New(ish) Players Steward Auctions

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Noel Collins
Derby Contender

Re: New(ish) Players Steward Auctions

Post by Noel Collins »

One of the things with the sale was that they were all dirt route. Not all of us do dirt route. So some people that won will be selling off to buy good horses in other divisions
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Noel Collins wrote: 4 years ago One of the things with the sale was that they were all dirt route. Not all of us do dirt route. So some people that won will be selling off to buy good horses in other divisions
Legit curious on the reasoning behind this. Why would a new player be picky about the division they have a good horse in?
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Danny Derby wrote: 4 years ago
Noel Collins wrote: 4 years ago One of the things with the sale was that they were all dirt route. Not all of us do dirt route. So some people that won will be selling off to buy good horses in other divisions
Legit curious on the reasoning behind this. Why would a new player be picky about the division they have a good horse in?
Because some people play the game differently than others? I’m not going to tell anyone how to play, want to race a horse - do it, want to sell one - do it, want to mass breed - do it, want to try and run a small barn - do it. Just play the way that makes you happy and want to continue playing as long as within the rules
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Probably because DR is a money sink and super hard to do anything in unless you get a lucky Stewardbred/random slide 😜
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago
Probably because DR is a money sink and super hard to do anything in unless you get a lucky Stewardbred/random slide 😜
Definitely part of it. Also I personally specialized very early on in my sim career because I found with my limited free time it was just to hard to keep track of everything going on if I had horses in to many divisions. Specializing let me really get to know circuits and bloodlines in a way I would not have been able to if I was just picking up the best horses I could find regardless of division.

Also someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong as it's been MANY a sim year since I've dirt router but my understanding is that it is a pretty freak heavy division so while an allowance/stakes horse can certainly be useful maybe win some lesser stakes odds are it is not going to be a superstar once in a lifetime horse. So I could definitely see why a player might want to instead use the horse to make a quick profit and then invest that money elsewhere.

In terms of the bigger question as to what (if anything) to do about the pinhooking I still wonder why limits went away. I think with limits still in place there would much less demand on pinhooks from these horses as players would rather get their quota from the general auctions. I also think the limits could have helped with the concern some players had about intermediate players dominating. I imagine the more successful intermediate players that have the resources to compete in a general auction might want to wait for that general auction if they were only allowed a limited number of stewardbreds knowing it would have more diversity and potential freaks. Meanwhile the intermediate players that are not as rich could still take advantage of this one.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago
Ok.. If you don't race dirt routers, then why not hold onto that horse and work out a swap for a stewbred from a different auction? If you pinhook there is no guarantee that you will get a stew bred in one of the other auctions.
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

I’ve asked for swaps a lot, but often times people that go after the more specialized divisions do so on purpose cause they, like me, want a DM filly and not a DR filly. So, the only way to really get that filly is to outbid them, unfortunately.

If anyone has DM mares or fillies, I’m happy to discuss a trade.