Studbook Idea: BSA Comment Percentages

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jack Christensen
Derby Contender

Studbook Idea: BSA Comment Percentages

Post by Jack Christensen »

This just kind of popped into my head, and I'm not sure if it is possible, but I was wondering if we could have BSA comment percentages in the Studbook, to get a sense of how good of a broodmare sire that particular stud is. We have gallop percentages and numbers, I'd like to be able to see that out of a studs 120 retired daughters that became broodmares, 9% of them were blue hens and 12% were Star Mares, and so forth. Maybe it is too difficult, but I think it sounds fun and gives us more to use in deciding which stud to breed to. Reply to this post to tell me what you think.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Re: Studbook Idea: BSA Comment Percentages

Post by Carole Hanson »

I like it! Having broodmare sire stats show up on the sire's page would also be nice (rather than only show up in the rankings) but this would be a good start.
Jack Christensen
Derby Contender

Thanks Carole.
Anthony L Carder
Miler

Post by Anthony L Carder »

I personally love the idea John!
000 ALC Ranch~conveniently located next to Cimarron Park~

Haven's Cab-Appy Sprinter-$5,000
Alc Shark On Fire-TB DS-$12,500
Te Akau Downs
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Te Akau Downs »

i like the idea
PATIENCE is the cheapest thing in racing and least used.. J.B Cummings..
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

This is a great idea, but can it be abused to avoid the report fee? People gallop all their foals because it's free but a fair number of people don't buy broodmare reports for every mare. If the sires stats update immediately after a mare is retired then a player could (in theory) compare the before and after stats. If it only runs off the stats of mares that have paid reports then its incomplete and there could be a selection bias based on the owners who pay vs. not paying (wealthy players have more money to spend on BSA reports and also on higher-quality mares which would skew results).

I'd _love_ "free" mare BSA reports, but I don't think that's the intention with this request.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

The intention is to give us yet another tool to help but not show us everything. If you're not a good enough trainer to pull from multiple sources before deciding on the quality of a horse you're not going to go far in this game.
yeah
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Gwen Morse wrote: 3 years ago This is a great idea, but can it be abused to avoid the report fee? People gallop all their foals because it's free but a fair number of people don't buy broodmare reports for every mare. If the sires stats update immediately after a mare is retired then a player could (in theory) compare the before and after stats. If it only runs off the stats of mares that have paid reports then its incomplete and there could be a selection bias based on the owners who pay vs. not paying (wealthy players have more money to spend on BSA reports and also on higher-quality mares which would skew results).

I'd _love_ "free" mare BSA reports, but I don't think that's the intention with this request.
I think it would have to work only after the mare was actually blood stocked agented similar to how current gallop comments work. It admittedly could cause issues depending on what percent of mares are BSA'd but I think it would still give some info that was better than nothing.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Jack Christensen
Derby Contender

Gwen Morse wrote: 3 years ago This is a great idea, but can it be abused to avoid the report fee? People gallop all their foals because it's free but a fair number of people don't buy broodmare reports for every mare. If the sires stats update immediately after a mare is retired then a player could (in theory) compare the before and after stats. If it only runs off the stats of mares that have paid reports then its incomplete and there could be a selection bias based on the owners who pay vs. not paying (wealthy players have more money to spend on BSA reports and also on higher-quality mares which would skew results).

Thanks for the response Gwen. I don't think it gives free BSA comments at all. It may help a player get a general idea as to how good his/her mare will be, that isn't giving a free BSA comment. And more information just becomes another incentive to buy SIMperior. And I don't think the results will be too skewed. According to your opinion, It might be a couple percentage points better than it actually is, but it still adds information. And it will most likely, if it happens, will be displayed the same way gallops are. With the number of horses commented on, people will get an idea about the pool of data they are looking at, so if you're smart, you take all of that into account. No one looks at gallops and says "I'm breeding to this stud because it's 50% allowance out of 2 foals." I don't think it can abused either. Same thing could happen to gallops, in the way you're saying. If a stud is owned by a huge player, and supports the stud with high quality mares, then the gallop percentages are higher than how good the stud actually is. More information, in my opinion, is just better, regardless of the slight possibility it could be a little bit inaccurate in some cases.
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 3 years ago The intention is to give us yet another tool to help but not show us everything. If you're not a good enough trainer to pull from multiple sources before deciding on the quality of a horse you're not going to go far in this game.
Didn't you just threaten to quit because your horses weren't good enough?
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Katie Stepanian »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 3 years ago The intention is to give us yet another tool to help but not show us everything. If you're not a good enough trainer to pull from multiple sources before deciding on the quality of a horse you're not going to go far in this game.
How is your last sentence relevant to what Gwen said about the idea?
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

What’s this thread about?
;p
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I think Dylan was more responding to the suggestion that if you pay to play, you win. And that if you don't, you are somehow handicapped. As for quitting the game, who hasn't had a day where they feel like doing that? Some people just happen to have to vent those thoughts out in order to make themselves feel better.

For the actual thread topic, I'll re-iterate. I like this idea, and I think seeing any kind of broodmare stats in the stud book would be a good first step forward.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

One could say adding BM stats to studbook would encourage stud owners to BSA more.
;p
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Jack Christensen wrote: 3 years ago

Thanks for the response Gwen. I don't think it gives free BSA comments at all. It may help a player get a general idea as to how good his/her mare will be, that isn't giving a free BSA comment. And more information just becomes another incentive to buy SIMperior. And I don't think the results will be too skewed. According to your opinion, It might be a couple percentage points better than it actually is, but it still adds information. And it will most likely, if it happens, will be displayed the same way gallops are. With the number of horses commented on, people will get an idea about the pool of data they are looking at, so if you're smart, you take all of that into account. No one looks at gallops and says "I'm breeding to this stud because it's 50% allowance out of 2 foals." I don't think it can abused either. Same thing could happen to gallops, in the way you're saying. If a stud is owned by a huge player, and supports the stud with high quality mares, then the gallop percentages are higher than how good the stud actually is. More information, in my opinion, is just better, regardless of the slight possibility it could be a little bit inaccurate in some cases.
Inaccurate information is never good.