WRONG EQUIPS

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

WRONG EQUIPS

Post by The Harlequins »

Afternoon al,

I am ashamed to say i sent 16 horses to race yesterday and the jock said WRONG STUFF LOL

I have no credits to ask ,i know after 6 starts the jockey blackmails you into parting with info :lol:

Was hoping to last till game points and a half day, to buy.

Could i ask .

Is there another way to find equips while the horse is activly running.

Frank
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Re: WRONG EQUIPS

Post by Lori Hamill »

I think after 6 races the jockey will tell you what equipment is needed for a certain amount of SIM cash. (I don't remember the amount, sorry.) I guess you could try throwing on various pieces and seeing if any help? We used to try to figure out equipment by running lines but I don't remember it working very well. If you have enough SIM cash you could sell some of it for GP's on the exchange - not sure if you can do that as a new player yet? Hopefully others have some better suggestions for you, Frank.

Sadly, it's not until the end of April for GP and a half day. :(
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

It's $5,000 after the 6th race for the equipment. If I don't have the equipment for a horse, I use workout times and trial and error to figure out the equipment.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Frank, perhaps the answer you’re looking for is that when you click on ‘Train this Horse’ you can scroll down to find ‘check for equipment’ which allows you to check the horse’s equipment for 500 game points. Be aware though that the trainer will only reveal one piece of equipment. Sometimes that’s the only bit of equipment a horse needs but when it’s two pieces the trainer will either tell you that they ‘have to observe this horse in training to try to figure it out’ (which means the second piece will be figure 8, blinkers, shadow roll, ear muffs, sure win or no whip), or she will tell you ‘but I can’t help you with that’ in which case you can ask the vet (the vet pieces are lasix, bandages hind and front and lasix) but he won’t always tell you, it’s mostly random and by chance.

Maybe I misunderstood your question though and you already knew all of this!
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

This is my two cents worth. I don't start racing them until I am really quite sure they have the correct equipment. For ones I am wrong on, I put them back in training until I can figure out what should be correct. I don't keep trying to run them, since, imo,it is just wearing down on their confidence level to keep getting beat. That said, if I think it's just between one or two pieces, I will switch to the next piece or combo I think it might be and enter the horse in another race to see if the jockey agrees with that piece, or not.

I always "purchase" the first piece on any horse I am planning to run, so then I know if that is the only equipment it needs, or if it needs another training piece or a vet piece. That lowers the number of choices to try.

You can gallop weekly (or whatever your training schedule is) hoping the trainer will cough up a piece. Or pay the vet over and over if you know it is a vet piece, but that can get quite expensive.

It is tough without game points to purchase the first piece. If you don't have that, it is just doing weekly workouts with different combinations to see which piece or pieces they work the fastest in.

I hope this helps some, it is all I could think of without GP's. Good Luck, Frank!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

That you all for the replies.

I guess in my heart there were no quick fixs.

Regards Frank
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

I don't think it gets said often enough but 'back in the day' before we had EQ checks/gallop comments one of the ways you'd figure out equipment would be to look at their racing line and try to judge their needs off what they did in their race
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

A list of race comments that suggest a certain equp from the past, would make a great New player post in my view Rebecca.

Frank
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I feel like there have been a few but I can't locate one right now. Try doing a forum search for "running line" and clicking straight back to the last (first, chronologically) page of results.
There's a lot of info out there from when we used to use running lines and the collective SIM hivemind to equip horses.
Keep in mind, though, that unless the Steward is saying it, then it's just someone's opinion, and very possibly entirely wrong... though looking for input by Eric and Laura is a good start. Also, all running line advice assumes that a horse is running at the correct distance and against a similar class level to it's own ability, so if those two factors aren't in place, it's pretty pointless to try to judge anything from a running line.

For my part, let's see what I can remember from my personal preferences...

Starts ("broke slowly" etc) and racing luck (bumped, checked, wide trip, etc) are just things that happen and are unaffected by equipment.
"Hung": add or remove blinkers
Horses that start fast and fade: remove blinkers
Fading abruptly in the stretch: add Lasix
Rank/bore out etc: try f8

I'll see if anything else comes to me while I'm at work.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Great stuff Laura,

Have had some of those comments while wearing wrong equips.

I try not to overface my horses.

I seem to have a few to many horses that have been claimed or bought cheaply that have had no gallops and have not revealed any equips on the gallops.

I HAVE STOPPED buying just because they are cheap now without a good look through.

Regards Frank.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Laura Smith wrote: 4 years ago I feel like there have been a few but I can't locate one right now. Try doing a forum search for "running line" and clicking straight back to the last (first, chronologically) page of results.
There's a lot of info out there from when we used to use running lines and the collective SIM hivemind to equip horses.
Keep in mind, though, that unless the Steward is saying it, then it's just someone's opinion, and very possibly entirely wrong... though looking for input by Eric and Laura is a good start. Also, all running line advice assumes that a horse is running at the correct distance and against a similar class level to it's own ability, so if those two factors aren't in place, it's pretty pointless to try to judge anything from a running line.

For my part, let's see what I can remember from my personal preferences...

Starts ("broke slowly" etc) and racing luck (bumped, checked, wide trip, etc) are just things that happen and are unaffected by equipment.
"Hung": add or remove blinkers
Horses that start fast and fade: remove blinkers
Fading abruptly in the stretch: add Lasix
Rank/bore out etc: try f8

I'll see if anything else comes to me while I'm at work.
My input is that I never found the running lines to be very helpful. There's too many variables besides equipment - a horse could fade even with the correct equipment if there's a crazy pace scenario with a bunch of front runners. I have had horses with the running line of closing in the stretch, when their position switches from first to fourth. A horse could have a troubled trip, which also leads to the wrong conclusion. I just remember how many horses I was running on the wrong equipment, based on running lines, once we had the ability to actually check equipment (the saving grace was, most of the SIM was on the wrong equipment).

I think there was a theory that horses that were slower to recover need bandages. Out of curiosity, I compared my unsound/very unsound horses to my sound/very sound horses, and there's no real difference, percentage-wise, in the horses that have bandages than the horses that don't. That's just anecdotal, but I should have enough of a sample size that if there was a ton of weight to that, there ought to be more bandages on the unsound group, and fewer bandages on the sound group.

I constantly pick up horses via claim/sale/AJ that are on the wrong equipment. To me, if you have a good horse, you want to pay the game points to check the equipment, because the other ways are just too unreliable (even works - sometimes the correct piece is the third fastest time). Filler horses, not so much - you can kind of back your way in while picking up purse money along the way.
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Stong views from a strong player there Laura F

Back to the think tank :lol:
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

I know that I get a lot of the same comments now that we used to get back when we used to use running lines and my horses have the correct equipment now.
I think there were horses I ran with 4 or more pieces of equipment at that time. What I wanted was lightning bolts for their feet. :)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯