Steward Breds

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Veritas Stables
Two Year Old

Steward Breds

Post by Veritas Stables »

The subject seems to be controversial based on old forum posts, so we'll see how this question goes over. I saw in an earlier post the Steward said "NOTHING MAGICAL HAPPENS BECAUSE I PRESS THE BUTTON VS YOU PRESS THE BUTTON. I just know very specifically what I'm doing.". I interpreted that as the Steward just know which Mares pair best with which Stallions, but there is still the same randomness when she breeds as we would see when we breed. In other words, there is no manipulation or screening out undesirable results. Is this accurate? Looking at some broodmare stats, it seems like this cannot be the case. There seems to be a significant decline in performance when a Player breeds that same Mare, even with the same Sire. This may already be super obvious, but was curious if this has been discussed and answered already.

Still trying to find my way in this SIM and learning how to breed. It seems like a key predictor component in analyzing lineage would be performance of progeny. However, I'm wondering if I should throw out (or at least significantly discount) any Stewart Breds from the Progeny stats since there are/were different rules that were applied? Certainly a good sign that the Steward was willing to breed that Mare, but past performance does not guaranteed future performance seems to apply 10X with Steward Breds. Also, similarly a lightly bred Stallion can have hugely inflated stats based on 1 or 2 SBs. Would love the thoughts of the more experienced players.

Cheers!
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Re: Steward Breds

Post by The Steward »

Basically since I can see how good a horse is, I only buy really, really good ones. So if I ever offer to buy your mare, you should say no. And then sometimes if they don't pan out, I kick them back out of the barn.

For me it all starts with the mare. Nothing that comes in is going to be a bad mare, in theory. And then sometimes when I sell mares to others after I'm annoyed at them, they go on to do great things, and that makes me more annoyed at them!!!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Veritas Stables
Two Year Old

Post by Veritas Stables »

Well I guess I can't argue if it's coming straight from the horse's mouth (sorry, couldn't help myself :oops: ). Though I might remain a tad bit skeptical. Thanks for answering my question!

I'm looking forward to the day I can say "no" when you offer to buy one of my Mares. :D

Cheers!
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Veritas Stables wrote: 3 years ago Well I guess I can't argue if it's coming straight from the horse's mouth (sorry, couldn't help myself :oops: ). Though I might remain a tad bit skeptical. Thanks for answering my question!

I'm looking forward to the day I can say "no" when you offer to buy one of my Mares. :D

Cheers!
In good/bad news, I'm not buying any more mares and Steward-breds are on their way out. Sad day for me!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago
Veritas Stables wrote: 3 years ago Well I guess I can't argue if it's coming straight from the horse's mouth (sorry, couldn't help myself :oops: ). Though I might remain a tad bit skeptical. Thanks for answering my question!

Cheers!
In good/bad news, I'm not buying any more mares and Steward-breds are on their way out. Sad day for me!
Wait so you don't want Spe Chan next year? Oh well!
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Piggy backing off of this why are steward breds always peak when 75% of player bred horses are Late Bloomers, even with similar lines bred.
yeah
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Danny Derby wrote: 3 years ago

Cheers!
Wait so you don't want Spe Chan next year? Oh well!
I mean sure, but I've turned down a LOT of good horses of late!
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 3 years ago Piggy backing off of this why are steward breds always peak when 75% of player bred horses are Late Bloomers, even with similar lines bred.
1. They aren't always peak. Several horses in the last 2 auctions weren't.
2. It's supposed to be more like 35%, 35%, and 40% for the crop, so I'm going to say 75% is probably an exaggeration for the entire population of all horses.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

When you say for the crop, is that the whole crop of SIM foals or just the SB crop of foals?
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 3 years ago Piggy backing off of this why are steward breds always peak when 75% of player bred horses are Late Bloomers, even with similar lines bred.
1. They aren't always peak. Several horses in the last 2 auctions weren't.
2. It's supposed to be more like 35%, 35%, and 40% for the crop, so I'm going to say 75% is probably an exaggeration for the entire population of all horses.
Yeah I think 75% is a bit much but it's still above 50% for my training barn as well as others I've talked to. I've also actually dug around and asked people a lot about their Steward Bred improve comments and have only heard of a few late bloomers so I think it's safe to say there's still a pretty large difference. Just curious why that is, are Steward breds just hard coded to peak earlier so as not to make buyers upset?
yeah
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

I have never received anything other than peak Stewy. I check every time and I have a lot.
Is it broken?? Never heard of a non peak stewardbred. Since peak/progressive/Bloomer was introduced everyone I ever asked said their stewy was peak.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

To get back to the original question even if the steward doesn't have magical button pushing abilities it does not change the fact that particularly in some divisions stewardbreds are very dominant so I do think it is something you should take into consideration when judging a mare or particularly a stallions' performance. Even her simply having the best mares means that stallion will be more likely to succeed with her "best" mares than yours. It is not uncommon to notice a big difference between a sire's stewardbred offspring and playerbred ones. I think stats like the newly unveiled median progeny earnings in the studbook will help with this as those outliers won't have as big an influence as they do on the average progeny earnings.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Kenneth Prater
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kenneth Prater »

Steward Breds are a terrible investment from my perspective but I keep buying them. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Tammy Stawicki wrote: 3 years ago To get back to the original question even if the steward doesn't have magical button pushing abilities it does not change the fact that particularly in some divisions stewardbreds are very dominant so I do think it is something you should take into consideration when judging a mare or particularly a stallions' performance. Even her simply having the best mares means that stallion will be more likely to succeed with her "best" mares than yours. It is not uncommon to notice a big difference between a sire's stewardbred offspring and playerbred ones. I think stats like the newly unveiled median progeny earnings in the studbook will help with this as those outliers won't have as big an influence as they do on the average progeny earnings.
Plus, once Steward-breds are gone, stallion's stats will be "normal" with no other influence. So we've thought about doing special Non Steward-bred rankings, etc, but in a few years it wont matter and that sounds like time we could be working on other things!
Dusty Klatt
Classic Contender

Post by Dusty Klatt »

I have a stew bred late bloomer ( Schmancy )

Will say is only allowance so i don't know if that is the reason