Bye Bye Steward Bred's

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jack Meyer
Eclipse Champion

Re: Bye Bye Steward Bred's

Post by Jack Meyer »

I totally agree with Nana here, using GPs for everything isn't something that is needed...the idea is to drain SIM cash out of the game not drain the players dry so they all leave
My Sires:
DR -Mr.White Socks - 50,000
Appy Sprinter- Wings Of Inferno - 15,000
Appy Sprinter - Chain Of Thorns - 7,500
Appy Miler - Chasing Dragons - 15,000
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

However, GPs do help to support the Sim and keep it running so they are very important. They also pay Em and Admin's Sim salaries. I would hate to see the mare hypoing go away without something else to replace the GPs that they contribute. (Speaking as someone who spends 100's of real life dollars on hypoing even though I still end up with mostly claimers, solids and productives.)

It wasn't all that long ago when we didn't have hypo-mating and we all still seemed to go towards the same top studs at that time, iirc. Whichever stud seemed to be producing the most winners. I used to also check the horses that certain top breeders used.

I don't really have a horse in this race because I'll go along with whatever Emily and Admin decides. My days of crying over changes are gone and I'm much more accepting after all these years and knowing that everything is done for the good of the game. Okay, I am weeping a bit over the no more Stewardbreds but I'll get over it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Xander Zone
Hall of Fame

Post by Xander Zone »

so I am getting sleepy reading this forum thread if I swear or call someone a name can it get locked ??

It’s steward cup time you fr@:king m@&ons get excited for that !
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Xander Zone wrote: 4 years ago so I am getting sleepy reading this forum thread if I swear or call someone a name can it get locked ??

It’s steward cup time you fr@:king m@&ons get excited for that !

For a moment there, I thought I was back in Boot Camp? :o
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Lori Hamill wrote: 4 years ago However, GPs do help to support the Sim and keep it running so they are very important. They also pay Em and Admin's Sim salaries. I would hate to see the mare hypoing go away without something else to replace the GPs that they contribute. (Speaking as someone who spends 100's of real life dollars on hypoing even though I still end up with mostly claimers, solids and productives.)

It wasn't all that long ago when we didn't have hypo-mating and we all still seemed to go towards the same top studs at that time, iirc. Whichever stud seemed to be producing the most winners. I used to also check the horses that certain top breeders used.

I don't really have a horse in this race because I'll go along with whatever Emily and Admin decides. My days of crying over changes are gone and I'm much more accepting after all these years and knowing that everything is done for the good of the game. Okay, I am weeping a bit over the no more Stewardbreds but I'll get over it.
There is a great big difference between having GP for a few things (aka hypoing like it currently is) vs having EVERYTHING be game points. Obviously, some stuff should definitely be game points (headshots, silks, equipment check, hypos) but having EVERYTHING convert from SIM money to game points, as being suggested, is over the top and a game killer.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Joe Bengston
Turf Router

Post by Joe Bengston »

I just want to say I wasn't advocating for everything to be Gp's but maybe more things that aren't currently. or simply raise the price of silks equipment etc.

I'm with Lori? it was lori right? sorry but I don't care what happens as the Steward and admin always try to put the games best interests first.

get excited for the Stewards cup? I never have anything in it so not that exciting haha.
I'm Joe bengston in the Sim, so just call me Joe.
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Nena Olson wrote: 4 years ago
There is a great big difference between having GP for a few things (aka hypoing like it currently is) vs having EVERYTHING be game points. Obviously, some stuff should definitely be game points (headshots, silks, equipment check, hypos) but having EVERYTHING convert from SIM money to game points, as being suggested, is over the top and a game killer.
Totally agreed.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Avery Genna
Turf Router

Post by Avery Genna »

Laura Smith wrote: 4 years ago
Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago We can get rid of hypos? Keep mare comments so we can determine if the mare is worth breeding to.
It would force us players to experiment find the successful crosses.

Hypomates are the one thing killing many of the lower end studs. Once we see the hypos and the word gets out, those studs tend to simply disappear and the better hypoing studs are abused.
I pitched a modified hypo system a few years ago. I STILL think this is more what we need:
Laura Smith wrote: 6 years ago I have a spectacular and probably spectacularly unpopular idea.

Let's ditch hypo letter grades and specific gallop comments in favour of more general statements.

Condense the letter grades and just give a general idea. Instead of the A to high B+ hypo range, how about "This mating has the potential to produce a top quality horse." Low B+ to B, "this mating should produce at least a useful performer." and then one for "This mating is unlikely to produce a quality runner."

For the gallops, shift it away from quality slightly and towards the horse's potential to improve as it matures, as has been suggested plenty of times. Maybe one of three quality levels and a suggestion of whether the horse will peak early or late.

The game has shifted too far towards quantifying everything. A high hypo trumps everything else and convinces people to breed tons of mares to stallions they wouldn't have otherwise mass bred to. It's no coincidence that the affected horses here are all some of the best hypoers in their divisions. Do you think See You Monday would have seen 200+ mares in a week if he hypoed average? No way. But word gets around and suddenly the hypo grade is the only thing that matters. He would have been worth his $43k just based on race record alone, he would have still seen plenty of nice mares, and in a few years, after the foals hit the track, his fee would ideally go up to reflect their quality- or, more than likely, the next big thing would come along, which it always does, and the problem would regulate itself.
Stats hardly even matter. Reckoner's stats aren't great because he's seen hundreds of mares that wouldn't have gone to him had he been ten times the price. Same thing will happen to Composer in a few years. But that won't deter people from sending everything but the kitchen sink to him as long as he hypos high.
Gallops, the same. There might be no discernible difference in talent between a low end freak and a high end stakes galloping yearling, but most people would pay a hell of a lot more for the freak just based on that one single sentence the trainer utters W1D1.

Not 100% on topic here but I think it's very relevant and a discussion that needs to be had. We're all way too hung up on letter grades and gallop comments. Let's take it back a notch.
I really like this idea.