So many limits

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Re: So many limits

Post by Amy Bahama »

Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago I have no problem with Laura or anyone else bidding 7 or 8m for the 3 they are allowed. Good luck to them. I'm less keen on the idea that anyone can buy the limit of 3 and get around that limit by giving them to their own partnership (which they can later get back when the partnership dissolves) just so they can buy more.

I don't know either you or Nick but I know who I'd rather have as a rl friend if I did.
I sincerely hope it isn't me. I don't really need any more rl friends. Stay cool.
Iron City Louisiana

Home to many quality stallions to meet all your racing needs for a reasonable fee.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Amy Bahama wrote: 4 years ago
Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago I have no problem with Laura or anyone else bidding 7 or 8m for the 3 they are allowed. Good luck to them. I'm less keen on the idea that anyone can buy the limit of 3 and get around that limit by giving them to their own partnership (which they can later get back when the partnership dissolves) just so they can buy more.

I don't know either you or Nick but I know who I'd rather have as a rl friend if I did.
I sincerely hope it isn't me. I don't really need any more rl friends. Stay cool.
You can never have too many real friends.
Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Amy Bahama »

Danny Derby wrote: 4 years ago Image
Exactly...I think...I've honestly been having a great laugh.
Iron City Louisiana

Home to many quality stallions to meet all your racing needs for a reasonable fee.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

I checked the new player list and there are not any new players named Nancy. :lol:
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Amy Bahama »

Emmie Kay wrote: 4 years ago
Amy Bahama wrote: 4 years ago It took me a long time to get to a point I could shop for Stewbreds or reap the rewards of a decent stallion and as soon as I hit that point, all these limits come into place. It's a game, underneath this community feel. I don't want other barns to succeed ahead of mine. I want to win and compete. I don't want everyone to have an equal opportunity. You should earn it like everyone else has. Additionally, I am very selective when I bid. I would just like the opportunity to get more instead of being limited so new nancy can get their first stew bred that they work to death and ruin before it hits the track.
But if nobody has equal opportunity then you wouldn't be where you are, Laura wouldn't be where she is (poor Laura being name dropped all over this thread)...opportunity, risks vs rewards, having an eye for things etc. are all part of this game. Those that are dedicated can see those "opportunities" and use them to progress and build up their barns. It's important this game is welcoming to new players and shows them that yes, with dedication comes opportunities and rewards. Likewise, if you are looking to not put the work in and have everything on a silver platter, well, I don't think those players stay very long. No "new nancy" players are the same, and shouldn't be lumped into one giant group. I believe it's important to have a game where it retains new and old players alike, to give the sim the best chance of being supported ($$) to stay online and active for years and years to come.
The keyword here being retain.....It is imperative to retain your original fan base, not penalize them for their progression. Sorry, I'm sure you are great, I just don't care about new players getting stewies. I want them all.
Iron City Louisiana

Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Amy Bahama wrote: 4 years ago The keyword here being retain.....It is imperative to retain your original fan base, not penalize them for their progression. Sorry, I'm sure you are great, I just don't care about new players getting stewies. I want them all.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Amy Bahama »

Lily Wilkins wrote: 4 years ago
Amy Bahama wrote: 4 years ago The keyword here being retain.....It is imperative to retain your original fan base, not penalize them for their progression. Sorry, I'm sure you are great, I just don't care about new players getting stewies. I want them all.
YES!
Iron City Louisiana

Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Wouldn't it be great if there were separate limits for within breed and crossbreed for stallions that are crossbreed eligible?
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Amy Bahama »

Tammy, you are such a jester. I see what you did there.
Iron City Louisiana

Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Since my name has come up so frequently in this thread, I thought I'd chime in. I think this foal crop was a bit of a one-off, since there were so many auctions, some a single horse, some a specific distance/surface type, so it leant itself to someone taking advantage of it by transferring horses to a partnership and letting them accumulate more. It also leant itself more to buyer's remorse - if you bought a horse in an earlier auction, you'd used up your slots. Most years, it's been two or three auctions, so it's harder to do that. If there's going to be more auctions than two-three in future years, then perhaps the ability to transfer a steward-bred under the age of three to a partnership could be limited (i.e., if you can't do it directly, you can't do it indirectly), but there's always going to be people trying to use the existing rules to their benefit.

I can live with the three horse limit - there's always going to be compromise and no one is ever going to be satisfied with any solution, because everyone wants a freak Steward-bred, and there is always going to be more demand than supply. That said, I can see where the limit is harder on stables that don't have the depth of mine (or the bankroll), so I sympathize.

The foal limits, as I've posted before, causes me much more aggravation, simply because it's so hard to stay on top of. You put an alert on stallion - if he doesn't have a stud fee, he doesn't show up in the alert horses at stud, there's no listing of foals, so you have to check to see if booked full really means no foals left or something else. It's just a ton of work, and because of fear of missing out, I actually am less diverse because I breed to the top stallions early so I'm not shut out, when in the past, I'd wait until Week 16, and pick what I thought was the best fit. To combat the frustration, I breed fewer mares, and I keep mares in training when I don't have a good option Week 16. I'm not convinced it really creates more diversity - especially when some of the stallions introduced to create diversity are essentially private studs (and probably wouldn't be private if there were no foal limits). I also think the solution to the turf sprint stallions had less to do with foal limits than it had to do with the fact that more stallions came along that hypoed as well as See You Monday, giving breeders more options (Lord Black, Strong and Free, etc). Without that, I suspect SYM would still be maxxing out in the first few weeks/days of the SIM year.

As always, just my two cents' worth.
Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Amy Bahama »

Thanks Laura! THis was mostly just a knee jerk reaction to me realizing I won two horses in the first action and then still had two active bids on the second one. The second one had the horses I wanted most. I had forgotten about the limits and was kicking myself. As the thread progressed, I was being about as sarcastic as I could get because at that point it just became funny. Lily zinged me good. Your two cents are always always appreciated and often the only voice of reason. :)
Iron City Louisiana