Copy cats!!!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Copy cats!!!

Post by The Steward »

"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Re: Copy cats!!!

Post by Steve Leavitt »

Oh, this is great! Taking their cues from you, eh?
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

The TB foal crop in North American reached a peak of around 52,000 in the early 80s. And back then, even top stallions only bred around 50-60 mares a year. So, I've been floored in modern times to see books of hundreds of mares when there's so few foals, relatively, being bred.

Seems like a good move, but I wonder how legal it is. Surely, farms are going to push back that they're being capped re how much money than can make.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I assume they can raise their stud fees? Their stallions spots will be WAY more desirable
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Kaine Saracen
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kaine Saracen »

A lovely looking sentiment, one that I see falling by the wayside before it is fully implemented.
As previously stated, Stud owners will cry poor at the loss of dollars. "Fans" will cry foul when popular studs stand outside the US where they can produce a lot more. If the US tries enforcing the rule globally by limiting the number of offspring allowed to race throughout the year then any international runners will naturally stop running in events like the breeders cup which will ultimately leave the event as a local race week and severely hamper its value and thus its purse in future years.
Joseph Depaulo
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Joseph Depaulo »

Storm cats stud fee of 1m $ will be rivaled the small breeder with a superstar mare won't be able to get to the top studs
Willowcreek Farms
Classic Contender

Post by Willowcreek Farms »

I worked for a stud farm in Australia where their flagship sire covered almost 250 mares in a season, would over any and every mare. That does nothing for the owners of the mares hoping to get a decent return at the sales. Clearly just a cash grab by the stud farm, all just about quickly cashing in for short term profit....and no long term vision for the industry.
“ A lot of it is out of your hands and the more you do this the more you realize this."
-Chad Brown
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

They might just send all their better stallions out of country.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Regina Moore wrote: 4 years ago Seems like a good move, but I wonder how legal it is. Surely, farms are going to push back that they're being capped re how much money than can make.
I imagine they can't actually limit mares bred, but I can't see a reason why they couldn't limit the number of foals they will register from a given stallion each year which would essentially have the same effect. If they can say how the foal has to be conceived I don't think its a stretch to say they could start adding limits.

Though since this is the Jockey club I would imagine the limit would only apply to thoroughbred foals with crossbred foals being regulated separately. Separate limits for within breed and crossbreed now theres an idea...
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

Yet another thing they've stolen from us! They added some of the BC races after we'd already been running them too :lol:
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Dawn Palka
Miler

Post by Dawn Palka »

Rebecca Rose Hepburn wrote: 4 years ago Yet another thing they've stolen from us! They added some of the BC races after we'd already been running them too :lol:
Em, time to call your lawyer! :P