New Player Introduction

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Bertie Bassett
Miler

New Player Introduction

Post by Bertie Bassett »

Hello Everyone,
As a new player one of the tips on the office page is to introduce yourself to the forum. So here goes.

My name is Bertie Bassett and I signed up last night. I have recently retired, so I would imagine I am one of the older players in the game. I was looking for a game that I could spend a few hours on without having to kill Aliens or save the planet from Zombies. I was looking at sports management / simulation games when I came across Sim Horse Racing. The game and it's community appealed to me and I signed up.
The truth is I have very little knowledge of Horse Racing but I intend to give the game my best shot. I intend to read as much of the forum posts as possible over the next week or so. I have decided to concentrate on Thoroughbred racing. If anybody has any tips or advice for a real novice they will be greatly appreciated, and if you happen to come across me in game please bear with me as I think it will take a little while for me to find my feet.
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Re: New Player Introduction

Post by Tim Matthews »

Welcome, Bertie! I think you'll find the game to be a great joy, and the community to be friendly and helpful. I've been here for over a decade and I've never known a thing about real life racing. In fact I'm deathly allergic to horses.

Please send me a personal message if you need anything. Best of luck!
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Welcome! And never confuse 'old' with 'life experienced!' ;)
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Welcome! Definitely read through the Help section on the main website as well as the Help and FAQ section on the forum. :)
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Laura Smith wrote: 4 years ago Welcome! Definitely read through the Help section on the main website as well as the Help and FAQ section on the forum. :)
To add to this I've always thought Regina Moore's New Player articles were the best place to start learning. I highly suggest you read as many as you can!
yeah
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 4 years ago
Laura Smith wrote: 4 years ago Welcome! Definitely read through the Help section on the main website as well as the Help and FAQ section on the forum. :)
To add to this I've always thought Regina Moore's New Player articles were the best place to start learning. I highly suggest you read as many as you can!
Welcome Bertie!
https://www.simhorseracing.com//feature ... pleID=5100
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dom Behan
Turf Router

Post by Dom Behan »

It can be a great game, just take it step by step and you will soon get a feel for it.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Welcome Bertie from a fellow senior. You’ll be surprised how many of us are here. You’ve been given some useful information, particularly reading everything you can. Best of luck and more importantly, enjoy!
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Greetings, Bertie, from another "oldie". As Nick says, there are a number of us here retired or close to it!

As said above, read everything you can. Don't worry about purchasing mares; breeding will come later. Best to have good, dependable geldings that can earn you some money. Race as much as possible at Trial Park. It is a track for newbies only. I believe you can race TB dirt horses and turf horses there. Sign up for a mentor if you want. The number one thing to have is Patience! It may feel overwhelming at first, but it will sort itself out.
Ask questions. Feel free to PM me or anyone if you have any questions. I love this game, and hope you will too!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Alyssa Lapa
Derby Contender

Post by Alyssa Lapa »

Welcome! I just celebrated my 1st year anniversary with the SIM and I still feel like a newbie. Read all you can and if need be take notes of what people are saying in the forums, chat room, etc. Just remember this game is more like a marathon than a sprint. :) it's not supposed to be quick to beat. And of utmost importance, have fun!
Thoroughbred Stallions at Arborwood Oaks
COMING SOON

Arabian Stallions at Arborwood Oaks
COMING SOON

Pacer Stallions at Arborwood Oaks
COMING SOON
John Smith II
Two Year Old

Post by John Smith II »

Welcome to the Sim!
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Being a fan of Liquorice allsorts, hello Bertie.

Very new myself about 5 weeks in,

The feeling of drowning as slowly eased, as the players on here have given me armbands to float.

Enjoy yourself and laugh at your mistakes that will surly happen

Regards Frank.
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Flizan Hambletonian
Turf Router

Post by Flizan Hambletonian »

Welcome! :)
Country House Turf Router, AW Router, Steeplechaser
Smoke and Gusto Paint Dirt Router
Flizans Bourbon Steeplechaser
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

Welcome to the SIM. I joined in 2007 already an older player and I'm still here. I joined when only Thoroughbreds were available and there were no AW types so I've kept pretty much to just dirt and turf thoroughbreds. I did found my way from mostly dirt sprinters to, now, mostly dirt routers and I have had no lack of fun doing it that way.

There are highs and lows in this game. Stick around for the highs, they are a lot of fun when they happen.
*Sugar Bottom Stable
Bertie Bassett
Miler

Post by Bertie Bassett »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.