New and Fun Ways to Spend Sim$

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Re: New and Fun Ways to Spend Sim$

Post by Nena Olson »

I think any option that leads to people making MORE money takes from the goal of removing money. If Player A pays $50k to have their horse be able to race every 2 weeks instead of every 3 weeks, they will more than likely use that on their fastest horses and earn back money in one go. Maybe if it was like $2 mil to race more or something that can't be earned back on the track but I doubt somebody would pay $2 mil to race 2 or 3 times more that year.

Same with 'barn improvements' for boarding barns. If it causes people to flock to that farm, earning them more money.

I still think paying $10k to find out if your stallion should be gelded or not is worth thinking about. I'd pay $10k-$50k to see if it's worth even standing a horse at stud. Plus it would clean out the stud book so somebody doesn't take that space up with their $350k Dirt Router (Im sure I have one of these but I havent looked at my stud barn in a long time LOL)
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago
Dylan Christensen wrote: 4 years ago
Glenn Escobar wrote: 4 years ago

Just do the 1-2-4-8 and so on million dollar insurance policies.

Did we not all know that already?
It doesn’t give me the option to buy insurance in my 12 year old mare though? Am I missing something?
You need to have enough money in your account for the option to show up
Ah gotcha, poor people problems lol
yeah
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Ronnie Dee wrote: 4 years ago Stimulating Betting:
For major races (SC, Triple Crown, etc.), display a tote board with the current parimutel win odds for each entrant.
Better betting could definitely bring more money out of the SIM if done right!
yeah
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

If anyone is relying on boarders to fill your farm to supply valuable income for your stable you are really doing it all wrong.

It’s a shame that most ideas are shot down for the same reason every time. “I’m a poor player and it will not benefit me so no it’s not a good idea”

The “rich” players are not scheming of ways to make a greater divide. This is honestly starting to get silly.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

For major races (SC, Triple Crown, etc.), display a tote board with the current parimutel win odds for each entrant.

Better betting could lead to “rich” players being able to bet more causing a greater divide between rich vs poor.
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Nena Olson wrote: 4 years ago I think any option that leads to people making MORE money takes from the goal of removing money. If Player A pays $50k to have their horse be able to race every 2 weeks instead of every 3 weeks, they will more than likely use that on their fastest horses and earn back money in one go. Maybe if it was like $2 mil to race more or something that can't be earned back on the track but I doubt somebody would pay $2 mil to race 2 or 3 times more that year.

Same with 'barn improvements' for boarding barns. If it causes people to flock to that farm, earning them more money.

I still think paying $10k to find out if your stallion should be gelded or not is worth thinking about. I'd pay $10k-$50k to see if it's worth even standing a horse at stud. Plus it would clean out the stud book so somebody doesn't take that space up with their $350k Dirt Router (Im sure I have one of these but I havent looked at my stud barn in a long time LOL)
My only issue, and really it’s my only issue, with the Stud BSA Concept is that it would be really dependent on what quality of Mares the stud saw. I just don’t know as you can quantify Stud Potential as easily as you can with BSAing a Mare.

Mare breeding ability matters more because the sample size is so so small. Your best mares make 6-8 babies, tops. There are Stallions with 1000+ offspring, so the broader sample size sorta averages the whole operation out.
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Nena Olson wrote: 4 years ago I think any option that leads to people making MORE money takes from the goal of removing money. If Player A pays $50k to have their horse be able to race every 2 weeks instead of every 3 weeks, they will more than likely use that on their fastest horses and earn back money in one go. Maybe if it was like $2 mil to race more or something that can't be earned back on the track but I doubt somebody would pay $2 mil to race 2 or 3 times more that year.

My only issue, and really it’s my only issue, with the Stud BSA Concept is that it would be really dependent on what quality of Mares the stud saw. I just don’t know as you can quantify Stud Potential as easily as you can with BSAing a Mare.

Mare breeding ability matters more because the sample size is so so small. Your best mares make 6-8 babies, tops. There are Stallions with 1000+ offspring, so the broader sample size sorta averages the whole operation out.
There is obviously a set number for stallion potential which is the same as broodmare potential. I assume that anything that would be labeled as a 'Good Broodmare' or lower, would give you the warning as 'May not be the best option for standing at stud'. If you want to go ahead and give it a shot, same with broodmares that don't BS the best, go ahead. At least you would know that you would have to work at it to get that stallion good numbers. While those that may not have the broodmare band to stand it at stud, could know not to waste time/effort. Ya know?
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago
Danny Derby wrote: 4 years ago
Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago I have to say I don’t really like the sound of any of these. They seem more along the likes of “pay to win”.

The things we pay for now don’t give people a coded advantage, they just give players a better idea of how to enter or breed their horses. Eg. Soundness, Weather, BSA, Hypo, etc. But they aren’t essential. If you are able to pay for boosts in rest, ability, or twins...what would stop a rich player from doing that for every horse, yes, just what we need, people pumping twice the freaks from their fancy can’t do any wrong blue hens...or their fancy freaks running every 1-2 weeks, or their freaks getting boosted every time they run. That does not sound like a game I’d want to play

So yeah... this far it seems all the suggestions will give the rich people an even bigger advantage over other players...
Some things like this already are part of the game. Did you know that the super rich SIM players can guarantee to keep their fancy broodmares alive for longer than a player with no money? It's uber expensive and takes tens of millions of dollars out of the game every year, while not guaranteeing you're getting a foal with any ability. This is kind of how I'd see an increased twin % working, and I hardly think it would be game breaking.
I did know that, and getting 2-3 extra foals from a mare is different than her at 4 and potentially DOUBLING the 8+ foals she could have in her lifetime.
If you’re reading a “pay large amounts of money for a slightly improved chance at twins” as OMG THIS IS GOING TO DOUBLE THE NUMBER OF FOALS FROM ALL THE BEST MARES! then you just aren’t grasping what I’m proposing.

Not that I’m even saying my idea is a good or bad one, just that your comment really doesn’t apply to it at all.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago

Better betting could lead to “rich” players being able to bet more causing a greater divide between rich vs poor.
Bruh what
yeah
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Nena Olson wrote: 4 years ago

There is obviously a set number for stallion potential which is the same as broodmare potential. I assume that anything that would be labeled as a 'Good Broodmare' or lower, would give you the warning as 'May not be the best option for standing at stud'. If you want to go ahead and give it a shot, same with broodmares that don't BS the best, go ahead. At least you would know that you would have to work at it to get that stallion good numbers. While those that may not have the broodmare band to stand it at stud, could know not to waste time/effort. Ya know?
I don’t think there’s obviously a set number for Stallion Potential.

I could be wrong, but either way the sample size discussion comes into play. Because let’s say that the range that spits out “Formidable” in a Mare does the equivalent in a Stallion. Ok fine, but the Stallion can have 120 Foals x however many crops. His output will be way more variable and dependent on the Mares than vice versa.

So yeah there are different kinds of Formids, some better and some worst, but a roughly equivalent Stallion could produce tons of large crops and outkick his “rating” just on sheer volume alone.
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

It wouldn’t add more money to the game though. The amount of money available each year is finite and wouldn’t increase if a horse could race more often. That horse may just wins bigger portion of that available money but wouldn’t add any.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Nena Olson wrote: 4 years ago

I don’t think there’s obviously a set number for Stallion Potential.

I could be wrong, but either way the sample size discussion comes into play. Because let’s say that the range that spits out “Formidable” in a Mare does the equivalent in a Stallion. Ok fine, but the Stallion can have 120 Foals x however many crops. His output will be way more variable and dependent on the Mares than vice versa.

So yeah there are different kinds of Formids, some better and some worst, but a roughly equivalent Stallion could produce tons of large crops and outkick his “rating” just on sheer volume alone.
There is a set number for everything. That is how gallop comments are formulated. Based on the stallion, mare, and parents/grandparents of those, numbers. If a stud hits 350k, the number is boosted a tiny bit. I wasn't wanting as many comments as mares. Just a: Yes, This horse is worth standing at stud; This sire could have potential if bred correctly; and a No, This horse would make a fine OTTB!
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago

Bruh what
Better betting could bring more money out of the sim if done right, but since "rich" people have more money they can bet more money than "poor" people and when the "rich" people win it will cause a bigger divide between the "rich" vs "poor" gap.
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

Not seeing the connect, if rich can bet more money they can also lose more money, so there is nothing about betting that in any way causes a larger income gap.. In fact if the poorer gambler is better at it, the reverse would happen. Those who dont have money are not there because of game betting, nor are the rich as far as I know..
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Art if you have not caught on yet, the common response to any idea submitted is that it will cause a larger Gap between the rich and the poor.