Turf Milers at 7 1/2 Furlongs

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Paul Sellers
Eclipse Champion

Turf Milers at 7 1/2 Furlongs

Post by Paul Sellers »

Has anyone ever had success having a turf miler drop to 7.5 panels in the SIM or is this idea just a fool's errand?

Any experience or SIM inside information would be appreciated.

Paul
"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse."

-- John Galsworthy
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Re: Turf Milers at 7 1/2 Furlongs

Post by Laura Smith »

I don't think it's a fool's errand... I think it's something cool to aim for :) Though TM has been specifically selected for for a long time and generally diverged from sprinters long ago, some of the older lines do have some sprinty tendencies from way back, and if combined with some of the recent multi distance sires, I think it could totally be a thing again.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Paul Sellers
Eclipse Champion

Post by Paul Sellers »

I just didn't know how much that half furlong mattered.

Obviously with TS or TR, an extra sixteenth *can* matter, but typically the difference between a horse doing 5.5 and 6 or 1 3/16 and 1 1/4 isn't going to be THAT different, but it *seems* to with Turf Milers.

I really appreciate your quick feedback Laura, and I'd appreciate any other insight people might have.
"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse."

-- John Galsworthy
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

I've tried that and 7 a few times. Hasn't worked. I think there is a "mile" setting that they need to overcome. Once they overcome that they become multi distance and then at that point 7.5, 7, even the shorter sprints are all fair game.

Not sure if I explained that well. Sorry.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Andrew James wrote: 3 years ago I've tried that and 7 a few times. Hasn't worked. I think there is a "mile" setting that they need to overcome. Once they overcome that they become multi distance and then at that point 7.5, 7, even the shorter sprints are all fair game.

Yep. As I understand it, a mile is its own category, and 7-7.5 is another. We've selected so heavily for specific distance categories that that eighth half-furlong makes a bigger difference than one might think.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Laura Smith wrote: 3 years ago
Andrew James wrote: 3 years ago I've tried that and 7 a few times. Hasn't worked. I think there is a "mile" setting that they need to overcome. Once they overcome that they become multi distance and then at that point 7.5, 7, even the shorter sprints are all fair game.

Yep. As I understand it, a mile is its own category, and 7-7.5 is another. We've selected so heavily for specific distance categories that that eighth half-furlong makes a bigger difference than one might think.
Yep exactly what I was getting at. Have to break the category line, the fact that 7.5 is almost a mile doesn't really matter unless your horse can run sprint races. I could be totally wrong on that.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Paul Sellers wrote: 3 years ago Has anyone ever had success having a turf miler drop to 7.5 panels in the SIM or is this idea just a fool's errand?

Any experience or SIM inside information would be appreciated.

Paul
From this article: https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... leID=17090

Q: For example, do horses say have 10 skill categories (Turf S/M/R, Dirt S/M/R, AW S/M/R, and Steeplechaser) but most only have one category that is stronger than another?
A: The Steward: Yes, not this exactly but yes

In the FAQ it says that up to three generations of pedigree are considered when running races.

My suspicion based on things is that there's three sprint categories (call them short sprints, mid sprints, and long sprints), then a single miler category, and four route categories (short/mid/long routes and marathoner).

Emily mentioned in the same linked article that horses with points in a lot of categories don't also have points in marathon distances. So the few all-around sires that have points in sprints/miler/route categories don't also get points in marathon distances, which means they're a separate category.

Outside of this article, Liam's Map is listed as a miler with points for short routes as well in the GP sires list. He doesn't have points in all route distances, just 1 1/16m. This means the sim has a way to represent points at just that distance.

I also saw a mention somewhere (although I can't find it now) that breeding too much at one extreme or the other results in breeding a horse out of their division (ie: breed too many generations of short distance sprinters results in tightening the distance the babies can run to shorter than the sim offers, and breeding too many generations of long routers or marathoners together and the babies want longer races than the sim offers). Presumably you can do the same thing with the categories closer to a mile (ie: overbreed long sprinters and short routers). Overspecialized horses don't shift divisions, they drop out of being race-able. This means that the slider doesn't jump across divisions when breeding foals. This means that the only way horses can get points to race in specific divisions (sprint/miler/route) is inheriting them in their pedigree, they don't just get "lucky rolls" where sprinters end up with miler scores if none of their ancestors had them.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100