferred wet weather. Notice how infrequently they raced on wet tracks.

Gunmetal Grey
War Lock
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Em has said that it's a minor factor, about the same amount of influence as the jockey factor, which is more or less equal to winning or losing a photo finish.
I think a lot of people put too much emphasis on weather conditions when there are so many other factors that go into a race outcome, most of them more influential.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

Great, thank you Regina and Laura!
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

I thought weather preference was a pretty big deal, he wasn’t very good until I started running him exclusively in the heavy rain and then he won two stakes races including a G3 and ran 2nd in another G3. https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=947754
yeah
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I've had "Love Mud" horses that ran on dry tracks, but more often than not, they don't do as well.

And since there's only 1 dry track condition and 3 wet track conditions I try to take advantage of that by putting horses that like different amounts of rain, into the best track condition that I can.

~I try to keep the "Love Mud" horses on the 2 wettest types: Yielding/Muddy and Soft/Sloppy.

~Those that are 'Likes Mud" type horses: I try to keep them on the good tracks with dry tracks as my 2nd choice. I kind of think they are in-between those two conditions. But if need be, if I can't find a good or dry track, I'll go on into the yielding/muddy or soft/sloppy tracks with a "Likes Mud" horse.

Those that are "Likes Dry" type horses, I do the same, as with the 'Likes Mud' types - but with my major preference, of course, being in trying to find them a dry track...and I will occasionally use a good track - but I try to avoid the other two wetter conditions.

And the Loves Dry... I try to keep them only on dry tracks only.

I know it might just be a small difference, as some here stated, but that small difference, added to other things, like a long ship, or say I bought a horse that's never been pony, gate, or paddock trained yet...(these being very small advantages too)...and if I'm using one of my 'good' jockeys on it, rather than my highly rated one (still trying to get another high rated jock but keep failing)...then those little things add up and could mean a horse getting beat by a nose, or a head in a race where another horse of equal or even slightly lesser talent has all of those advantages on their side.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Weather or not?

The quality of competition and fitness on race day, trump (sorry POTUS) weather as a factor IMO!
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.