Thoughts on Steward Breds

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Re: Thoughts on Steward Breds

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago
Laura Ferguson wrote: 4 years ago
Lee Tuttle wrote: 4 years ago
Oh and I have another idea to irritate the status quo. It may not be original?
3% breeding fee. Everytime you breed, 3% of your stable balance goes out of the game. That's aside from the stud fee that you pay. So for those that mass breed and want to corner the market on certain studs and only share them with their pals for free...Merry Christmas or Happy Birthday or whatever :)
The math of this proposal is a game killer. If you pay no stud fees, because you are using your own stallion, after _10_ foals, you have lost 27% of your bankroll through this proposed breeding fee. After 23 foals, you have lost 51% of your bankroll to the breeding fee, and at 45 foals, you have lost 75% of your bankroll to the breeding fee. If you're also paying stud fees, your bankroll is in even worse shape. These are hardly mass breeder numbers. It is not unusual for a player to breed 10-45 foals, or more, after Week 16 results, when the only money coming in is from stud fees/sales that might otherwise build the stable balance back up (and who would buy/lease your discards, when they're facing the same draconian breeding fee?).

I think people need to keep in mind that the goal is to suck money out of the game, not players.
Anyone breeding 60 foals, which isn't excessive, would lose 83% of their original starting balance. In numerical terms starting with 1 million they would be left with around 170k even if they paid no stud fees.

If there was 1 billion in the Sim economy before breeding and every player bred 60 foals only 170m would remain. That reduction is far in excess of what was aimed for.
I agree with Laura and Dave here. I think capitalizing on breeding and finding a way to make that drain some cash is a good idea, but we have to be careful taking percentages of people's total bankrolls.
Even just a $2,500 "vet fee" associated with each breeding would be a decent solution; according to Spencer, 19,181 foals have already been born this season - that would add up to $47,952,500 in SIM cash exiting the game JUST from breeding alone, and it does not single out specific player demographics, it's going to be somewhat fairly spread with the exception of the mega-stables who breed hundreds and hundreds of foals per year, but I bet if you were to run some statistics, you would find that they're an exception and not the norm. And, vet fees associated with breeding would make it more realistic. Bringing foals into the world is expensive!
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Lee Tuttle
Miler

Post by Lee Tuttle »

With all of the negative comments regarding a breeding tax, it's clearly a winner.
And the numbers thrown out by some of you show how impactful it could be. Thanks for that.
I just threw 3% out randomly. Our lovely Stew could use any number that tickles her fancy like 1% or .1% or 10%, etc...
Whatever entertains her most. :lol:
Joe Bengston
Turf Router

Post by Joe Bengston »

Tom Lin wrote: 4 years ago
And that is because RL horse players like high take out rates? :?
[/quote]

no they do not Tom but you can still win with the higher take out rates just not as much. and it was a joke Tom just making fun of real life race tracks and how high their take outs are. because we could probably have a much lower take out rate here than real life but it would work, as long as people bet. (probably not that many would though live odds and wps wagering might entice a few more than those who do any betting now.

if you make a wager and hit but the take out is high you still win more than you bet lol just not as much if it was a lower take out. this would take way more work to code though. so this would be scratched immediately anyway.
I'm Joe bengston in the Sim, so just call me Joe.
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago
I have had thoughts for many years how the game would be without stewardbreds where players compete against each other's horses and not the magical steward bred horse, <edited> please try to stay positive with your responses.
Some times the most simple statement first mentioned is the best solution, jX
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Jon Xett wrote: 4 years ago
Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago
I have had thoughts for many years how the game would be without stewardbreds where players compete against each other's horses and not the magical steward bred horse, <edited> please try to stay positive with your responses.
Some times the most simple statement first mentioned is the best solution, jX
But there needs to be a way to remove mass amounts of money from the game:
The Steward wrote: 4 years ago I haven't read this whole thread (it is long), but I just wanted to say that right now the biggest problem/road block to Steward-breds is real life. I'm really drowning trying to keep up with real life let alone the SIM.... and Steward-breds would be the easiest thing to make go away. Right now it's not at all a "fun way for me to play." It is solely a way to remove huge chunks of money from the game.... hence why I keep asking for good suggestions of how else to do that.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Dawn Palka
Miler

Post by Dawn Palka »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago
Jon Xett wrote: 4 years ago [

But there needs to be a way to remove mass amounts of money from the game:

I honestly don't understand how a game with fake money needs to have that fake money removed. :?: :?: But then again, I do data entry for a living because there is no math involved.
Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Amy Bahama »

I’ve only skimmed this post because I feel like a lot of ideas are just constantly regurgitated from long ago threads.

A SIM without steward breds is inconceivable to me. They’ve always been the ultimate goal and status symbol in the game. I don’t like the limits in place but I’ve learned to abide by them and have done quite quite well despite them.

This call for balance and fairness to me is silly. It is a game, a competition, a gamble if you will. Play it as it lays, get better and move up. This idea that players who have succeeded should be penalized by taking away things is tiresome.
Iron City Louisiana

Home to many quality stallions to meet all your racing needs for a reasonable fee.
Tom Lin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tom Lin »

Amy Bahama wrote: 4 years ago This call for balance and fairness to me is silly. It is a game, a competition, a gamble if you will. Play it as it lays, get better and move up. This idea that players who have succeeded should be penalized by taking away things is tiresome.
I agree. It is very tiresome.
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Tom Lin wrote: 4 years ago
Amy Bahama wrote: 4 years ago This call for balance and fairness to me is silly. It is a game, a competition, a gamble if you will. Play it as it lays, get better and move up. This idea that players who have succeeded should be penalized by taking away things is tiresome.
I agree. It is very tiresome.
Wholeheartedly agree.

Nowhere in life nor in any worthwhile pursuit can you find an example where disincentives for success turned out to be a long-term winning strategy.
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

I agree, but also created this post for potential ideas as I have a strong feeling we will never go back no limit days and the current format doesn’t seem to be working well.

If it was, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago I agree, but also created this post for potential ideas as I have a strong feeling we will never go back no limit days and the current format doesn’t seem to be working well.

If it was, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
I think with partnerships not being able to own stewardbreds it will fix the biggest grievance with the limits, which I believe is people finding ways around them and owning a “piece” of 12-18 in each age bracket
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago I agree, but also created this post for potential ideas as I have a strong feeling we will never go back no limit days
Not sure that's a fact!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Amy Bahama »

The Steward wrote: 4 years ago
Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago I agree, but also created this post for potential ideas as I have a strong feeling we will never go back no limit days
Not sure that's a fact!
The plot thickens!
Iron City Louisiana

Home to many quality stallions to meet all your racing needs for a reasonable fee.