Will you be using First Class Shipping?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Re: Will you be using First Class Shipping?

Post by Laura Smith »

Alyssa Lapa wrote: 4 years ago
Laura Smith wrote: 4 years ago Yes, though I lament the loss of strategy required in choosing the correct circuit for a horse based on the stakes schedule/race spacing, level of competition, other top horses who have chosen to race on that circuit, availability of purse money, weather trends, and accrued tiredness from shipping distances... I guess it'll be cool to see if I can race a Very Sound in back to back weeks?

Oops. I did it. I did a discussion. Just can't help myself.
The Steward did talk about this in another thread.
There's actually an added element of cleverness needed to train now. Yes, if you pay the fee you can have more international races. But racing against top horses all the time usually leads to higher speed figures and makes them more tired, thus you can actually do damage if you go for ALL the gold... going to have to pick and choose your spots, maybe even more carefully than before.
I saw that, but I'm not talking about top horses, really. I pick and choose circuits for all my decent horses carefully, based on all of the above factors. When someone can just pop into Chile or Russia or whatever on a whim to prep their SC horse, it defeats the purpose of me specifically placing a 3rd rate stakes horse there where they can win because of several reasons not least of which is that it's far away and no one's going to send their good horses there for one race.

Don't mean to be negative, I just enjoy playing devil's advocate.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Laura Smith wrote: 4 years ago
Laura Smith wrote: 4 years ago Yes, though I lament the loss of strategy required in choosing the correct circuit for a horse based on the stakes schedule/race spacing, level of competition, other top horses who have chosen to race on that circuit, availability of purse money, weather trends, and accrued tiredness from shipping distances... I guess it'll be cool to see if I can race a Very Sound in back to back weeks?

There's actually an added element of cleverness needed to train now. Yes, if you pay the fee you can have more international races. But racing against top horses all the time usually leads to higher speed figures and makes them more tired, thus you can actually do damage if you go for ALL the gold... going to have to pick and choose your spots, maybe even more carefully than before.
I saw that, but I'm not talking about top horses, really. I pick and choose circuits for all my decent horses carefully, based on all of the above factors. When someone can just pop into Chile or Russia or whatever on a whim to prep their SC horse, it defeats the purpose of me specifically placing a 3rd rate stakes horse there where they can win because of several reasons not least of which is that it's far away and no one's going to send their good horses there for one race.

Don't mean to be negative, I just enjoy playing devil's advocate.
This is what I have been saying! 😅
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Willowcreek Farms
Classic Contender

Post by Willowcreek Farms »

I have been playing this game for 8 years and didn't know this about the SF:Tiredness thing. Makes sense. So I stand corrected on my last post and apologize for my ignorance and somewhat wingy comment.

To deal with potential excessive travel make the international/long distance travel more appropriately expensive. If it really only cost $1,800 to ship a horse from Canada to NZ I Would have definitely brought my TB mare to NZ in RL. (I miss you Ghost Girl😢) Just a thought....
“ A lot of it is out of your hands and the more you do this the more you realize this."
-Chad Brown
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

C.S. Werth wrote: 4 years ago

I have been playing this game for 8 years and didn't know this about the SF:Tiredness thing. Makes sense. So I stand corrected on my last post and apologize for my ignorance and somewhat wingy comment.

To deal with potential excessive travel make the international/long distance travel more appropriately expensive. If it really only cost $1,800 to ship a horse from Canada to NZ I Would have definitely brought my TB mare to NZ in RL. (I miss you Ghost Girl😢) Just a thought....
We're already discussing that we priced it wayyyy too low.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

The Steward wrote: 4 years ago

I am using it.
And I know this thread isnt for a discussion but I have yet to offer my thoughts and this seems to be the best place to do so.
Jack up the price 10x but make it selectable per horse. My Alaskan horses really don't need this. The way it is currently setup it kinda removes some of the fun of the local circuits as well. There is definitely a loss of strategic fun, I used to pre plan shipping dirt milers to South America, Turkey and Kansai and now it feels kinda like what's the point?
I like this but I think it needs tweaking.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Willowcreek Farms
Classic Contender

EXCELLENT!!! (And I meant to say whinge not wingy)
“ A lot of it is out of your hands and the more you do this the more you realize this."
-Chad Brown
Willowcreek Farms
Classic Contender

Andrew James wrote: 4 years ago

I am using it.
And I know this thread isnt for a discussion but I have yet to offer my thoughts and this seems to be the best place to do so.
Jack up the price 10x but make it selectable per horse. My Alaskan horses really don't need this. The way it is currently setup it kinda removes some of the fun of the local circuits as well. There is definitely a loss of strategic fun, I used to pre plan shipping dirt milers to South America, Turkey and Kansai and now it feels kinda like what's the point?
My Alaska claimers stay put up north for instance. I would rather skip a race and leave them idling in the barn instead of travelling with them. Keeps them fresher in ly mind. My good but not great sprinters run the Dashing Downs and Kentucky circuit. My 2yo run in Cali or Winnipeg and only my better horses move around a bit. Keeps the costs down and the horses fresher IMO.
-Chad Brown
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Can we just use it for longer than 2 game days before deciding it needs a bunch of tweaking?

It’s an optional feature. So far I’ve heard “it’s too expensive” not “it’s too cheap” from those reluctant to use it.

Since it’s optional, it can always just not be used by a player.

Do we really need to increase the price before even having an idea of what kind of revenues it will generate?
Last edited by Glenn Escobar 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Andrew James wrote: 4 years ago

I am using it.
My Alaska claimers stay put up north for instance. I would rather skip a race and leave them idling in the barn instead of travelling with them. Keeps them fresher in ly mind. My good but not great sprinters run the Dashing Downs and Kentucky circuit. My 2yo run in Cali or Winnipeg and only my better horses move around a bit. Keeps the costs down and the horses fresher IMO.
Mine too, I just meant that the way it is currently used it is way too much work to constantly go in and turn it on and off on certain days which means shipping my Alaskan horses are costing me 2x what they used to.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Willowcreek Farms
Classic Contender

I wont use the first class travel. I shedrow all my horses for 2-3 days prior to a race. Not sure if it makes a difference but it costs me nothing (except data) and it makes me feel better. 😁 Plus, I plan ahead. If my horses move to a new circuit I move them there after the last race instead of prior to the next race.
Last edited by Willowcreek Farms 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Chad Brown
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Par for the course with any sim changes...stay tuned for the tweak lol.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
George Knatz
Miler

Post by George Knatz »

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago Par for the course with any sim changes...stay tuned for the tweak lol.
Truer words have never been spoken.
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

George Knatz wrote: 4 years ago
Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago Par for the course with any sim changes...stay tuned for the tweak lol.
I just would like to know on what basis it’s wayyyy too cheap. First of all, it’s more than Economy Shipping and it’s optional. If a person thought it was “too cheap”, just use it yourself and then everyone is playing the same way.

Does First Class Shipping have an actual revenue target? Because 61 players signed up in the first 2 days. So can we let the 61 of them plus anyone else who picks it up later, see how much cash it actually pulls from the game before deciding that it’s underpriced?

I tried to be the biggest cheerleader for this Feature, and it’s discouraging that the voice for what looks like an immediate change is a voice of discontent with the Feature in the first place. Again it’s optional. And it will cost those who use it a fair chunk of change. I don’t see why it needs to become cash-punitive on top of that.

The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Glenn Escobar wrote: 4 years ago
I just would like to know on what basis it’s wayyyy too cheap. First of all, it’s more than Economy Shipping and it’s optional. If a person thought it was “too cheap”, just use it yourself and then everyone is playing the same way.

Does First Class Shipping have an actual revenue target? Because 61 players signed up in the first 2 days. So can we let the 61 of them plus anyone else who picks it up later, see how much cash it actually pulls from the game before deciding that it’s underpriced?

I tried to be the biggest cheerleader for this Feature, and it’s discouraging that the voice for what looks like an immediate change is a voice of discontent with the Feature in the first place. Again it’s optional. And it will cost those who use it a fair chunk of change. I don’t see why it needs to become cash-punitive on top of that.
I'm not expressing discontent or saying we are changing it. As you noticed, we try VERY hard not to change things once the year gets going (much to the dismay of the steeplechase types). Just saying it was so immediately popular that we should have charged more and taken more of your money.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Glenn Escobar wrote: 4 years ago

I'm not expressing discontent or saying we are changing it. As you noticed, we try VERY hard not to change things once the year gets going (much to the dismay of the steeplechase types). Just saying it was so immediately popular that we should have charged more and taken more of your money.
I’m guessing it is going to take $2.5Million out of my bottom line. That’s my estimated increase in shipping costs while using it. I likely won’t be it’s biggest customer even.

I’m not sure how much more it can take lol.