Will you be using First Class Shipping?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Re: Will you be using First Class Shipping?

Post by Danny Derby »

The Steward wrote: 4 years ago
Glenn Escobar wrote: 4 years ago
George Knatz wrote: 4 years ago

Truer words have never been spoken.
I just would like to know on what basis it’s wayyyy too cheap. First of all, it’s more than Economy Shipping and it’s optional. If a person thought it was “too cheap”, just use it yourself and then everyone is playing the same way.

Does First Class Shipping have an actual revenue target? Because 61 players signed up in the first 2 days. So can we let the 61 of them plus anyone else who picks it up later, see how much cash it actually pulls from the game before deciding that it’s underpriced?

I tried to be the biggest cheerleader for this Feature, and it’s discouraging that the voice for what looks like an immediate change is a voice of discontent with the Feature in the first place. Again it’s optional. And it will cost those who use it a fair chunk of change. I don’t see why it needs to become cash-punitive on top of that.
I'm not expressing discontent or saying we are changing it. As you noticed, we try VERY hard not to change things once the year gets going (much to the dismay of the steeplechase types). Just saying it was so immediately popular that we should have charged more and taken more of your money.
Part of the reason it's so popular is that it will leave people not using it at a competitive disadvantage. Significantly raising the price after it's already out in the wild would open a whole new can of worms.
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Danny Derby wrote: 4 years ago

I just would like to know on what basis it’s wayyyy too cheap. First of all, it’s more than Economy Shipping and it’s optional. If a person thought it was “too cheap”, just use it yourself and then everyone is playing the same way.

Does First Class Shipping have an actual revenue target? Because 61 players signed up in the first 2 days. So can we let the 61 of them plus anyone else who picks it up later, see how much cash it actually pulls from the game before deciding that it’s underpriced?

I tried to be the biggest cheerleader for this Feature, and it’s discouraging that the voice for what looks like an immediate change is a voice of discontent with the Feature in the first place. Again it’s optional. And it will cost those who use it a fair chunk of change. I don’t see why it needs to become cash-punitive on top of that.
I'm not expressing discontent or saying we are changing it. As you noticed, we try VERY hard not to change things once the year gets going (much to the dismay of the steeplechase types). Just saying it was so immediately popular that we should have charged more and taken more of your money.
Part of the reason it's so popular is that it will leave people not using it at a competitive disadvantage. Significantly raising the price after it's already out in the wild would open a whole new can of worms.
<Insert Slow Clap Here>
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

<Insert Slow Clap Here>
Maybe I should go back and edit my original post (a reply to someone wishing it was more on par with real life) and say: DISCLAIMER We are not changing the price we just discussed we should have made it more expensive in the first place please do not panic there is no need for mass hysteria.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

<Insert Slow Clap Here>
Maybe I should go back and edit my original post (a reply to someone wishing it was more on par with real life) and say: DISCLAIMER We are not changing the price we just discussed we should have made it more expensive in the first place please do not panic there is no need for mass hysteria.
Willowcreek Farms
Classic Contender

Post by Willowcreek Farms »

I am going to keep picking at this scab.....

$200 to van a horse from Aurora Meadows to Penny Pincher Park (30km approx) - A bit expensive but realistic. Fuel is expensive in the Far North 😊

6000km to FLY a horse from Alberta to NZ at a cost of $1,250....PRICELESS. (Double it and add a zero, we really are spoiled with cheap shipping costs)

If we are looking at a way to take money out of the game, this is a way forward. I won't ship an allowance horse from NA to NZ. But a stakes horse with higher earning potential- Yes. That is the cost of campaigning a stakes horse. Just saying....
Last edited by Willowcreek Farms 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
“ A lot of it is out of your hands and the more you do this the more you realize this."
-Chad Brown
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

$1000 fee paid to Dr. Hacklu to tell you his hemorrhoids are flaring up and to come back tomorrow and he might give your horse an exam. Priceless
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Sten Rino Haakonsen
Eclipse Champion

Post by Sten Rino Haakonsen »

I agree with Glenn cannot complain about something that has not been tested yet and if you increase what it costs it will be only the richest that can afford it making it another thing giving the richest an advantage at least now most plyers can afford it somewhat
Willowcreek Farms
Classic Contender

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago $1000 fee paid to Dr. Hacklu to tell you his hemorrhoids are flaring up and to come back tomorrow and he might give your horse an exam. Priceless
AWESOME....Keep,em coming Pete.
“ A lot of it is out of your hands and the more you do this the more you realize this."
-Chad Brown
Willowcreek Farms
Classic Contender

Sten Rino Haakonsen wrote: 4 years ago I agree with Glenn cannot complain about something that has not been tested yet and if you increase what it costs it will be only the richest that can afford it making it another thing giving the richest an advantage at least now most plyers can afford it somewhat
Horseracing is a rich persons sport. Don't target the rich stables because they put the years into building up their stables or the players that buy GPs to buy SIM cash. If you can't afford GP's make deals with players to lease a good horse etc, etc. The rich owner / poor owner arguement is getting old. Again, Just saying...
-Chad Brown
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Add me to the list of those that think it's too cheap, considering the benefits of being able to ship long distances with adding ZERO TIREDNESS. That's a big deal. A horse that ran W14 in Australia and shipped first class to the SC in, say, Kentucky, could actually have an advantage (in terms of rest) over a horse that ran W14 in KY and shipped ("economy") to the farm next door, because even that hour van ride adds more tiredness than a first class transcontinental flight. That's worth a hell of a lot more than 30 cents a mile, if you ask me. ;)
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Laura Smith wrote: 4 years ago A horse that ran W14 in Australia and shipped first class to the SC in, say, Kentucky, could actually have an advantage (in terms of rest) over a horse that ran W14 in KY and shipped ("economy") to the farm next door, because even that hour van ride adds more tiredness than a first class transcontinental flight.
Not necessarily. While we know horses using first class shipping aren't getting tired and are actually resting we don't know how much rest they are getting and my guess (with admittedly no evidence to back this up) is that it is less than farm rest. So yes looking at just the ship the local economy 1 hour van added tiredness whereas the first class transcontinental actually took some away, but the local 1 hour shipped horse was then starting to accumulate farm rest an hour after its race where it will be a full 24 hours before the transcontinental horse will be on a farm getting farm rest. Don't know the numbers to know how things would compare but I feel as if the time away from a farm when using first class shipping is not really being added into people's equations. Still obviously better than economy when they were actively getting tired (though not away from a farm for quite as long) but not sure I'd say a long first class ship is better than a short economy one.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Ken Lind
Sprinter

Post by Ken Lind »

Ouch...to quote the Ramones "my brain is hanging upside down"....I think that the less I read in the forums the better I feel...

Sorry, but I do the sim to relax and this reminds me of all the analytical stuff I had to do back when I was a useful member of society.
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Laura Smith wrote: 4 years ago Add me to the list of those that think it's too cheap, considering the benefits of being able to ship long distances with adding ZERO TIREDNESS. That's a big deal. A horse that ran W14 in Australia and shipped first class to the SC in, say, Kentucky, could actually have an advantage (in terms of rest) over a horse that ran W14 in KY and shipped ("economy") to the farm next door, because even that hour van ride adds more tiredness than a first class transcontinental flight. That's worth a hell of a lot more than 30 cents a mile, if you ask me. ;)
If you believe this, then USING IT FOR 30 CENTS A MILE is the absolute optimal play.

Arguing that it should be more than that cost and then not using it is sub-optimal on 2 Counts.

Joseph Depaulo
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Joseph Depaulo »

Small Stables with think its too cheap big stables will think its to expensive im fine with it either way but if it ends up taking big chunks out of my bottom line i will just do what i generally do run my horses every three weeks if i ship them far ill just send them a couple days after their race and turn off the first class ship feature and be no worse for wear .
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Joseph Depaulo wrote: 4 years ago Small Stables with think its too cheap big stables will think its to expensive im fine with it either way but if it ends up taking big chunks out of my bottom line i will just do what i generally do run my horses every three weeks if i ship them far ill just send them a couple days after their race and turn off the first class ship feature and be no worse for wear .

In some cases I agree with this. But I would consider myself a big stable and I don’t think it’s too expensive as it stands.

I do think that increasing its price to make it cash-punitive is out of line, and yet most changes in the SIM seem to penalize in that direction.

But as it stands, I have no problem with the price or with needing to adjust to overcome the increase in shipping expenses. I just don’t think that “it’s wayyyy too cheap” simply because some of us are willing to pay it to reap the complete advantage that Danny referenced above.