To run a filly in the Derby?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Should I run a filly in the Derby?

Poll ended at 4 years ago

Yes - Topsy Turvy
47%
Yes - Spe Chan
16%
No! Run both in the Oaks
37%

Total votes: 19

Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

To run a filly in the Derby?

Post by Danny Derby »

So I've got two fillies that I'm debating running in the Derby in addition to my two colts. I'd only one run of them since I couldn't enter both, but I'm really torn. Should I take a shot in the big one, or leave them in the Oaks where they'd undoubtedly have a better chance. Let's meet the two fillies.

Topsy Turvy is one of the final foals from Wish Upon A Star, and apart from a stumble in the Steward's Cup has been consistent and wonderful her whole career. For sentimental reasons I also would love more than anything for Wish Upon A Star to get a Derby winner, and this is probably her last chance. Downside is that she doesn't care for a wet track.

Spe Chan just wants to be the #1 horse girl in the SIM! Her namesake won the Japan Derby against the boys, giving her something to strive for. She absolutely toyed with her competition last out posting a 100 speed figure, although she'd face far far far tougher in the Derby. Pedigree and class are there, but this would be a tall ask. Upside is she loves mud.
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Re: To run a filly in the Derby?

Post by Ash Tarasin »

"For sentimental reasons I also would love more than anything for Wish Upon A Star to get a Derby winner"
What do you want the most? To see her win the Derby, or to not see her fail in the Derby?
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Spe Chan might bounce big time after running a 100 fig and now facing the boys for the first time but her pedigree seems Derby suited and she’s obviously talented.

Topsy Turvy has ran consistent figs in the 90’s and has been very good this season, beating the SC winning filly of last year. Pedigree suggests she’ll handle the Derby and really, how gutted would you be if she bombs in the Derby vs how gutted if she wins the Oaks by daylight? But remember that the Oaks and Derby can throw out some weird performances and she’s not guaranteed to place well in the Oaks. If she were mine and I was debating this, I would just give her a go in the Derby. She’s coming in confident, seems to have had a fairly normal race last out so I wouldn’t worry about a bounce, and she has already beaten top fillies in her division. So I voted to run her in the Derby.
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Changed my mind.
I think they should both run in the derby. Remove one of the colts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSI9qHhRwNc
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Thanks all for the feedback! I'm still on the fence, and will no doubt remain there until entries are due next Thursday.