Late Bloomer Questions

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Late Bloomer Questions

Post by Lily Wilkins »

So, is it smart to just sit on a late bloomer until they hit "Peak" and not try racing them beforehand? I have a couple two year old routers who are late-blooming stakes, and I am trying to figure out how I should manage them if their gallops don't change during Week 9. I have a couple clarifying questions:

1. Can a "Late Bloomer" experience a gallop improvement in their debut race? I have always assumed the Late Bloomers would improve with time, not experience, whereas "Progressive" horses would be who we would see jump up in their debut, but I would hate to be wrong about that.

2. If these horses are still Late Bloomers at Week 9, do I go ahead and race them even though they won't be at their top form? I guess if the answer to question one is yes, then this one is a no-brainer

Neither of these fillies have very brilliant workout times at their current gallop status (though one did win her Barrier Trial by 3 lengths) so I am hesitant to enter them in races because I know they likely won't do well. One of the fillies in question is Malicious Mischief, the pride and joy of my barn, and I want to make sure I handle them correctly. I guess if one or both of them get their act together and peak out Week 9, this won't matter.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | Leased Out Y66
Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Re: Late Bloomer Questions

Post by Carole Hanson »

Race late bloomers either way I say, what’s the point of sitting on them when they could be winning you races and money, especially as they are stakes.

As for whether they can improve after their first start? As I understand it, yes they can. Even an ‘At Peak’ horse can improve gallops at the changeover or after one race.
David Faulkner
Grade 3 Winner

Post by David Faulkner »

on LB she was LB allowance before week 9 at 2 years of age in week 9 jump from allownace lb to Stakes progressive, and now at age 4 she is Stakes peak, I don't know if her change was the week 1 of this year 56, or occurred in week 9 of year 55

she jumped from allownace lb to Stakes progressive before her debut

In Your Eyes
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1113419
David Faulkner
Grade 3 Winner

Post by David Faulkner »

Carole Hanson wrote: 3 years ago Race late bloomers either way I say, what’s the point of sitting on them when they could be winning you races and money, especially as they are stakes.

As for whether they can improve after their first start? As I understand it, yes they can. Even an ‘At Peak’ horse can improve gallops at the changeover or after one race.
I'm glad to know that you can improve your gallop at peak level

I thought they could not improve any more after reaching peak level
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I race mine. I never saw the point of side lining a horse until it's 3 or even 4 years old. :P

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

My experience is most LB's don't improve that much (even if the gallop improves). Many you can't even tell a difference from the previous races. That said I tend to hold them back for a few weeks but not forever. The exception might be one where the workouts really stink. I'll wait longer to race those.
David Faulkner
Grade 3 Winner

Post by David Faulkner »

I have some claimer and solid, and maybe 1 or 2 productive LB I think that they look for the correct pieces of equipment, and you will keep them galloping so that they are in shape they can jump to a better level, and from there run them

since I would only place it on an empty field so that I could take experience, and win 5th place in the competition, only that would make them work for me.
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

I think there's probably not a 1 size fits all answer to this.

So far I am letting the races determine what I do. I will give them two starts, if they are competitive then I keep racing them, if they are not I move them to a custom barn to wait. With routers you also have distance to consider. Even before we knew the gallop percocity there were some routers I would hold back because they wanted longer. There's also the fact that 2 and 3 year old restricted races (especially in the claming circuit) are often easier so waiting wouldn't improve your horses chances of making more money.

My best suggestion is to develop individual racing plans for every horse and wait or don't as appropriate for their plan.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Oh man, good point about the distance preferences. I tend to forget that's a thing too. Both fillies will probably want longer than 1 1/16. I guess I could try them each in a Maiden Week 10, and if they stink I can just give them some space until next season.
Thanks for the advice guys :) I appreciate it!
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | Leased Out Y66
Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Jennifer Blake
Classic Contender

Post by Jennifer Blake »

I have two examples of stakes late bloomers:

Gotsta Go Away raced as a two year old stakes Late bloomer that performed amazingly

Laci Was a stakes late bloomer that races like a Claimer. Now as a stakes peak she needs some confidence back. 🧐
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

I'm of two minds. I have several LB who have done very well (Me in Black, as of Y55w2 was still a late bloomer, this after winning the SC Bunburnette as a 2 YO) and a few that have done decently as stakes winners who were listed as LB, but at 4 YO have jumped to freaks.

I also have several LB allowance or better who are bombing on the track. I've decided to give these a break and see if time improves them.

I'm thrilled I didn't sit back and wait for Me in Black to develop. I think my approach at this time is to race them a bit (maybe into early 3 YO season) and then re-evaluate each horse. Maybe, race your two to see are they high level stakes horses looking to continue competing at top level as you wait for their bump, or are they struggling, wanting a bit of age.
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

Progressives I'll start at the end of their 2yo year (week 15/16), late bloomers I wait until 3 or until races get to their appropriate distance - I have a lot that prefer long routes
I'm just here for the fun of it