A Purple Banner...

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Brad Searcy
Miler

A Purple Banner...

Post by Brad Searcy »

I see that the Steward's Notices were just updated to include a big purple banner indicating that SIM 8.0 is coming in less than three months. That's great. Are we going to get any concrete information about what exactly that means? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is curious about what, if any, adjustments we need to make to our barns ahead of these, improvements.

With the recent decisions being made with the game, I think it's perfectly fair for paying customers (this is a pay to win game after all) to wonder what is going to happen. To wit, the decision to implement sending a "young" horse to AJ costing $5k across the board (instead of grading it by player experience [new player, intermediate, etc.], which in my opinion is the blatantly obvious way to do this) makes me really nervous about the new version. By the way, I've been here a long time, and I am totally willing to cop the $5k fee to shed a mistake, but if you're a new player, that's completely excessive.

I'd also like to share that I think its worse than disappointing that the "Ask The Experts" section of the 4th edge of this year was an explanation of why the game malfunctioned. I totally understand that this game is complicated, and stuff will happen, but that seemed super cheap to me. The information provided there should've have been provided to everyone, not just have been privy to payers. Honestly though, that section of the Edge is largely useless anyway, but still.

In summation, I think the players of this game should be as informed as possible about the coming changes, and not have to deal with information being treated like treasure. And I can see it now, people getting uppity about my assertion that this is a pay to win game. That's fine, hold whatever opinion you want, but if that is you, I invite you to play without SIMperior status or access to the studbook...
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Re: A Purple Banner...

Post by Laura Smith »

OK.

One. Are we going to get concrete information? No. That was a teaser. Like a movie trailer. There will be more.
Two. What exactly are you worried about? I've been here for THIRTEEN REAL LIFE YEARS and there have been ZERO changes that I haven't come to terms with, including those which I was initially strongly against.
Three. Yes, I am going to get uppity about your assertion. It would be entirely possible to play effectively without SIMperior, it would just take far more time. There are still successful breeders who don't use hypomates. The SIMperior tools are just that... tools.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

I keep throwing money at my computer but I still haven't won the Steward's Cup Classic :(
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Mmm, I remember back in year 30 when we were first offered the choice of buying a piece of equipment. That gave my game a healthy boost. And don’t even think about asking me to play without the stud book! Won’t happen, ever!

As for the “Ask the Experts” section, if you are not happy with the questions, come up with better ones. You’re a bright boy Brad, Emily would probably appreciate useful input.

And yes, the banner is a teaser. Madame Steward has a twisted sense of humour!
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

I haven't spent real money on game points since Year 44.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

We don't usually get much lead time about specifics. In my experience, the time when we get the most info about changes is during the Steward's Cup race calls in chat the final two days of Week 16. Sometimes, when it's been suggested that a lot of changes are on the horizon, and even if I didn't have a horse in any of the SC Thoroughbred races, I'd be in chat just to get the specifics on what's coming in the new year.

Occasionally, if there's something major coming that might impact strategy with the year turnover, our home pages will give a heads-up about the specific thing so we can make changes/decisions before the year turns over. (Eg, I recall that we were told ahead of time that the fee for AJing a horse was increasing, so players had a chance to cull their barns more aggressively than they otherwise might have.)

Mostly though, it's a "we don't know until we know" thing.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Am moderately offended at the idea that we tried to "hide" info on the game glitches by using the Edge. Pretty sure that anyone who knows me knows that I A. Just didn't have anyone else lined up in the Edge, and knew the Admin would answer in the five minutes allowed before posted and B. That I thought it was an amusing anecdote. Outside the Edge, info on the results glitches was offered here, in the chat room, on Twitter, and via people who asked in email. Sorry to anyone who thought I was hiding it!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Corey Lange
Miler

Post by Corey Lange »

The banner is actually an update (with more concrete information) from a banner that was up 3 months ago! It also have given you a concrete date for something that is still nearly 3 months away, and gives you plenty of time to plan before anything actually happens.

As to your other assertion, anyone who has been around this game for a long time knows the Em is more than open with how this game works, and the successes and glitches that happen occasionally on a coded game. I for one have appreciated this openness, and have seen the game grow as the years have moved along.

Finally, in the pay to win argument. This game is not meant for financial benefits, you can succeed without paying (with a lot more hard work) or you can enjoy paying for a product that makes the game more enjoyable, and less time consuming. However neither option guarantees your success or winning at the highest level.
Randell Johnson
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Randell Johnson »

The Steward has always been open, but I just have a quick comment about game being pay to play.

I have Simperior almost every week, and I have only ever spent $5's on the game - for 5K gamepoints! Now it doesn't take much math to know, that 5k gamepoints doesn't make it the 30 some sim years (although the exchange has only been around since like year 40) I have been playing. You have sim money - there is an exchange - you can get gamepoints! NO PAY TO PLAY! Just use your money a little differently... Just my opinion, you can take it with a grain of salt.
Gunite - https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1785312
DM/DS & Steeplechaser - RL Steward Created, A's & A+'s

Chase Elliott - https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1241172
Stewards Cup, Saudi, Pegasus Winner
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

The Steward wrote: 4 years ago Am moderately offended at the idea that we tried to "hide" info on the game glitches by using the Edge. Pretty sure that anyone who knows me knows that I A. Just didn't have anyone else lined up in the Edge, and knew the Admin would answer in the five minutes allowed before posted and B. That I thought it was an amusing anecdote. Outside the Edge, info on the results glitches was offered here, in the chat room, on Twitter, and via people who asked in email. Sorry to anyone who thought I was hiding it!
The Situation described in Point A here is the one I had envisioned almost exactly. Had to meet a deadline, also had a person available to share a story. I like a good old fashioned conspiracy theory as much as the next person, but it never crossed my mind that the Edge was used here as an information bypass route.
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

I have to say I'm always amazed at the "man on the grassy knoll" type post. And by that I mean really thinking the game is out to get them, sc rew them over or there is a big hidden agenda.

Have you ever seen businesses like Target, Walmart, Amazon try to create buzz but promising something big is coming? Did you email them and demand to know what it was because you spend money there?

As far as the not paying real money.. it can be done. Is it easier with GPs? But Uh yea this is after all a business where people have to pay bills.

I've always wanted to start a barn and not play with GPs, simperior,stud page etc just to show that it can be done. But then there would be a section of people that would complain because I'm not a new player and what is the point. These type of people are always going to LOOK for things to say are suspect, not fair etc. And no matter how much you explain stuff they won't believe you.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Last night I wanted to say something, typed out a couple of replies but they were all so grumpy about your attitude 😳

[I just wrote like 3 paragraphs again! 😳]

To summarize: if you have suggestions, The Steward is always willing to hear them, but don’t do it angrily or attack the way she does things. No one likes that attitude.

As for 8.0, I am pretty sure Em is just trying to build excitement! When I saw that banner I scream out loud with glee! The date is set! Now my anticipation is renewed after the announcement of 8.0. I can’t wait to hear more of what’s to come!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Danny Derby wrote: 4 years ago I keep throwing money at my computer but I still haven't won the Steward's Cup Classic :(
Even I have won that haha
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago
Danny Derby wrote: 4 years ago I keep throwing money at my computer but I still haven't won the Steward's Cup Classic :(
Even I have won that haha
And I've even won it twice :lol: :lol:

I guess I threw enough money at the screen!
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Brandon Schultz
Turf Router

Post by Brandon Schultz »

I completely agree. This is all an outrage. A purple banner, really?

Blue is such a better color for my complexion. As a paying customer, I think the steward should have taken that into account.

Phew, I am glad I had a place to get that off my chest!

Now back to losing races and wasting money on breeding.
The Brandon Schultz Stable Website
Now Standing
TB Dirt Sprint | Dopamine ($55k)
TB Dirt Route | Ill With Want ($35k)