Barrier Trials

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Re: Barrier Trials

Post by The Steward »

Barrier Trials can't hurt confidence. The point is to get fit with no downside.

How can a horse finish last in the SC Juvenile when it is a freak? Because it's a race, not a workout. If every horse ran a :57 flat in a race they would all get 100s and it would be a 5+ way photo finish. This was a race, not a workout. Does that make sense?
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

The few horses I tried did great 🤷‍♀️

6: 3-1-1 Win-50.0% OTB-83.3%

I ran them so they would have full confidence and be 100% fully fit for when they race, which happens if they win or not 🤷‍♀️
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

Placement doesn't matter in these things... It's all about gaining confidence, fitness, and experience regardless of placement. All the best things about winning a race without caring about where they actually run!!
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

It doesn’t make sense to me. Why is my freak finishing last by 10 lengths and running close to 3 seconds slower than what it runs in the morning? Or why is my other freak finishing behind what looks like a productive turf miler at best, in what is technically a turf router barrier trial? Using the example of races like the Juvenile is misleading imo, because freaky horses are finishing behind mediocre ones, and from what I’ve seen it’s a pretty common thing. That’s not exactly something that’s common in real races, sure it happens but not very often.

I appreciate the fitness and experience benefits, but I will stand by the fact that barrier trials tell you nothing about a horse’s true ability. That’s why we might as well do away with it being run like a race, pretend that horses are running against each other in a barrier trial and make it a training option like swimming your horse or galloping it.
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

If this is a race, and it's supposed to be indicative of ability, I'm in big trouble!
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Post by Lisa Bennert »

For some reason I thought we would get Speed figures, though I'm not sure how my brain came up with that, lol.

I was also very confused by the times at first, but I suppose we still have to figure out how times and Performance in barrier Trials will relate to Performance on actual race day? We know fast Workouts don't have to translate into a fast racehorse, but this is run like a race, so.. it should be very closely related? I didn't have any good horse finishing so badly so I thought my few results "madee sense". I don't know.

If anything results today made me more curious and I'll have some more entries this year before deciding how to use them for future Training. Right now I think their greatest use is to get older improvers etc fit and more confident again :)
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Does running last boost your horse's confidence?

Also, my 5f turf barrier I entered was won by a turf sprinter.
Last edited by Nena Olson 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Ignore the times. There’s zero indication in the results I saw today that the barrier trials are indicative of any actual ability a horse has. The issues isn’t that I didn’t win, but if a freak who looks to be one of the best of their generation finishes 6th over a dozen lengths behind what looks to be an allowance type in a training race, then there’s just something I’m missing.
George Knatz
Miler

Post by George Knatz »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago Can't wait to see some of those 100 speed figure babies in Barrier Trials over 5 furlongs this week!
That’s why I thought we would have SF
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

I thought we were promised SF too
;p
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Nena Olson wrote: 3 years ago Does running last boost your horse's confidence?
Yep!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Post by Lisa Bennert »

Ah, that post About "100 Speed figure babies" is probably why my brain made that Connection About getting Speed figures in barrier trials, though that was clearly not indicated, reading it now :)

I just looked at the other results and found some of the Trials people were Talking About, and yeah.. I can't really come up with an explanaition for that, that does seem Kind of strange. I guess using it like a Training feature to get confidence/ fitness etc is the best use for them. Still very welcomed by me especially for my older improvers!
Te Akau Downs
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Te Akau Downs »

i was happy with my stakes TM 2yo trial, i use them for fitness in babies and confidence in my horses than have run a couple of ordinary runs
PATIENCE is the cheapest thing in racing and least used.. J.B Cummings..
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

I think until this is fixed, I’ll save my GPs and do things the old way.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

It’s actually pretty realistic for very good horses to not run great time or even win trials

This explains it: https://youtu.be/Keu91BiBlYI
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)