So many limits

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

So many limits

Post by Amy Bahama »

I am finding the limits on stew bred purchases and foal limits particularly brutal and this year. I've tried to swallow it down, but they really are zapping the fun out of things.
Iron City Louisiana

Home to many quality stallions to meet all your racing needs for a reasonable fee.
Lucas Davenport
Eclipse Champion

Re: So many limits

Post by Lucas Davenport »

I agree about it zapping the fun; I have previously expressed this opinion privately to the powers that be. I have even given away Stewies to a partnership to make things work. There certainly have been several 2 and 3yr Stewies offered on the sales page that have sat there unsold that I would have gladly purchased. I don't think there is an easy fix, because the rule was put in place for a reason, but maybe restricting the limit to Stewies up to and including just age 2 would make it a bit less bothersome to those of us who care.
The Hub Group of Farms: where saving your boarding and shipping dollars is always a priority, especially when you don't know where the next race will take your horse.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Giving away to partnerships is one way of getting around the limit. When its your own partnership is that really giving it away though?

I thought the reason partnerships were stopped from bidding in Steward bred auctions was to help others, specially newer players, get them. It defeats the object of that if players can move them to their partnerships so they can bid on more in the later auctions and still end up with 5 or 6 even if a few of them are in the partnership for a while. All they need to do is leave them in the partnership till they are old enough to avoid the limit and then take them back.
George Knatz
Miler

Post by George Knatz »

Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago Giving away to partnerships is one way of getting around the limit. When its your own partnership is that really giving it away though?

I thought the reason partnerships were stopped from bidding in Steward bred auctions was to help others, specially newer players, get them. It defeats the object of that if players can move them to their partnerships so they can bid on more in the later auctions and still end up with 5 or 6 even if a few of them are in the partnership for a while. All they need to do is leave them in the partnership till they are old enough to avoid the limit and then take them back.
They don’t end up in a partnership for awhile. Once they are in a partnership they can’t be removed unless that partnership is dissolved. So you can’t take them back later.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Do they go to a public auction when the partnership is dissolved?l
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago Do they go to a public auction when the partnership is dissolved?l
No, they don’t. Over the years I’ve adjusted to each and every change as the game progressed. For Laura, her complaint is stud limits. I get those, when I started we had limits on breeding. Once a stud had 300 foals, you knew pensioning was coming any day. You get used to it. I will not get used to partnerships. It’s just another way for people to get around the rules.

Furthermore, if those limits on stewardbred auctions were not in place there is more than 1 horse in my barn I never would have been able to afford. I’m sorry a few of you feel your game is being cramped, but I feel like it’s really helped distribute the Steward’s horses more evenly.

I suggest people become a bit more choosy when you are bidding so you get the ones you actually want and not just the ones you’ll pinhook.
Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Amy Bahama »

It took me a long time to get to a point I could shop for Stewbreds or reap the rewards of a decent stallion and as soon as I hit that point, all these limits come into place. It's a game, underneath this community feel. I don't want other barns to succeed ahead of mine. I want to win and compete. I don't want everyone to have an equal opportunity. You should earn it like everyone else has. Additionally, I am very selective when I bid. I would just like the opportunity to get more instead of being limited so new nancy can get their first stew bred that they work to death and ruin before it hits the track.
Iron City Louisiana

Home to many quality stallions to meet all your racing needs for a reasonable fee.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

It’s exactly this kind of attitude that convinced me to give this to a newbie. And Fern did very well by him! It is a game, open to the public. Did your mother never teach you to share your toys?

Mmmm, what can I give away this week?
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

You start the game with $100,000. Do you see a single horse in the TBS TR or DR auction with a bid at or below $100,000? Exactly, you don't... So New Nancy still isn't getting a horse and people still have to work for it. I have been a member of this game for 8 real life years and I am just now getting to the point where I could bid competitively and get my hands on something that isn't going to be a dud. What I still can't do, however, is bid against the Lauras out there who can throw down high 7's or even 8 figures for multiple horses in every auction. I am thankful that limits are in place to stop that.

3 Steward bred horses PER CROP is not that stifling of a limit, really. If you've been playing the game long enough, your own breeding and racing operation should be formidable enough that you don't need 10 Steward horses per crop to have fun and win.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | Leased Out Y66
Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Amy Bahama »

If you want to be altruistic, go for it! I don't choose to play like that and your random acts of kindness really have no affect on my game play or state of mind, other than to make me laugh. Sure I shared my toys, but my mother also taught me not to be a sucker. How does giving that horse away benefit your game play aside from making you feel good? If you were being slightly honest, you know you look at that page and think, damn I should have kept that one. Do you not buy game points or invest money in the game? I like to buy game points and invest in my barn, not others. Yes, the game is open to the public, let them play how they want and earn the ability to participate the way someone who has played for a long time has. Don't just hand it all out to them from the get go by limiting others in their game play. That's all I'm saying. That aside, being charitable in real life, is much more impressive that giving away virtual horses.
Last edited by Amy Bahama 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Iron City Louisiana

Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Amy Bahama »

By the way, I am going to start a partnership if any like minded folks would like to participate. PM me. I know you are out there.
Iron City Louisiana

Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Amy Bahama »

Lily Wilkins wrote: 4 years ago You start the game with $100,000. Do you see a single horse in the TBS TR or DR auction with a bid at or below $100,000? Exactly, you don't... So New Nancy still isn't getting a horse and people still have to work for it. I have been a member of this game for 8 real life years and I am just now getting to the point where I could bid competitively and get my hands on something that isn't going to be a dud. What I still can't do, however, is bid against the Lauras out there who can throw down high 7's or even 8 figures for multiple horses in every auction. I am thankful that limits are in place to stop that.

3 Steward bred horses PER CROP is not that stifling of a limit, really. If you've been playing the game long enough, your own breeding and racing operation should be formidable enough that you don't need 10 Steward horses per crop to have fun and win.
Sorry, but until you play with the devotion and dedication that Laura has for the last lord knows how many years, I don't feel sorry for you. I've been playing since 2006 and I can't compete at that level either and I don't feel bad about it. And yes, my homebreds do bring me a lot of joy, I just happen to like buying stew breds and now that I can, I am limited because people in your shoes get butt hurt. Maybe Nick will give you her next great horse, see everyone will make out, except me on the limits.
Iron City Louisiana

Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Amy Bahama wrote: 4 years ago Sorry, but until you play with the devotion and dedication that Laura has for the last lord knows how many years, I don't feel sorry for you. I've been playing since 2006 and I can't compete at that level either and I don't feel bad about it. And yes, my homebreds do bring me a lot of joy, I just happen to like buying stew breds and now that I can, I am limited because people in your shoes get butt hurt. Maybe Nick will give you her next great horse, see everyone will make out, except me on the limits.
I'm pretty sure the only butthurt one here is you, seeing as you're the one who made this thread in the first place LOL. I have a Stewardbred from this crop in my stable already (look her up, she's fancy) and I am in the position to buy another at the auction ending today, I think I'm doing just fine ;) thank you!
Cheers!
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | Leased Out Y66
Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

I have no problem with Laura or anyone else bidding 7 or 8m for the 3 they are allowed. Good luck to them. I'm less keen on the idea that anyone can buy the limit of 3 and get around that limit by giving them to their own partnership (which they can later get back when the partnership dissolves) just so they can buy more.

I don't know either you or Nick but I know who I'd rather have as a rl friend if I did.
Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Amy Bahama »

Lily Wilkins wrote: 4 years ago
Amy Bahama wrote: 4 years ago Sorry, but until you play with the devotion and dedication that Laura has for the last lord knows how many years, I don't feel sorry for you. I've been playing since 2006 and I can't compete at that level either and I don't feel bad about it. And yes, my homebreds do bring me a lot of joy, I just happen to like buying stew breds and now that I can, I am limited because people in your shoes get butt hurt. Maybe Nick will give you her next great horse, see everyone will make out, except me on the limits.
I'm pretty sure the only butthurt one here is you, seeing as you're the one who made this thread in the first place LOL. I have a Stewardbred from this crop in my stable already (look her up, she's fancy) and I am in the position to buy another at the auction ending today, I think I'm doing just fine ;) thank you!
Cheers!
See I like you. I actually LOLed. I am butthurt because I want more than the 3 I already have. There are two more I'd like to collect but I can't because I unexpectedly won two last night. :) Good luck, Lily!
Iron City Louisiana