Why?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Why?

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I was writing an article for the Crown and noticed something and was curious: Why is the Lexington Oaks purse only $175,000...seems pretty low for a Grade 1, especially such a fancy one.

Edit: There is a G3 with that same purse amount :oops: Admittedly only one, but sad!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Re: Why?

Post by Gwayne's World »

"Ours is not to reason why."

Alfred Lord Tennyson

The Charge of the Light Brigade (Poem)
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

As an aside, I love that poem!
Fanta Arcadia
Eclipse Champion

Post by Fanta Arcadia »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 4 years ago As an aside, I love that poem!
Agreed!

"Ours is not to reason why
Ours is but to do and die
Into the Valley of Death rode the six hundred."

My other favorite of Tennyson's is Ulysses:

"We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
Superbia --> SC Winning Stud from the My Heart of Hearts dynasty --> 40,000 fee
Quetzalcoatl --> G1 winner, Son of SC winner Luxuria, 20,000 fee
Filled With Pride --> G1 winner, Son of SC winner Superbia, 20,000 fee
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

You guys, all sophisticated with your poems and your loving them 😜
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Or, in the words of Tim Allen in Galaxy Quest: "Never give up, never surrender!" ;)
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Kaine Saracen
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kaine Saracen »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago I was writing an article for the Crown and noticed something and was curious: Why is the Lexington Oaks purse only $175,000...seems pretty low for a Grade 1, especially such a fancy one.

Edit: There is a G3 with that same purse amount :oops: Admittedly only one, but sad!
1 1/4 miles. Turf. Thoroughbred. "International Oaks." 3 year olds. Fillies. Stakes. Purse $750,000 - Grade 1 Entry Fee $7,500 (100 points)

Just thought I would highlight the most likely culprit for a G1 lacking purse money. The majority of 3yo races with higher purses are actually dirt races from my searches.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Kaine Saracen wrote: 4 years ago
Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago I was writing an article for the Crown and noticed something and was curious: Why is the Lexington Oaks purse only $175,000...seems pretty low for a Grade 1, especially such a fancy one.

1 1/4 miles. Turf. Thoroughbred. "International Oaks." 3 year olds. Fillies. Stakes. Purse $750,000 - Grade 1 Entry Fee $7,500 (100 points)

Just thought I would highlight the most likely culprit for a G1 lacking purse money. The majority of 3yo races with higher purses are actually dirt races from my searches.
In real life the International Oaks (American Oaks) started at $750,000 on its debut. It was awesome!

This year, it ran for a measly $300,000. Sad for the Oaks.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Dan Gordon
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Dan Gordon »

Well since you brought it up, the winner of that Lexington Oaks, Storm in my Heart, will win the Baltimore Crown. I'm supremely confident going into this race. She is "Very Unsound" and has accomplished all that she has without proper rest. I pointed her to this race so that she can follow in her father's footsteps and capture the Crown. Bet on it!
Joseph Depaulo
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Joseph Depaulo »

Dan Gordon wrote: 4 years ago Well since you brought it up, the winner of that Lexington Oaks, Storm in my Heart, will win the Baltimore Crown. I'm supremely confident going into this race. She is "Very Unsound" and has accomplished all that she has without proper rest. I pointed her to this race so that she can follow in her father's footsteps and capture the Crown. Bet on it!

Good luck dan
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Best of luck Dan.

I bet on Wolfgard.
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Kaine Saracen
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kaine Saracen »

The Steward wrote: 4 years ago
In real life the International Oaks (American Oaks) started at $750,000 on its debut. It was awesome!

This year, it ran for a measly $300,000. Sad for the Oaks.

1,623,900 Pound sterling equals 2,030,039.01 United States Dollar... Relevance, Sims Epsom Derby equivalent is a measly $500k purse compared to the kentucky Derby worth Sim millions.

On another note for the Sim Turf Sprint crowd, have just found a web page referring to Australia's top five purses (The Everest and maybe the Slipper in sim the only one(s) getting the purse respect), but anyways, the new Number 2 on the block passing the Melbourne Cups $7.3m ($1m sim race).
2. The Golden Eagle
The Golden Eagle is a brand new race that is yet to be run. It’s slated for its very first showing at Sydney’s Rosehill Gardens on November 2, 2019. The reason it’s made it to second on this list is that the race organisers are offering a total prize purse of $7.5 million.

Sydney now boasts the two richest horse races in Australia, relegating the Melbourne Cup down to number three.

The Golden Eagle is only open to four-year-olds and will be run over a distance of 1500 metres, making it the first feature race exclusively for this age group. 10% of the prize money will be donated to charity.

https://www.hunterandbligh.com.au/enter ... australia/
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Kaine Saracen wrote: 4 years ago On another note for the Sim Turf Sprint crowd, have just found a web page referring to Australia's top five purses (The Everest and maybe the Slipper in sim the only one(s) getting the purse respect), but anyways, the new Number 2 on the block passing the Melbourne Cups $7.3m ($1m sim race).
2. The Golden Eagle
The Golden Eagle is a brand new race that is yet to be run. It’s slated for its very first showing at Sydney’s Rosehill Gardens on November 2, 2019. The reason it’s made it to second on this list is that the race organisers are offering a total prize purse of $7.5 million.

Sydney now boasts the two richest horse races in Australia, relegating the Melbourne Cup down to number three.

The Golden Eagle is only open to four-year-olds and will be run over a distance of 1500 metres, making it the first feature race exclusively for this age group. 10% of the prize money will be donated to charity.

Now... what SIM charity will be the beneficiary of this yearly windfall? ;)
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.