Total Purses in the SIM

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Kenneth Prater
Listed Stakes Winner

Re: Total Purses in the SIM

Post by Kenneth Prater »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago Maybe they should just cap bank accounts at 25/30/40/50/whatever million. Do you really need more money than that?
There use to be another game called Trophyhorse a few of us use to play. You couldn't have more than 5 million in the bank. It was no fun.
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Finally, a thread with some pro-tax people :)

Here's my proposal, using the SIM's wealthiest owner, April Eddy, as an example.

- A one-cent tax levied at the end of the year on SIM cash between $1,000,000 and $10,000,000. April would pay $90,000 from this bracket.

- A three-cent tax levied at the end of the year on SIM cash between $10,000,000 and $25,000,000. April would pay $450,000 from this bracket.

- A six-cent tax levied at the end of the year on SIM cash above $25,000,000. April would pay $5,208,991 - rounded to the nearest dollar - from this bracket.

Under this proposal, if the SIM year ended today, April Eddy would pay $5,703,991 in taxes, leaving her with a paltry $106,112,528.

Taxes collected from April alone would cover more than half of the year 54 purse cuts.

If the one-cent bracket *alone* were levied *only* on the wealthiest 50 players in the game, the amount collected would cover almost half of the year 54 purse cuts. I think trading the purse cuts for these very modest taxes is a very good deal that we can all get behind.
Last edited by Tim Matthews 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Emmie Kay wrote: 4 years ago
Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago But again the problem also with taxing the rich and not the everyone else is basically telling someone with money that because you did so well and achieved so much in this game, we are going to penalize you.

If there was an annual tax per season of a certain percentage that everyone was taxed equally of that percentage, then I could live with that. A percentage would be fair as the rich would obviously be taxed a greater amount.

But don’t call it a wealth tax. If you are going to tax the rich, you better also be taxing the poor as well.
If a tax on barns with a mega bankroll comes to pass, you can always adapt to the changes.
I sure can
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

How about we increase the day rate from $5 a horse per day to $20 a horse per day.

Big money barns usually have lots of horses.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

How about we place a special daily tax for stewardbreds.
All stewardbreds are taxed at a higher daily rate.

This would only affect the rich players owning all the steward breds.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

How about we start paying the jockey a percentage of the winning purse. Those guys are really getting screwed. Doing all the work and not getting a dime.
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago How about we increase the day rate from $5 a horse per day to $20 a horse per day.

Big money barns usually have lots of horses.
The problem with flat fees like this and those that are already exist in the sim is that they hit poorer stables a lot harder, and those stables are typically more vulnerable to quitting if their operation isn't making money. A "tax" like mine is not about punishing anyone; rather, it's just the most efficient way to take money out of the game without discouraging early growth. Plus, a 25 million dollar stable will hardly notice a $500k hit per year, especially if the purses go back to where they were.
Got bombed, got frozen
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago How about we start paying the jockey a percentage of the winning purse. Those guys are really getting screwed. Doing all the work and not getting a dime.
I like this, but what about the losing jockeys? They don't eat? :P
Got bombed, got frozen
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago How about we place a special daily tax for stewardbreds.
All stewardbreds are taxed at a higher daily rate.

This would only affect the rich players owning all the steward breds.
Related: If stewies didn't come pre-insured, that's another what, $5-8 million on top of every sale?
Got bombed, got frozen
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Another way money enters the sim:

Steward buys a horse from a player
Steward leased a horse from a player

Where does this money come from?
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

I say leave everything as it is.

Those who are willing to adapt will adapt to anything, and those unwilling to adapt will complain about anything.

So, just leave things as they are and we should be fine.
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Kris Bobby
Classic Contender

Post by Kris Bobby »

I believe, fwiw, the best realistic economical problem lies in the farms. To my knowledge, all the farms are player-owned. This is far from true in RL racing. Once a horse is in training, more often than not, the horse is stabled at the track or a nearby training center. In RL these expenses can really add up. In the SIM, as we know, the majority of horses are shipped to a privately held farm where expenses move from one player to another. If The Steward could institute a rule that, for example, all horses in training (those eligible to enter a race) must be kept at a track or game-owned training facility, all those expenses would be wiped from the game. It may also help reduce the number of suspect mares and stallions being bred.

There are probably some holes in my plan, this is a rudimentary example, I'm sure those smarter than me can work out better details.
RELAX, it's Just a Game
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Glenn Escobar wrote: 4 years ago I say leave everything as it is.

Those who are willing to adapt will adapt to anything, and those unwilling to adapt will complain about anything.

So, just leave things as they are and we should be fine.
If we leave everything as it is nothing will improve and nobody will adapt to anything because there would be nothing to adapt to.

The Steward wants to take money out of the Sim economy. She wants a change and its her game.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

I say we tax all chasers because the races take too long.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Or increase chase purses as they run longer so get paid less per minute than those sprinters.

Rich people are taxed more than poor people everywhere in real life. That penalises everyone who is successful in real life. The Sim wants to be realistic.

And of course, I'd adapt :)