Why did you choose that division?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Re: Why did you choose that division?

Post by Stormy Peak »

I came into the game wanting to get into dirt routing, as most the major USA races are dirt routes...it's what I grew up watching on t.v. since 1972 when I watched Riva Ridge win the Kentucky Derby, then watched his stablemate, Secretariat win the Triple Crown the following year.

I joined in year 17, and I got extremely lucky in that the free horse I was allowed to pick the pedigree for, and the Steward bred, was a mare I named Foremost - she didn't do a lot on the track, but she ended up being the foundation mare for a long line of turf routing fillies that have won millions for me. I have 2 from that line running now and doing great!

Roughian -- She recently won a Pegasus race
Foretold -- I think she's limited in she loves mud and just doesn't perform well on dry tracks, I've tried her a few times now on them, and it just doesn't seem to work out well for her, and unless she suddenly tanks this year, I think she has a great chance of becoming a millionaire too.

Back when I was still thinking I wanted to go with dirt routers, I dabbled in the turf division and I again got lucky and ended up with 2 nice turf horses. One was a miler, Won't Back Down, and the other was a sprinter, Storm The Blockade. It wasn't planned out, but my focus went from dirt routers to pretty much turfy horses in general. But I have to admit I love the turf routers the best.

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Like many here, initially I threw everything at the wall and kept what stuck, so to speak. I started out with zero preference for horse type, as long as it seemed like it would be fun and/or profitable. Years passed, some breeding experiments worked, some didn't; I got lucky with good finds in some divisions and not others; divisions where my mares were weak just died out over time.
It didn't hurt that the niche I found was in a division that, even as recently as 10 or 15 sim years ago, no one really cared about... so I was just "that turf sprint weirdo" and I liked it. 😉
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Laura Smith wrote: 4 years ago Like many here, initially I threw everything at the wall and kept what stuck, so to speak. I started out with zero preference for horse type, as long as it seemed like it would be fun and/or profitable. Years passed, some breeding experiments worked, some didn't; I got lucky with good finds in some divisions and not others; divisions where my mares were weak just died out over time.
It didn't hurt that the niche I found was in a division that, even as recently as 10 or 15 sim years ago, no one really cared about... so I was just "that turf sprint weirdo" and I liked it. 😉
But now look how popular they are becoming 😂 everyone and their dog wants a TS pony 😜
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Brad Fabman
Derby Contender

Post by Brad Fabman »

Getting out of thoroughbreds. I hate them. Not in real life. Just in this game. Too erratic for me. And I have no plans to get involved with the whole Steward Bred thing. So it's pretty much everything else for me.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

When I started I got lucky enough to help a veteran who had a nice turf sprinter mare. She offered me cash or a breeding for helping her. I wisely picked the mare who produced my first SC winner Gumbeaux Queen. Had a nice run of good turf sprinters having won 4 SC turf sprint races along with a couple 2nd-3rd place finishes. REALLY wanted nice turf/dirt routers and its only taken me 10 real years but I've finally won the SC Turf and Louisville Derby! I'm clearly not a quicker learner. lol

That being said I encourage everyone to accept a good horse no matter what type. A good horse is a good horse and can be a means to an end. For the longest time I was super annoyed that I was able to do so well in turf sprinters who I honestly didn't care that much about but struggled in the turf/dirt router divisions even when I spent so much time on them. But the money and nicer horses I had in turf sprinters helped me better the rest of my barn.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

started in dr and picked up a stallion somehow bred by emily mitchell? Traitor.. I bred him like a beginner, did nothing, learned more about sprinting from some guy named Jarrod, also was shocked I couldnt enter my 2yo drouters for 10 weeks!! Bummer! Sprinters start on week one! yay! and the rest just went from there.. first stewbred I somehow won I dont know what she was named, but she was a dirt sprinter, I didnt know you werent supposed to rename stewbreds and she was renamed runaround sioux.. She was ok, but never did anything close to what I paid for, however, she had a worse daughter who we would call PRODUCTIVE, but then I think was called great gallop.. Since we didnt have the column then for gallop I decided to name all my great gallopers after cereal names, so this one was named Rice Krispy, she did zilch on the track, but she had a daughter named Esspecially Krispy who did a little better..
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Art Kage wrote: 4 years ago started in dr and picked up a stallion somehow bred by emily mitchell? Traitor.. I bred him like a beginner, did nothing, learned more about sprinting from some guy named Jarrod, also was shocked I couldnt enter my 2yo drouters for 10 weeks!! Bummer! Sprinters start on week one! yay! and the rest just went from there.. first stewbred I somehow won I dont know what she was named, but she was a dirt sprinter, I didnt know you werent supposed to rename stewbreds and she was renamed runaround sioux.. She was ok, but never did anything close to what I paid for, however, she had a worse daughter who we would call PRODUCTIVE, but then I think was called great gallop.. Since we didnt have the column then for gallop I decided to name all my great gallopers after cereal names, so this one was named Rice Krispy, she did zilch on the track, but she had a daughter named Esspecially Krispy who did a little better..
Hmmmmmm. I think I may have heard of this mare...
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

When I started back in 2011, I barely got on before the break. Had time to read up a bit on the game. Had some wonderful people who gave a helping hand to a newbie. For some reason, I did not take advantage of TP like I should have. Anyway, I raced whatever I had that would make some money, and raced those given to me by some veterans. I gravitated towards DS, like so many, as they were plentiful, relatively cheap, and could start racing quickly. Lucked out when I bred a colt that was at first a claimer, then at his next gallop became a "scary" (Freak, now days). Countless Stars was so much fun to race and made a lot of money with him, for a newbie! Dud in the shed, but I was hooked.

I pretty much now focus on DS and working on the TM, DM, and have a fondness for AWR. I dabble in mixed just for something to run on Wed & Sat.

To reiterate what Lou said, run whatever good horses you come across or luck into. I found it was better to focus on a few divisions instead of everything at once, but others do it differently. Whatever you choose to do, just know to relax and have fun with the game, and don't worry about what other folk are doing or how much bigger or better other stables are. You just keep plugging away. You will find your niche eventually!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Ma Springs
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ma Springs »

So many good stories! I love this thread. Thank you! 🤗

It seems to be not uncommon to follow your best runners and let them lead the way. I like that thought, digging where it's soft... at least until you have set that specific goal.
Nashville Stud
Elite Power | DS/DM/AWS/AWM/AWR | $40,000
Levels | TM | $12,000 with incentives
Kacchan | TM | $3,500
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Fame and fortune (I still have neither)
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Tim Matthews wrote: 4 years ago Fame and fortune (I still have neither)
I don't know Tim, people still sit around a camp fire to this day, recalling the battles you had with the legendary Dave Matthews Band!