Thoughts on Cats

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Re: Thoughts on Cats

Post by Jo Ferris »

Believe me, my sister in law volunteers heavily with a cat rescue, I've heard it all. I still stand by my previous post. Declawing has its benefits. Everyone has their opinions, i was just stating my experience with declawing cats to someone who said something about their partner being worried about a cat ruining stuff with their claws.
Last edited by Jo Ferris 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Well this fun happy post took a dark turn... 😳
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Well, I've been a dog person since the Dark Ages, but I did have a tortoiseshell cat named "Dutchess" (Dutch, for short). She lived to be about 21. She was not declawed, as she liked going in and out, but I just trimmed her nails like one of the Beagles, taking the sharp points off. She could still climb trees, etc., but did not shred up the furniture either. It worked for us for many, many years.
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Jo Ferris wrote: 4 years ago Believe me, my sister in law volunteers heavily with a cat rescue, I've heard it all. I still stand by my previous post. Declawing has its benefits. Everyone has their opinions, i was just stating my experience with declawing cats to someone who said something about their partner being worried about a cat ruining stuff with their claws.
Assuming someone values their couch over their pets well being, then yes it has benefits for the human. It has absolutely zero benefits for the cat.
Brian Leavitt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brian Leavitt »

this stuff actually works fyi
I have a stable full of cats
Dawn Palka
Miler

Post by Dawn Palka »

Tim Matthews wrote: 4 years ago Read a lot of really terrible reviews, but I liked the musical as a kid
Rim Shot! :mrgreen:

As far as scratching, you can trim the claws or use those soft claw covers. Also--scratching posts, preferably where you hang out. I have two in my living room; one is right next to the couch. I've never had much of an issue with scratching the furniture. I've caught one of my current cats doing it occasionally, but I'll distract him and he'll stop.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago Well this fun happy post took a dark turn... 😳
And Laura never mentioned declawing and actually if her sim profile is accurate lives in one of the many parts of the world where it is illegal so it is all a moot point.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Anthony L Carder
Miler

Post by Anthony L Carder »

We are a 4 cat family and wouldn't have it any other way! We have one declawed and 3 that are not. We have always kept plenty of scratch pads and toys around, to discourage them from tearing anything up, and it has worked for the last 9 years. I also need to suggest this CAT DANCER for anyone else who has cats https://www.catdancer.com/product/test-toy/

They will absolutely love it!
000 ALC Ranch~conveniently located next to Cimarron Park~

Haven's Cab-Appy Sprinter-$5,000
Alc Shark On Fire-TB DS-$12,500
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

This is my cats favorite toy. It has ruined all other toys for her: https://smile.amazon.com/Go-Cat-Catcher ... redirect=1
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

Jo Ferris wrote: 4 years ago All of the cats my family had growing up (total of 8) were all declawed on all four paws. None of them ever had an issue associated with being declawed, no pain beyond a day or two after surgery, no behavioral issues, ect... if I ever do get a cat, they will be declawed as I'm with your partner, I don't want them scratching anything or ruining floors either by clawing floors or just running they'll leave scratch marks on flooring which was a huge reason why my family declawed all our cats, they'd mess up the hardwood.
If your 4 have never had issues, you are indeed lucky. I have volunteered at a cat shelter for almost 20 years and have seen I don't even know how many declawed cats come to us due to behavioral issues. One stat I read (from a declawing opponent, so take it for what its worth) said that 70% of declawed cats will exhibit behavioral issues related to declawing- from inappropriate litter box issues (their little toes become more sensitive and it hurts to walk on/cover up their eliminations in the litter box, so they find somewhere softer to go) to biting due to the loss of their first defense. They do have ongoing pain issues, but cats are stoic and hide pain; it's what many animals do so as not to show weaknesses that would make them targets for predators or aggression from pack/colony/herd members. And don't forget the small number (fortunately) who have to be re- declawed because the first amputation wasn't done completely. We have had more than a few cats come to us in pain, and once our vet does and exam it's determined that the nail bed wasn't removed or thoroughly removed and there are years of nail growing under the skin of the poor cat.

I inherited a declawed cat when my cousin passed away about 4 years ago. I can tell you Kit Kat is the poster child for may of the negative side effects. He pees on towels instead of the litter box (so he has a dedicated towel box). He will bite you in a heart beat if you mess with him. As he walks around the house, you can actually hear his toes and feet grinding and popping, it is an awful sound. But he has been lucky, I've accommodated his preferences and learned to read his frustration level to find out where his threshold for 9 YO little girls is. My vet, who is awesome and amazing and rescues cats, is terrified of him because he will bite the fool out of you with his two remaining incisors.

There are so many humane alternatives to declawing, I sincerely hope you reconsider your position.
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Tammy Stawicki wrote: 4 years ago
Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago Well this fun happy post took a dark turn... 😳
And Laura never mentioned declawing and actually if her sim profile is accurate lives in one of the many parts of the world where it is illegal so it is all a moot point.
Indeed. (I've moved since but I think they're moving towards outlawing it here as well.)
Brian Leavitt wrote: 4 years ago Image

this stuff actually works fyi
ok, this interests me.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Flizan Hambletonian
Turf Router

Post by Flizan Hambletonian »

Ok. As a vet, I really don't like declawing. In fact, it's illegal in Sweden. And so is amputation of tails and ears unless it's for medical reasons.

I consider myself a "horsey"-person. Or I thought of myself more like a dog-person more than a cat-person. I didn't want a cat when i was living in an apartment, cause I want the cat to be able to be outdoor. And frankly, I didn't like the cleaning up cat-hair part. But when I met Niklas (Polk), he immediately started to talk me in to get a cat. And I promised him that one day, we would get a cat.

And finally, it hit me. I really don't know what happened ;) I was working at the practice, and was in the small-animal department (I usually work with horses). A young man brought 2 young cats- approximately 1 y old males. His mother, who was a birmacat-breeder had just past away. In fact, she had been dead for a while, when they found her at home with all the cats. She had been sick the last year before her passing, and hadn't been able to take care of the cats properly. So his son had to take care of the "mess". He brought a lot of cats to the practice at this time. Young cats, that the breeder hadn't registered, and a lot of others. Theese two boys were very shy, their fur was a dirty mess and they were skinny. They came in for castration and were going to a shelter. Suddenly I realized that I didn't have any reasons not to bring theese cats home. We now lived in a house, at the countryside. So I did! I just feel bad for all the other cats... Some cats were exported as breeding-cats to Italy, some were of to shelters.

Since it was originally Niklas idea (to get cats), I had promised him he could name them. He decided to name the cats "Glenn" and "Allan" (some may recognize the character "Glenn McAllan" from Gothenburg Horsepark... ;) ) just because many nice scotch-whisky as Glenn or Allan in their names...

In the beginning, the cats were very shy and scared. Allan managed to run away and jump through an open window (a very small opening, I don't know how he managed!) He was missing 2-3 days before we could borrow a cat-trap. I was afraid that he was gone forever... But he had just been hiding under our porch, and he was hungry enough that he was cought in the trap after about an hour... After about 2 weeks, they both adapted and became really attached to us. In fact, Allan is the one who wants to be really close to us, and often sleeps in our bed. Preferably on Niklas chest.

Unfortunately, Glenn started to bully the neighbour's cat. He pooped on their lawn and chased their cat whenever he got a chance. Even inside their house. To save our peace with our neighbour, we had to find a new home for Glenn. So now, it's only Allan left!

2 very shy boys at hte practice... I just had to take them home!

4 weeks later- an oversocial cat (Allan)

Allan follow us everywhere..

Glenn!

Glenn!
Country House Turf Router, AW Router, Steeplechaser
Smoke and Gusto Paint Dirt Router
Flizans Bourbon Steeplechaser
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

I miss Glenn!
Polk Buffalo Stallions
Yoboki Arabian Router 40k
Blue Daub Adee Appy Mid 20k

and many more...
Flizan Hambletonian
Turf Router

Post by Flizan Hambletonian »

Polk Buffalo wrote: 4 years ago I miss Glenn!
Me too....

Country House Turf Router, AW Router, Steeplechaser
Smoke and Gusto Paint Dirt Router
Flizans Bourbon Steeplechaser