A Good Trainer. A Definition.

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Abby Brooks
Grade 3 Winner

Re: A Good Trainer. A Definition.

Post by Abby Brooks »

ImageImage
Testing The Waters|Multi G1 AWM/AWR winner|40k
Dont make pee jokes, or you'll be barked at in the super secret sim discord where grown adults whine about one another
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Pete Vella wrote: 3 years ago Did it really take us until 24 hours before festivus to get a thread going like this?
:lol:

Sorry Pete!

Just checking to see if everyone is still "dialed in?"
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Michael, I’m not going to argue with you from a SIM viewpoint. A fake pony who takes on all the best and wins is a true champion.

However, I will argue all day long that you’re wrong about real life horses, especially mares. Horses like Winx, Black Caviar and Zenyatta won a heap of races and a butt tonne of money and retired sound, sane and celebrated. Unless you’ve actually trained a real life race mare you can’t understand how much of an achievement that is. Managing them physically and mentally to reach a targeted race is complex. They can bolt on the work rider, kick a wall and dislodge a shoe then stand on the nail, step on a stone, get cast, colic, bump a tendon playing in their box because they are half insane when fully primed to race, get kicked behind the gate by another runner etc etc ad infinitum. If I had a mare like them, I’d sit on my pile of money with my sound and happy mare and laugh at all the people calling me a coward.

My definition of a great sim trainer is one who maximises the earnings of their runners but also isn’t afraid to throw a good horse in the deep end.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | Leased Out Y66
Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Pete Vella wrote: 3 years ago Did it really take us until 24 hours before festivus to get a thread going like this?
Right?! :lol:
AT STUD
Michael Looker
Classic Contender

Post by Michael Looker »

Nathan Klein wrote: 3 years ago
Michael Looker wrote: 3 years ago Contrary opinions not welcome; I'm right.
I really hope you're not serious about that part because thats just kind of childish if it is serious.
I couldn't be less serious if I tried. It's a play on the last line of the OP.
We did have Dylan swearing at people the other day. But a proper thread like this is well overdue.
Michael Looker
Classic Contender

Post by Michael Looker »

Cleo Patra wrote: 3 years ago Horses like Winx, Black Caviar and Zenyatta won a heap of races and a butt tonne of money and retired sound, sane and celebrated.
Black Caviar took on the best of the best in both hemispheres and couldn't be beaten.
Winx invited all-comers to take her on in some of the richest races in the world, at all sorts of distances. Most refused, the others were vanquished.

Pepper's Pride ran in NM-bred stakes (there are what, 12 foals bred there per year?).
Zenyatta hid away on the left side of the Rockies, beating up claimers on plastic tracks. The one time her connections showed any sort of courage she was beaten by Blame. Maybe she was past her best. Maybe a couple of years earlier she would've beaten anyone who showed up. But her connections obviously didn't think so, or they would've had a go.

(My tongue is firmly in my cheek. And I absolutely respect how hard it is to keep mares sane; they're female after all.)
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Zenyatta definitely beat more than claimers lol. And she won the BC Classic in ‘09 which had Grade 1 winners Gio Ponti and Game On Dude that I can think of off the top of my head. I agree she could have been campaigned a little bit more bravely but she still achieved a lot and deserves her HOF spot.

That being said, Rachel Alexandra’s ‘09 campaign was much better than any of Zenyatta’s campaigns but then again, RA’s 3yo campaign was so insanely good that I can’t see any filly or mare ever marching her for that year.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

As for the training discussion, like Cleo says, if you can manage to get the most out of a good horse by not putting it in over its head, you’re doing well. But at the same time hiding and ducking with a freaky horse is always disappointing to watch from other people’s point of view, and you don’t know how much you could have achieved if you stayed in your comfort zone. For example, what if Owl Let You Know never faced off against the boys because she’s a filly and it’s harder for them? You have to take your chances with the really good ones.
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Lily Wilkins wrote: 3 years ago Image
My celebrity crush
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Cleo Patra wrote: 3 years ago Michael, I’m not going to argue with you from a SIM viewpoint. A fake pony who takes on all the best and wins is a true champion.

However, I will argue all day long that you’re wrong about real life horses, especially mares. Horses like Winx, Black Caviar and Zenyatta won a heap of races and a butt tonne of money and retired sound, sane and celebrated. Unless you’ve actually trained a real life race mare you can’t understand how much of an achievement that is. Managing them physically and mentally to reach a targeted race is complex. They can bolt on the work rider, kick a wall and dislodge a shoe then stand on the nail, step on a stone, get cast, colic, bump a tendon playing in their box because they are half insane when fully primed to race, get kicked behind the gate by another runner etc etc ad infinitum. If I had a mare like them, I’d sit on my pile of money with my sound and happy mare and laugh at all the people calling me a coward.

My definition of a great sim trainer is one who maximises the earnings of their runners but also isn’t afraid to throw a good horse in the deep end.
Brava! Very well said!

And Michael...thank you for volunteering to be our target while we wait out the hours to Festivus.
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

Placing your horse where it has the best chance of winning!
I agree with this is a basic statement for both SIM and real life.

Of course, there's all sorts of ifs, ands, or buts, as others have pointed out. Including that, obviously, one wouldn't put a nice horse in a claiming race just because it would likely win.
Michael Looker
Classic Contender

Post by Michael Looker »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 3 years ago And Michael...thank you for volunteering to be our target while we wait out the hours to Festivus.
Anytime, Nick. Glad I could help.

Though I must say I'm disappointed I haven't gotten more of a reaction to the last line of my last post. I thought we'd be on Page 4 by now. Maybe I just got eyerolls instead of indignation, which to be fair is probably the right response.
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Michael Looker wrote: 3 years ago(My tongue is firmly in my cheek. And I absolutely respect how hard it is to keep mares sane; they're female after all.)
I’m going to be a traitor to my gender and 100% agree. That could be because every horse I have in work right now in my real life stable is a mare. One of them is a redhead. Haaalp :lol:
AT STUD
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

One of the best aspects of the game is just about everybody plays it differently. Some folks like to race alot, others prefer only racing high end horses and don't fool with claimers anymore. Some like Dirt, some Turf or AW or even mixers. I am honored to be nominated but most importantly I enjoyed playing the game this season and am already looking forwards to the next one. The game is my "Escape" from the real world and I love it!