“Purse Structure Needs a Change” Article

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Re: “Purse Structure Needs a Change” Article

Post by Jo Ferris »

I think things are fine the way they are, being a mixer only trainer, we've got the lowest purses, but the purses are plenty high enough to be able to keep up with cost and earn a hefty profit. My earnings so far this year cover all of my expenses with 30k to spare, this is including 600k+ in stud fee refunds and farm expenses. I've got 12M in the bank right now, more than I've ever had, and I have no clue where to spend it or what to do with it. Mixers don't have steward auctions, players very rarely sell their good stock, there's really nothing to spend it on other than your own expenses, which barely puts a dent in it. With TBs I suppose it is different since there are quality horses for sale all the time, but I still don't think purses need a change anywhere
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Rachael Menke
Miler

Post by Rachael Menke »

Mixers don't have steward auctions, players very rarely sell their good stock, there's really nothing to spend it on other than your own expenses, which barely puts a dent in it.
Since I haven't been in mixers as long as TBs, is there a reason behind no Steward mixer auctions?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Rachael Menke wrote: 4 years ago
Mixers don't have steward auctions, players very rarely sell their good stock, there's really nothing to spend it on other than your own expenses, which barely puts a dent in it.
Since I haven't been in mixers as long as TBs, is there a reason behind no Steward mixer auctions?
Some people don't like the idea of a powerful breeder churning out your competition every year, so we leave some divisions alone to be player-supported only where you can get away from Steward-breds, and some divisions where you in theory have the capability of buying your way in competitively (TBs).
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

The Steward wrote: 4 years ago
Some people don't like the idea of a powerful breeder churning out your competition every year, so we leave some divisions alone to be player-supported only where you can get away from Steward-breds, and some divisions where you in theory have the capability of buying your way in competitively (TBs).
There are occasional mixer horses that are created by Em and sold in an auction, like the holiday horses or the player owned RL studs, but they're pretty rare. Not complaining at all, just kinda at a point where it's like "what's next?", I've reached my goals, so just gotta set new goals
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Jo Ferris wrote: 4 years ago

There are occasional mixer horses that are created by Em and sold in an auction, like the holiday horses or the player owned RL studs, but they're pretty rare. Not complaining at all, just kinda at a point where it's like "what's next?", I've reached my goals, so just gotta set new goals
Expand into a division or distance you are not in.
Try to breed multi distance horses by experimentation.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Brad Fabman
Derby Contender

Post by Brad Fabman »

I am thrilled their are no Steward Breds in the mixer divisions. I personally am beginning to drift away from thoroughbreds. Taking on the artificially supped up monsters is impossible, not that I actually do that very often. I just can't stand how erratic they are. 50 speed rating one race and 85 the next or visa versa. Drives me nuts! For no apparent reason. Tired of staring at the computer screen and asking myself WTH just happened there? I just try to stick with what I'm a little better at because I obviosly am clueless when it comes to thoroughbreds.
Fabman Farms - Simmy Awards Won: Y54-Quarter Horse Champion Three Year Old Female - Beena's Gold
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Along those lines mixers are a great place for a newer player trying to get a foothold to get involved. I have spent millions on thoroughbreds through the years and while I have had some nice stewardbred race horses I continue to struggle to generate a breeding operation that can consistently turn out nice horses. Meanwhile I have quite the paint breeding operation with mares that come from families that have been successful in my hands for multiple generations and tie back to horses that were much cheaper than my dud thoroughbreds.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

Tammy Stawicki wrote: 4 years ago

Along those lines mixers are a great place for a newer player trying to get a foothold to get involved. I have spent millions on thoroughbreds through the years and while I have had some nice stewardbred race horses I continue to struggle to generate a breeding operation that can consistently turn out nice horses. Meanwhile I have quite the paint breeding operation with mares that come from families that have been successful in my hands for multiple generations and tie back to horses that were much cheaper than my dud thoroughbreds.
YES!! When I lucked out when I bought Crossword Puzzle, I spent basically everything he earned on the track and stud fees (at least 3-4 million) trying to build a nice DS program and it went nowhere what so ever. Meanwhile, my paints I started with claimer mares and bred up to where I am now with paints. I had a ton of fun breeding up my paints, lotta trial and error, figuring out crosses, what to look for in claimer fillies, ect... but at the end of the day when you get that big horse, that was all you and your success. Buying success doesn't give you that satisfaction nor does it give you longevity. Back in my TB days I bought 2 steward breds I believe, both were complete duds I don't even know their names... While mixers are getting harder to start a nice operation, they are far easier still than TBs, and far cheaper
Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago Try to breed multi distance horses by experimentation.
GENIUS!!
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

I support slashing stakes purses across the board but I think there are a handful of races where the purse needs to be bumped. The Lousiville Derby is worth 3 mil in real life but only 2 mil in the Sim, and since it's arguably the biggest race in the Sim it should have a much higher purse than it does; you should get more for winning the derby than you do for winning the SC juvenile, and I'd personally prefer to see it go north of 3 mil.

When it comes to evening out things for newer players I'd support a price bump at both Trial + Junior park, that keeps us older players out of those races and gives newer players more money to play with.
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown