Barrier Trials

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Re: Barrier Trials

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Cleo Patra wrote: 3 years ago It’s actually pretty realistic for very good horses to not run great time or even win trials

This explains it: https://youtu.be/Keu91BiBlYI
That’s all fine and good, but if part of the appeal was to get a solid idea of how our horses compare to the others and the comparison does not appear to stack up clearly, doesn’t feel like it’s worth the 500gp for me
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Yeah, feel like we were lied to a bit...we were told that this would be a way to judge how our horses stack up against each other but it seems like that is very much not the case after seeing times and finishing positions.
yeah
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Sara Julin »

To me I had great results. sure, the horses were slow compared to a fast workout...
But win 62,5% and otb 87,5%. It's better than my normal stats xD so for me this was a booster as a player xD and not only for the horses LOL
Portrait Artist of the Sim~
Standing Stallions, Crayon, Illegalist
Stallions Soon To Come, n/a
A horse gallops with it's lungs, perseveres with it's heart and wins with it's character~
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't really see the problem. You pay 500 GPs in exchange for vastly increased fitness plus a confidence and experience boost that would take weeks to attain through regular training. Who cares what the result is if there aren't money or points at stake? 🤷‍♀️
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Laura Smith wrote: 3 years ago Maybe I'm missing something but I don't really see the problem. You pay 500 GPs in exchange for vastly increased fitness plus a confidence and experience boost that would take weeks to attain through regular training. Who cares what the result is if there aren't money or points at stake? 🤷‍♀️
The problem is the way it was advertised, this is a paid service and many of us feel like it did not come out as what we were led to believe it would. Not everyone can just throw GPs at anything and be good. They're pretty scarce for some people
yeah
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

I think I'm just going to use barrier trials as a way to try and reinvigorate older horses. Not sure I get enough information from the 2 YOs to justify paying GPs for the extra confidence and experience.

Constructive Criticism:

I really like the concept for Barrier Trials and want it to be a thing but it feels like it would work better as a training option in our own barns.

It would make more sense if the times and/or SFs lined up with work or race figures. Otherwise there's no comparison for the data points.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

George Knatz wrote: 3 years ago
The Steward wrote: 3 years ago Can't wait to see some of those 100 speed figure babies in Barrier Trials over 5 furlongs this week!
That’s why I thought we would have SF
Sorry, I shouldn't have said that. I just couldn't say "million dollar babies" since that's not always accurate. I'll stick with "really fast horses" from now on!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Cleo Patra wrote: 3 years ago It’s actually pretty realistic for very good horses to not run great time or even win trials

Actually that explains nothing.
Randell Johnson
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Randell Johnson »

I raced two, Cat Ballou was one, and she is a Freak Late Bloomer Standard Trotter. Her time was what I would expect, it would come out as a 95, and that is great! The second horse with decent workout times, ran almost 3 lengths back, and ran a slower time, because it's a race, and being against other horses then you won't always run your fastest!

Thanks for Making these Steward!
I loved watching the Races!
Gunite - https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1785312
DM/DS & Steeplechaser - RL Steward Created, A's & A+'s

Chase Elliott - https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1241172
Stewards Cup, Saudi, Pegasus Winner
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

I actually loved seeing how my babies did today! I was pleasantly surprised by most of my results... Even if it's not meant to be indicative of how they'll do in races, it gave me hope that I have some actual runners in my stable.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

So my turf router freak ran at 5f and placed 3rd. The winner was a turf sprinter. I assume, if a sprinter enters any of these races, they will come out ahead of the others because they naturally prefer the short sprint distances compared to, lets say, a horse that will run 10f since they probably wouldn't do well in a 5f sprint race anyway.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Danny Derby wrote: 3 years ago

That’s Winx. Throughout her career she never won a barrier trial. Literally the best horse in the world by several metrics. It never knocked her confidence. It did get her fit to win first up in graded races and give her more conditioning than working out on her own. That video shows what most Australian trainers and jockeys expect from a trial. The only time I’d push a horse in a trial would be an unraced baby about to start racing.

The real proof of how good or not good barrier trials are will come when the milers and routers start racing I suppose.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Cleo Patra wrote: 3 years ago
Danny Derby wrote: 3 years ago

That’s Winx. Throughout her career she never won a barrier trial. Literally the best horse in the world by several metrics. It never knocked her confidence. It did get her fit to win first up in graded races and give her more conditioning than working out on her own. That video shows what most Australian trainers and jockeys expect from a trial. The only time I’d push a horse in a trial would be an unraced baby about to start racing.

The real proof of how good or not good barrier trials are will come when the milers and routers start racing I suppose.
Once again, this explains absolutely nothing regarding game mechanics.
Dom Behan
Turf Router

Post by Dom Behan »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago
Ronnie Dee wrote: 3 years ago After a Barrier Trial race is completed, can one ask the jockey about the equipment (is it correct) as after a regular race?
No because it doesn't count as a "start" it counts as a workout.

I must have missed an update somewhere, all my trials had "Ask the Jockey" :? :?
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

And why were the results changed? Did the wrong horses win?