New(ish) Players Steward Auctions

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

New(ish) Players Steward Auctions

Post by Danny Derby »

Just a suggestion. For the upcoming newish player only steward auctions, may be a good idea to have those horses locked to the players account for a couple of years. It would keep veteran involvement out of the sale, while encouraging the good behavior of keeping your best horses instead of selling them.
Last edited by Danny Derby 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Re: New(ish) Players Steward Auctions

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Danny Derby wrote: 4 years ago Just a suggestion. For the upcoming newish player only steward auctions, may be a good idea to have those horses locked the players account for a couple of years. It would keep veteran involvement out of the sale, while encouraging the good behavior of keeping your best horses instead of selling them.
I agree with this!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Yea it’s a good idea if it’s possible!
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Well all i can add....if I'M lucky enough to have a chance to afford a stab......the horse will be going nowhere
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Bertie Bassett
Miler

Post by Bertie Bassett »

I disagree with this. I don't believe new-ish players would try to sell their horse on. But if they did shouldn't that be a choice for them to make. After all there are plenty of players who try to sell not so good horses at a high-ish price to unsuspecting new players.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Bertie Bassett wrote: 4 years ago I disagree with this. I don't believe new-ish players would try to sell their horse on. But if they did shouldn't that be a choice for them to make. After all there are plenty of players who try to sell not so good horses at a high-ish price to unsuspecting new players.
That's the exact worry here, New Players get exploited overpaying for horses and there is a worry that they will be exploited again having a veteran give them money and say, "Go get this horse for me." And that Newbie will be screwed over.
yeah
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 4 years ago
Bertie Bassett wrote: 4 years ago I disagree with this. I don't believe new-ish players would try to sell their horse on. But if they did shouldn't that be a choice for them to make. After all there are plenty of players who try to sell not so good horses at a high-ish price to unsuspecting new players.
That's the exact worry here, New Players get exploited overpaying for horses and there is a worry that they will be exploited again having a veteran give them money and say, "Go get this horse for me." And that Newbie will be screwed over.
This is one of the reasons that players get dispersed into auctions now. Players were all here’s a few hundred thousand and a bunch of allowance routers! Can you pick up this horse from AJ under the new player umbrella for me?
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program

Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago
This is one of the reasons that players get dispersed into auctions now. Players were all here’s a few hundred thousand and a bunch of allowance routers! Can you pick up this horse from AJ under the new player umbrella for me?
Exactly
yeah
Bertie Bassett
Miler

Post by Bertie Bassett »

I do understand your concerns, but as a new player I still think it should be my choice if I sell a horse or not. As has been stated on the forum many times, not all Steward breds will make money. I have no idea how much the Steward breds in the new-ish player auction will go for (probably for more than I can afford) but if I did manage to get one and, it turned out to be not as good as I had hoped for. Why should I be forced to keep it for a few years. I would be okay with having to race the horse maybe three or four times or so and then if it hasn't broke his/her maiden and is running at a loss then be able to offer it for sale.
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

I hear what you are saying Bertie, but when I first joined, I was able to grab a couple decent horses as new players could buy from dispersals before vets. Some veterans reached out to me right away and asked to buy horses for them - I did not. However, they offered me some low-ball offers for horses a few of the horses I was able to buy on my own. Obviously I had little money and thought that it was a good/decent deal at the time. It was not.

That's a rookie mistake that I kick myself for, but I should have asked a few vets for their advice. So, even though I thought I knew what I was doing - I did not. It should be noted that these horses were not steward-breds, but very nice player bred horses with nice pedigrees.

As for your note on not all Steward-breds will make money, that is very true in the current market where vets can put $4M on 3 horses in the auction - however, in a new(ish) player auction, I would have to think those prices would come way down and chance of ROI is much greater.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

I see both sides of this.

I absolutely agree that new(er) players should be able to play the game as they see fit. And if they are interested in picking up a stewardbred at this auction as an opportunity to pinhook it and get a nice healthy bank roll I don't have an objection to that.

But

I also fully expect that if players are allowed to sell horses veteran players will actively recruit newbies to bid for them, driving up prices and make it very difficult for new(er) players actually wishing to get a stewardbred to race with their own resources to do so. Thus completely defeating the point of a special new(er) player auction. Particularly with limits going away I would expect A LOT of this behavior. (I'll admit I don't really understand why stewardbred limits are going away)

One way to partially get around this would be a sale instead of an auction where you have a few horses put up at random times during the day and players are limited to 1 horse. This would control pricing and eliminate the ability to preplan on a specific horse (thought you could still say I'll pay x for any dirt router). The reinstatement of stewardbred limits would also help though not eliminate the problem.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

I was thinking the best way to keep veterans from giving newbies money to win easy in the auction is only allow them to bid with the money they begin the auction with. Then they can pinhook if they see fit and we know veterans didn’t stick their nose in. The on,y problem is the newbies have no way to save. They have to save the entire year
yeah
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Bertie Bassett wrote: 4 years ago I do understand your concerns, but as a new player I still think it should be my choice if I sell a horse or not. As has been stated on the forum many times, not all Steward breds will make money. I have no idea how much the Steward breds in the new-ish player auction will go for (probably for more than I can afford) but if I did manage to get one and, it turned out to be not as good as I had hoped for. Why should I be forced to keep it for a few years. I would be okay with having to race the horse maybe three or four times or so and then if it hasn't broke his/her maiden and is running at a loss then be able to offer it for sale.
Because I'm pretty certain that the purpose for having an auction restricted to newish players is so that the newish players can own Steward-breds, not so that players like me can recruit new players to buy stewies for me. If someone wants to do whatever they want with a stewie, then there's the unrestricted auction they'd be welcome to bid in!

You've been playing for five weeks now. I can guarantee you that ANY Steward-bred horse that you'd pick up wouldn't be "not as good as you hoped".
George Knatz
Miler

Post by George Knatz »

Let me throw in a different story. When I was a new player there was a dispersal. A very seasoned top 5 player sent me a message with the names of a couple horses telling me to buy them and they would advance my barn by 3 or 4 seasons. Suited to Power and Defend were the best 20k I ever spent. S2P has progeny earnings of 3.6 million and most of that was mine. Defend is still producing for me today. She’s dropped 4 stakes and a freak from her 7 foals.
If I was a new player today I would never get the chance to own them. They would have been snatched up by veteran players in the dispersal auction. So I can’t say the old system was bad.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

George Knatz wrote: 4 years ago

Let me throw in a different story. When I was a new player there was a dispersal. A very seasoned top 5 player sent me a message with the names of a couple horses telling me to buy them and they would advance my barn by 3 or 4 seasons. Suited to Power and Defend were the best 20k I ever spent. S2P has progeny earnings of 3.6 million and most of that was mine. Defend is still producing for me today. She’s dropped 4 stakes and a freak from her 7 foals.
If I was a new player today I would never get the chance to own them. They would have been snatched up by veteran players in the dispersal auction. So I can’t say the old system was bad.
I think the auctions are terrible for new players, but they do avoid veteran players taking advantage of new players, they also limit the ghost accounts (I haven’t heard of one since the change).

I was about to say maybe AJ horses could be dispersed to new player auctions since it seems that’s a thing now, but I guess that leaves the room for the same issue we’re talking about for newer player stewie auctions.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program