Studbook Idea: BSA Comment Percentages

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Re: Studbook Idea: BSA Comment Percentages

Post by Laura Smith »

If we're talking about the studbook stats of our dreams, I'd much, much rather have a CI.
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/scot/arc ... 20stallion

[ETA: a pared-down sim version. Something to represent the relative quality of mares that the stallion has seen, whether it be by their produce record (as the real CI does) - the average or median quality of their offspring by other stallions, or by referencing their actual broodmare ability.
This would help us find (and utilize) those diamonds in the rough that are punching above their weight, so to speak.]

Sorry for the hijack. Carry on.
Last edited by Laura Smith 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

And I thought studs were always measured by the size of there....

Crop?
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Jack Christensen
Derby Contender

Post by Jack Christensen »

Dave Trainer wrote: 3 years ago
Jack Christensen wrote: 3 years ago
Gwen Morse wrote: 3 years ago This is a great idea, but can it be abused to avoid the report fee? People gallop all their foals because it's free but a fair number of people don't buy broodmare reports for every mare. If the sires stats update immediately after a mare is retired then a player could (in theory) compare the before and after stats. If it only runs off the stats of mares that have paid reports then its incomplete and there could be a selection bias based on the owners who pay vs. not paying (wealthy players have more money to spend on BSA reports and also on higher-quality mares which would skew results).

I'd _love_ "free" mare BSA reports, but I don't think that's the intention with this request.
Thanks for the response Gwen. I don't think it gives free BSA comments at all. It may help a player get a general idea as to how good his/her mare will be, that isn't giving a free BSA comment. And more information just becomes another incentive to buy SIMperior. And I don't think the results will be too skewed. According to your opinion, It might be a couple percentage points better than it actually is, but it still adds information. And it will most likely, if it happens, will be displayed the same way gallops are. With the number of horses commented on, people will get an idea about the pool of data they are looking at, so if you're smart, you take all of that into account. No one looks at gallops and says "I'm breeding to this stud because it's 50% allowance out of 2 foals." I don't think it can abused either. Same thing could happen to gallops, in the way you're saying. If a stud is owned by a huge player, and supports the stud with high quality mares, then the gallop percentages are higher than how good the stud actually is. More information, in my opinion, is just better, regardless of the slight possibility it could be a little bit inaccurate in some cases.
Inaccurate information is never good.
I disagree. You would forfeit mostly helpful data because a small amount of it could seem slightly higher than it is?
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

I’d prefer to have dam sire gallops. Like I know my boys have several grandkids who are freaks but it would be nice to have a solid count.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Carole Hanson wrote: 3 years ago I think Dylan was more responding to the suggestion that if you pay to play, you win. And that if you don't, you are somehow handicapped.

For the actual thread topic, I'll re-iterate. I like this idea, and I think seeing any kind of broodmare stats in the stud book would be a good first step forward.
Carole,

This is at least the second time you've grossly misinterpreted what I've said. I did _not_ say (or imply in any way) that the game is pay to win, or that people who don't pay real money are disadvantaged in some way.

I like the original idea and I said that. I have a question (which mares would be tracked) and concerns about the two possible answers. All (non-insulting) discussion is supposed to be welcome on the forums.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Rebecca Rose Hepburn wrote: 3 years ago
Dylan Christensen wrote: 3 years ago The intention is to give us yet another tool to help but not show us everything. If you're not a good enough trainer to pull from multiple sources before deciding on the quality of a horse you're not going to go far in this game.
Didn't you just threaten to quit because your horses weren't good enough?
Yes that was 100% serious, my horses are utter trash 🙄
yeah
Jack Christensen
Derby Contender

Dylan Christensen wrote: 3 years ago
Rebecca Rose Hepburn wrote: 3 years ago
Dylan Christensen wrote: 3 years ago The intention is to give us yet another tool to help but not show us everything. If you're not a good enough trainer to pull from multiple sources before deciding on the quality of a horse you're not going to go far in this game.
Didn't you just threaten to quit because your horses weren't good enough?
Yes that was 100% serious, my horses are utter trash 🙄
Yes, Dylan's horses are absolute garbage, and that's why he threatened to quit. He was very serious when he said this.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Thanks for the response Gwen. I don't think it gives free BSA comments at all. It may help a player get a general idea as to how good his/her mare will be, that isn't giving a free BSA comment. And more information just becomes another incentive to buy SIMperior. And I don't think the results will be too skewed. According to your opinion, It might be a couple percentage points better than it actually is, but it still adds information. And it will most likely, if it happens, will be displayed the same way gallops are. With the number of horses commented on, people will get an idea about the pool of data they are looking at, so if you're smart, you take all of that into account. No one looks at gallops and says "I'm breeding to this stud because it's 50% allowance out of 2 foals." I don't think it can abused either. Same thing could happen to gallops, in the way you're saying. If a stud is owned by a huge player, and supports the stud with high quality mares, then the gallop percentages are higher than how good the stud actually is. More information, in my opinion, is just better, regardless of the slight possibility it could be a little bit inaccurate in some cases.
I disagree. You would forfeit mostly helpful data because a small amount of it could seem slightly higher than it is?
How would you know which data was inaccurate? You don't know which mares have been BSA'd other than your own. Some players don't BSA and go by hypos. A stud could have 100 hens not BSA'd or none
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

How would you know which data was inaccurate? You don't know which mares have been BSA'd other than your own. Some players don't BSA and go by hypos. A stud could have 100 hens not BSA'd or none
It's just another piece of information that you would in no way be required to used, just like gallops it can be misleading because horses drop gallops or jump gallops an are/aren't regalloped greatly skewing numbers. Some sires produce very fast stakes and even allowance gallopers while others produce freaks that could hardly beat those other stakes. It's just another piece of information that could technically be gathered by just posting on the forum but then you'd have much worse results which you are suggesting would be the issue.

I'm not saying I love the idea overall or that I would personally use it a whole lot just saying I don't understand your argument whatsoever.
yeah
Jack Christensen
Derby Contender

It is somewhat possible you wouldn't know what was innacurate. But its the same with gallops. If a player with all star and hen mares breeds them to a stud they own, the gallop percentages will always be a little high. You might have to deal with it. And no one is forcing you to use it either, but I think many other people may find it useful. And I don't think it should be left out because some people won't use it.