Testing my patience

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tony Baker
Sprinter

Testing my patience

Post by Tony Baker »

I am a fairly patient person (truly lol)...this vet Hacklu is really testing it tho.

I have asked this dude 8 times for a vet piece after initially spending the GP for the first piece (of which I have no issue doing).

If the first piece provided by spending the GP is a vet piece am I wasting my time asking and paying him for the second piece? (So I will need to do workouts or just race with the other 3 options and ask the jockey afterwards) or will he eventually cough it up after his wife Anita stops screaming at him down the phone ?

The horse is in training and was running with the wrong gear and I prefer not to stop its racing and do the workouts to make sure the 2nd piece is correct.

After I got the 1st piece comment was "but I don't think I can help you with that"

Thanks, I'd normally ask in chat but that's been fairly empty of late.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Re: Testing my patience

Post by Laura Smith »

He'll eventually cough up the vet piece. It sometimes takes one try, it sometimes takes twenty tries or more.
The piece you pay GPs for is never the same as the one that will be revealed through vetting or gallops. If you don't want to continue paying for the vet, you could always keep racing the horse with a different combo each time. As there are only four vet pieces, if one is already confirmed, you can just race with one of the other 3 possible combinations. You have a 33% chance of getting it right the first time, and if not, it'll only take one more race to figure it out. :)
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Tony Baker
Sprinter

Post by Tony Baker »

Thanks Laura, it's due to race day 5 so I'll keep trying until then and try and hit the jackpot with the combo otherwize.

Hacklu's off the christmas card list btw
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

FWIW, this also happens with horses where the second piece is a gallop piece. Players have reported it taking as much as 40 gallops (and probably an exhausted horse!) before the piece is revealed.

I believe Em has said that both the vet and the gallop reveal equipment 20% of the time. So, on average, it should take five tries per horse. This appears correct to me, based upon my on experience with training hundreds of yearlings per crop. While some horses get that pesky equipment piece the first try at a vet or gallop, some take a few dozen tries.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I’d say if you have spare cash for it, then go ahead and keep vetting. It will eventually appear but if you aren’t in a super stable financial situation and the horse isn’t all that good then it’s not worth it.

I would also say that you should give the horse workouts to find the 2nd piece. Racing has so many variables you can’t control, the horse might run with the right equipment but he might have been unfit, or he had a bad break, there was a freak in the race etc. Now that I think about it I suppose you can ask about equipment after the race and Mary Weather will tell you whether you’re on track or not. I personally prefer to do workouts but it’s up to you I guess.

At least there’s less vet pieces so less to test out. Gallop pieces are the absolute worst, there’s too many and I find the times are often so much closer to each other 😭
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Piggy backing off of Carole. If you aren’t in the type of financial situation to continue asking over and over again but you really don’t want to take him out of training you could just try slapping equipment on and racing. It’s definitely not preferable but it seems that more often than not the vet piece is a tongue tie...
yeah
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

We had a thread a while back about this very thing. Someone said they took 35 tries before the vet coughed it up. We debated alternate routes (such as, how much would you be willing to spend, lol) other than dealing with an obstinate vet. Over all, it seems our present system is fairest for all, even as frustrating as it can get. Best of luck Tony, it will come...eventually.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 4 years ago Piggy backing off of Carole. If you aren’t in the type of financial situation to continue asking over and over again but you really don’t want to take him out of training you could just try slapping equipment on and racing. It’s definitely not preferable but it seems that more often than not the vet piece is a tongue tie...
Its completely random and is as likely to be any one of the 4. I've never noticed that more often than not its a Tongue Tie.
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

if u gallop every 4 days with the different combinations, of which one is already ruled out, it will take u 2 weeks or less to find out, no money spent. Of course there is always that annoying situation where your workout times are annoyingly very close or the same, then I just race and let the trainer (or whoever it is) tell me if its right or wrong. Also I now love the late bloomer etc comments b/c if I have a late bloomer I dont feel like I'm wasting time not getting the horse to the races right away.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago
Dylan Christensen wrote: 4 years ago Piggy backing off of Carole. If you aren’t in the type of financial situation to continue asking over and over again but you really don’t want to take him out of training you could just try slapping equipment on and racing. It’s definitely not preferable but it seems that more often than not the vet piece is a tongue tie...
Its completely random and is as likely to be any one of the 4. I've never noticed that more often than not its a Tongue Tie.
I usually get the bandages, front or hind? Lol
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Regina Moore wrote: 4 years agoI believe Em has said that both the vet and the gallop reveal equipment 20% of the time.
I was under the impression it was 5% for gallops, and a higher percentage for vet. It certainly feels that way at least!
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago
Weird I think I’ve only got other things a few times lol.
yeah
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Carole Hanson wrote: 4 years ago I’d say if you have spare cash for it, then go ahead and keep vetting. It will eventually appear but if you aren’t in a super stable financial situation and the horse isn’t all that good then it’s not worth it.

I would also say that you should give the horse workouts to find the 2nd piece. Racing has so many variables you can’t control, the horse might run with the right equipment but he might have been unfit, or he had a bad break, there was a freak in the race etc. Now that I think about it I suppose you can ask about equipment after the race and Mary Weather will tell you whether you’re on track or not. I personally prefer to do workouts but it’s up to you I guess.

At least there’s less vet pieces so less to test out. Gallop pieces are the absolute worst, there’s too many and I find the times are often so much closer to each other 😭
The new(ish) ask-the-jockey thing is a godsend. I'd almost always advise someone in this situation, especially a newer player, to get the second piece through racing/ask the jockey (where at least you might make some $) rather than workouts, where the horse is only costing you money and you STILL might not land on the correct combo.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 4 years ago We had a thread a while back about this very thing. Someone said they took 35 tries before the vet coughed it up. We debated alternate routes (such as, how much would you be willing to spend, lol) other than dealing with an obstinate vet. Over all, it seems our present system is fairest for all, even as frustrating as it can get. Best of luck Tony, it will come...eventually.
Love it, lets start a petition, raise Stakes purses and offer a $100,000 guaranteed vet piece training option! :)
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Eric Hamme
Classic Contender

Post by Eric Hamme »