Dang.

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Dang.

Post by Stormy Peak »

I over looked what might be a nice horse in my barn.

MAL

He's a half brother to my filly Roughian. His first race was un-impressive and his works weren't flashy either, and I had him down as an allowance type in his notes - which is what he galloped as a yearling.
But when I looked at his dam tonight, I see he's now listed as a stakes quality.
Mal won his 2nd race with a 96 speed figure, and by 3 1/2 lengths against a full field.

I'm happy he's now a stakes, but ugh... I didn't nominate him for the SC Races! :|
He's also a late bloomer, so hopefully he'll improve from here on out. : )
And.. I am glad I named him Mal. If he does indeed turn out to be a real stakes type horse, I'll have a really wicked pair in my barn with 1/2 siblings Roughian and Mal. :twisted:

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Dawn Palka
Miler

Re: Dang.

Post by Dawn Palka »

Look on the bright side: you did not enter him in a claiming race!
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

:o What a lovely surprise!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

Nice colt Stormy! Missing the SC as a 2 YO, it's ok he has a few years to overcome that. Me, on the other hand, gelded my Nightmarch x Black Tassels allowance colt and he's come back with three straight wins by open lengths and a 91 speed fig as the high. Oh, well. A colt that doesn't start consistently winning until late in his 3 YO year doesn't scream stallion to me.
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Leigh Ann Anderson wrote: 4 years ago Nice colt Stormy! Missing the SC as a 2 YO, it's ok he has a few years to overcome that. Me, on the other hand, gelded my Nightmarch x Black Tassels allowance colt and he's come back with three straight wins by open lengths and a 91 speed fig as the high. Oh, well. A colt that doesn't start consistently winning until late in his 3 YO year doesn't scream stallion to me.
But I wonder how much of this is because we are conditioned to believe that only 2yos that bust 90+ debuts are worth breeding to one day. We'll never know on this one, unfortunately, but there's also something to be said for a gelding you can race through age 11... sometimes it's more fun, or at least that's what RRH tells me haha.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

I had one of those dangs last night. Gotta persevere with the nicely bred ones. Not sure if she improved (was a solid to begin with, then a stakes), or just caught a field to her liking.

https://www.simhorseracing.com//horse.p ... ID=1100836
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Nice one Stormy. I really like when stuff like that happens but I rarely pay attention when I should.
Danny, I entered my dang 2 year old filly against your dang 2 year old filly in that Grade 1. Mine does not have the amazing mare in her and her sire is a typical meh Xett sire who had no business running like he did and should not be a sire according to convention. I am not one to stand on convention either. This result will be fun. jX
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Jon Xett wrote: 4 years ago Danny, I entered my dang 2 year old filly against your dang 2 year old filly in that Grade 1. Mine does not have the amazing mare in her and her sire is a typical meh Xett sire who had no business running like he did and should not be a sire according to convention. I am not one to stand on convention either. This result will be fun. jX
It's going to be a bonafide dang-off.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Danny, and Jon, I hope you dang fillies finish the race in a dead heat. : )

I was kind of sad at missing a chance at the SC race, but then got thinking, that with just a maiden win, my dang colt probably wouldn't have enough points to keep from getting bumped anyways.

I just hope that 96 speed figure isn't a dang fluke. I would love to see him take after his sister, Roughian...or even be better than her. I also took another look at his history and see he did gallop stakes this year and I just flat out missed the comment that showed he upgraded.... which makes me think something more than 'dang' I'm not happy with myself to say the least.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Well, my dang colt, Mal, did quite well...as I tossed him into a Grade 1 race. He finished 3rd : )
I'm going to hope it was just because he bounced that he didn't win. ;) I'm very happy with the 3rd, He got some points and a nice paycheck...more than I thought he would earn after his first race results.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=1422494

Out of curiosity, I looked into Jon and Danny's race for their dang fillies.... a Grade 1 -- Danny probably said something more than dang when he saw where is filly finished. But...given his 1,2 punch finish in the SC Distaff, he can't be too unhappy about Friday's results. Congrats on Famitsu and Cruella De Vil, Danny.

Jon Xett's dang filly, So Right fared much better. She won by a neck and with a 93 speed figure. Congrats Jon!

https://www.simhorseracing.com//horse.p ... ID=1100836

Earlier In this thread, Jon mentioned her sire..without naming him..lol...I'll quote it here:

"....Danny, I entered my dang 2 year old filly against your dang 2 year old filly in that Grade 1. Mine does not have the amazing mare in her and her sire is a typical meh Xett sire who had no business running like he did and should not be a sire according to convention. I am not one to stand on convention either. This result will be fun. jX"

I looked up her sire, Saturday Silence What a nice little gem there! I just dabble in dirt routers, but I found a mare to send to this guy even before his filly ran and won that dang Grade 1 race.

Saturday Silence won over $1,800,000 on the track, and I think given his stud fee, I thought it would be fun to send a decent mare to him and hope I get a Grade 1 winning foal - admittedly, the chances are low under 5%. But even if I don't, get a stakes, Saturday Silence has a nice percentage for allowance runners too...25 % and his productive types are around 21%

I liked Jon's view about his stallion, that the results could be fun, and given the stud fee, I'm willing to try for my own dang unconventional runner.
I named her Stillness
Her dam was 24 years old. So I also brought in some ancient (in Sim years) bloodlines...just for the fun of it. The bottom part of her pedigree has Redwood/California and Oak Park in it. Temple, the dam of Redwood...she produce 3 foals that won over a million dollars : )

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000