Jockeys performance

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Jockeys performance

Post by The Harlequins »

Just payed to have a chat with Duncan McScout, he said.
"Frank Flynn rides like a mere apprentice! I don't like what I see here."

What do i do about it :evil:
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Re: Jockeys performance

Post by The Harlequins »

No wonder it as took him 6 bloody races to tell me anything lol
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Michael Looker
Classic Contender

Post by Michael Looker »

Back when I was a few years into the SIM I dropped a few thousand GPs on asking Duncan about some of the available jockeys. I eventually found one that had whatever the highest comment was at the time.

I'm not sure what the best comment is, but I've checked the three jockeys available at the moment with the best winning strikerates and two of them are "Pretty good and have some ability" (or something like that). That sounds decent enough, but probably isn't the best comment. The third jockey was "Wouldn't trust him in a photo finish but otherwise he's fine", which sounds like it's at least one step down on the other two but at least one step up on Mr. Flynn.

My original jockey rode like a "sack of potatoes" apparently, but still won plenty of races.

Keep in mind that a bad jockey who rode for a good trainer will have a better record than a good jockey who rode for a bad trainer, so you can't just go by earnings or wins. If you DO want to spend some GPs you can go down the list and find jockeys with names you like, ask Duncan about them, and hope to find a good one.

Another thing to keep in mind is that jockeys don't make a huge difference here. The best jockeys can make a difference in a photo finish, but you're not going to find 3L on all of your runners by grabbing a better jockey. If you race a lot of mixers though (where the top eight in a race can sometimes be separated by eight noses) then having a top jock who can find that extra nose or two can be a big deal.
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

The only time I see nose finishes in Thoroughbreds is in the very top races. So, if you only race TBs and they aren't among the best, then I wouldn't stress over or spend the GP worrying about the jockey capability.

Having said that, the best comment I've seen is "knows right where the finish line is".

Also, if you choose among unemployed jockeys, I wouldn't go by their percentages of success. If they came from a low quality TB barn, their stats won't look good but they could have been a top quality jockey. Likewise, a jockey might show good stats because he was riding for a stable with good horses, but he's actually a low quality jockey.
Last edited by Regina Moore 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Thanks for the imput guys, is creating your own jockey a bit of a lottery ?
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

I never worry about things i have no control over ,but it seems i can improve my jockeys.

Going to have a chat with Cindy Sugar beet, next to check out the statues of the feed suppliers lol
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I've tossed out jockeys with the comment of 'rides like a sack of potatoes'

I have kept these jockeys....and I spent a lot of money over the years to get just 2 of them with top comments:
I used Parker Fox and Kayla Harper forever, but kept creating jockeys until I finally got a top comment with Victor Kindrick. I have upon rare occasions had 2 horses entered into 1 stakes race, so I like the idea of having at least two top jocks. Kayla Harper...rode a lot of my Grade 1 stake winners, even though her comment wasn't as good as Parker Fox's. She was my best jockey for a long time before the other two came along.

I also store their comments in my notes right away because from I can see, there's no other way to look them up again to see what there comments were.

My Jockeys
Parker Fox: A true natural, knows exactly where the wire is!
Victor Kindrick: A true natural. knows exactly where the wire is!

Kirk Ritter A pretty good jockey, definitely has some talent!
Kayla Harper: Don't count on her for photo finishes, otherwise not a problem.
Cesar Stevens: Don't count on him for photo finishes, otherwise not a problem.
Glenn Morgan: A pretty good jockey, definitely has some talent
Leo Racy: Don't count on him for photo finishes, otherwise not a problem

I also seemed to have read that the jockey is just a very small part as far as any advantage...but get enough of those small parts, such as a horses weather preferences, and exercises, to add up and it does help in my opinion between winning or losing by a nose or a head over a horse of equal talent but one who might like mud and be running on a dry track, has a lesser quality jockey and who never did the gate, paddock and pony training at some point in his life.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Frank Chilton wrote: 4 years ago Just payed to have a chat with Duncan McScout, he said.
"Frank Flynn rides like a mere apprentice! I don't like what I see here."

What do i do about it :evil:
If it were me, I'd have him drawn and quartered in a public square!

I'd also make sure I had a percentage of the concessions being sold at the event ;)
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

This reminded me that I haven't thought about jockeys in forever. So decided to play around some.

The two jockeys I had had the following comments
My main jockey: Matthew Downing is a pretty good jockey and definitely has some talent
My backup jockey: Ryan Hastings rides like a mere apprentice! I don't like what I see here

Made some new jockeys and got the following: "Taylor Akers has some training, it appears, and can at least stay in the saddle during a race!"
"This jock rides like a sack of potatoes out there! I'd be afraid to let Raine Hewitt gallop a horse let alone ride in a race!"

I would like to note little sad that it seems while "Taylor" is a first name option and "Townsend" a last name option if I select Taylor as my first name I can't use Townsend as a last name :( Sadness. I love me some Taylor Townsend (though admittedly Taylor is also the wrong gender here)
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

I honestly don't think I've ever checked my Jockeys, but in the sake of Covid-19 lockdown boredom here's mine:
Main Jockey: "I wouldn't count on Frank Frost in any photo finishes, otherwise there shouldn't be a problem here."
2nd Main Jockey: "I wouldn't count on Harry Evans in any photo finishes, otherwise there shouldn't be a problem here."
Guy who never gets to ride except maybe once in a blue moon if I have 3 SC entries in a race: "Hector Ferrari rides like a mere apprentice! I don't like what I see here."
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k