Further questions regarding confidence

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Further questions regarding confidence

Post by Ash Tarasin »

This Steward-written text got me wondering about confidence.

How to Regain Confidence?
"A lot of people think you need to drop a stakes horse all the way into an allowance to guarantee a win. This is actually almost worse, unless you can really guarantee the victory. A stakes horse getting beat in an allowance only hurts their confidence more. Look for an easier stakes in a lighter racing circuit instead. A single win makes the horse fully confident again."
Source: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=38707&p=346641&hil ... ce#p346641

I begun to wonder what defines a "stakes horse". Is it enough to have been racing in a stakes race to be considered one? Would my decent allowance horse put in a G1 to pick up money once or twice (soundly beaten), before sent back into allowance/NW company considered a stakes horse? If not, how many times would you be allowed to do that before the risk of losing the next non-stakes race would be increased?

I previously thought that racing your horses as "fillers" would only lower their self-confidence but it seems it would do that plus increase the risk it would lower it even further would it not win their next non-stakes race.

Knowing how you would define a "stakes horse" according to the text above may have me reconsider what kind of horses I'd like to add as "fillers", as it may increase the difficulty of continous raceplacement.

/Ash - home-with-a-cold-and-with-the-thinking-hat-on
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Re: Further questions regarding confidence

Post by Jo Ferris »

I define a 'stakes horse' as a horse that either is either winning stakes, or is competitive in stakes. The horse you describe I'd consider an allowance horse as it's not competitive in stakes.

As far as I understand about confidence a loss lowers it, regardless of how much they lost by and the race type, it's the same amount of confidence lost, the more races in a row they lose their confidence gets lowered more and more, regardless of the race type. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

A bit lower down the scale Ash.

I dont know what races claimers race in but nearly every time i claim a horse it is allowance or productive.

Frank
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Jo Ferris wrote: 4 years ago I define a 'stakes horse' as a horse that either is either winning stakes, or is competitive in stakes. The horse you describe I'd consider an allowance horse as it's not competitive in stakes.
The way the Steward is wording herself in the quote and link above, the game (code) itself must have a way of defining what a "stakes horse" is. You're suggesting that at least once a horse wins a stakes, the horse would be considered one. That means a few of my TR claimers would have been stakes horses. (Not saying that would be wrong, mind. I am just trying to understand).
Jo Ferris wrote: 4 years ago As far as I understand about confidence a loss lowers it, regardless of how much they lost by and the race type, it's the same amount of confidence lost, the more races in a row they lose their confidence gets lowered more and more, regardless of the race type.
But that isn't what the Steward is saying in the forum post in the link above.