My Goal For Roughian

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Re: My Goal For Roughian

Post by Danny Derby »

It's ambitious, I'll give you that. But if she brings you joy to run, go for it. I'm keeping Spe Chan around next year, even though old me would have retired her at 3 for sure!
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Danny Derby wrote: 3 years ago It's ambitious, I'll give you that. But if she brings you joy to run, go for it. I'm keeping Spe Chan around next year, even though old me would have retired her at 3 for sure!
I don't think I've ever retired a really good mare at age 3. I think it was because I Knew what I had for a racer - and worried about what I would get for a broodmare.

I had one mare, Forethought, who won over a $1.400.000 she was from my 'Foremost' line and she ended up a 'formidable'.
I never regretted racing her into her 5th, and in that year she won for me about $155,000.

She still managed to have 11 foals, but only 2 made more than $550,000 and 1 got into the $400,000 range, and 1 made just over the $100,000 range. Three of them couldn't even crack $50,000 and 4 of them didn't earn a dime on the track.

I kind of like the 4 year old racing....there are some racing (in the turf route division, anyway) that 3 year old's can't run in.
I do love racing them more than breeding them, so that helps my decision too. But usually I would retire a mare and not race her as a 6 year old...so I am pushing it with Roughian, in having her run as a 6 year old.
Mal, will run as a 5 year old and then retire at the end of the season - it will give him another shot at those 4 years old and older races.

I said at one point, I don't mind running Roughian longer because I have a barn full of great broodmares, so I am willing to 'lose' a foal or two by not retiring and breeding her right away. I don't know if I would do that if my barn was really in need of her for a broodmare. Still, when she does retire, I Hope she will be a blue hen and her foals will prove to be noteworthy.

I hope the same for your Spe Chan. Hope she ends up having a great year and running her as a 4 year old proves to be a smart choice for you and she has a good number of awesome foals for you when she does retire -- the best of both worlds. : )

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I somehow missed the memo about the purses being chopped down.
I commented in it when it first came up in that thread that is now on the forume, but have been busy with my yearling naming and haven't had a chance to add to this thread about it affecting my goal for Roughian's.

I had some hopes that if Roughen got a few wins, and finished 2nd or 3rd in some bigger races, that she had a decent chance of hitting that $10 million...but what hope I did have, has been chopped down along with the purses.

I'm still going to throw her into the mix and see what happens. But I'm starting out feeling more discouraged now, rather than filled with a bit of hopeful anticipation.

She's going to have to have a lot left in tank to earn that needed $2,786,500 - and it's now going to be even more difficult.
Crossing my fingers.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I'm on pins and needles wondering how Roughian will run tonight. No doubt she's slowed up...went from a freak to a stakes over the break and with the adjustment. But...what kind of stakes? The kind that can still get G1 wins, or one that can only nail down a non-graded to GIII type stakes on a good day. I am, of course, hoping for 2 things. One, given how good she was, that the drop into stakes quality still landed her into that upper tier quality stakes type....and two, that as she heads down the other side of her peak...it's a gentle slope and not that cliff I dread for her.

But no matter what, I won't ever be disappointed in her, no matter what happens this year. I will keep her running for the year, more than likely....even if it's in allowance races. I skipped breeding her last year, and giving her a foal early this year won't accomplish anything, so she will stay on the track and hopefully still be able to compete in GI races. Also, as I mentioned in my last post, I've almost given up on her chances of hitting $10 million...those purse cuts was an added handicap I didn't know was coming. I have had stake quality horses win several million over the course of 2 years, but I can't remember if any of them did it in a year...and Roughian would need to win closer to $3 million...and so so with those reduced purses.

Mal in in the same race. I put in him the 2 mile Melbourne Trophy for his last race of year 56, and he surprised me with a 2nd place finish. I wasn't sure if he could go 2 miles or not.
He probably hit the 1 1/4 mile marker and went "Ah...the Finish? Nope! Another 1/4th mile to go then. :D "
Hit that mark, and was told to keep moving...for another 1/2 mile...LOL. I can't imagine what he was thinking at that point, other than there better be a big bag of mints waiting for him at the barn after the race....or else. :P

I put Mal on the 'to retire this year' list - Looking at the turf routers on that list, it's going to be an awesome breeding season and a lot of great new choices for those with turf router mares. Millionaires currently on the list are:

~Yang Wenli -- Danny Derby $6,579,25
~Moulay El Hassan -- Nick Gilmore $5,073,500
~A Choice of Evils -- Willie Carson $4,837,500
~Mal -- Stormy Peak $4,623,000
~Manic -- Nena Olson $3,977,500
~Always You -- Mel Lankford $1,793,000
~Chief Lionheart -- Willowcreek Farms $1,357,140
~Spirit Guide -- Lisa Bennert $1,077,500
*Magnus --Cleo Patra $970,00 -- not yet a millionaire but it shouldn't be to hard for him to nail that down soon.

I just hope Roughian will be a blue hen mare...It's going to be really hard to chose from all the new and established studs out there. I also hope Mal ends up being a pretty decent stallion. In all the years I've been in the Sim and in having some very nice multi millionaire stallions, none of them have as yet been really great ones....most have just been mediocre ones, in spite of having excellent pedigrees. I think the Sim kind of hates me in that way. :P

Best of luck to all the runners in all of the Pegasus races tonight.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I missed the races today. : (

But I did listen to the replay and was happy to hear that Roughian still has some gas left in the tank. She finished 3rd, which to me isn't too that bad, given her age, and that she's running against the boys in a GI race.

Mal finished right behind her, so he picked up a nice paycheck too. I think with this paycheck, Mal will only be about $200,000 away from hitting $5 Million in earnings.

Congrats to Nena Olsen and her winner, Voyage!
Also, congrats to Ryan Whitehead, who's colt, Improvisational finished 2nd.

All in all, not a bad day. I'm very proud of both of my horses.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Last year before the Week 6, Duty Free - I skipped the week 4 Saudi races and worked Roughian at 5 furlongs on tuft, (week 4) and she won the then, $2 million dollar 1 1/8th mile race.

This year the Duty Free purse has been cut to $1 million, meaning a win will let the winner pocket $500,000.
The 1 1/2 mile Desert Turf Classic is at $2,500,000 -- so the winner of that race will end up with 1,250,000.

She's not that great at a 1 1/2 miles - only has one Grade 1 race she won at that distance, against other 3 year old fillies, in her glory days of age 3. So, I'm leaning pretty much towards the Duty Free, but still so tempted by that two and a half million dollar purse in the Turf Classic...however, 2nd in that race will probably only get around ? $400,000 ? *not sure on that number...too tired to do the math and figure it out. :P

Also...this year...she's moving into this season of racing without a recent win. She's dropped off a bit, still, she's a good stakes runner, rather than a freak now. She finished 3rd in the Pegasus against top notch horses, and that is nothing to be ashamed of. : )

I felt though that she needed a little boost in confidence so this year, rather than a work for week 4, I put her into a barrier trial.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=1571232

I considered a lower end race, like an allowance or GIII or GII, but couldn't really find anything close to where she's stabled, and even though 1st class doesn't tire a horse, the extra hours in the air mean less time at a farm resting. And, because even the best horse can throw a clunker of a race from time to time, there is no guarantee that she would win...thus defeating the purpose of gaining a confidence. I figure win or lose the barrier trial will at least give her a boost in confidence, and not tire her out quite as much as a real race would do....keeping her fit between her last race on Week 2 and the Desert race Week 6.

I also had Mal scheduled for a 5 furlong work...but entered him into a barrier race, too -- on a dry track as he Loves Dry.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=1571240

Since this is their last season of racing, I'm kind of experimenting a little and what I discover in doing this might help me out later with other stake or freak horses that come along.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Roughian had a walk over in her Barrier Trial. She showed some speed too !!!

Her time for 5 Furlongs on Turf was 57:72 on a yielding surface. This makes for the fastest 5 furlongs on turf (work or barrier trial) by a 4 year or older female this year.

When I punched in 'any age / female' There are two 2 year olds fillies who ran faster times.

Mal won his Barrier Trial by a little over 4 lengths, but his time was a bit slower, on a firm surface, same distance, 5 furlongs turf...his time was 58.19

So, it seems that Roughian hasn't lost her quick turn of foot...hope to see her in the lead like she's prone to do...but whether or not she can hang on to that lead now as an older and now just a stakes quality mare will be interesting to see.
I am hoping the confidence boost she gets from the Barrier Trial will help her a lot too.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Ruffian was beat by a nose, after having lead the race from the start.

Congrats to the winner, the 4 year old filly, Cat From Outer Space - owned by Brian Leavitt.
Both of our girls ended up with a speed figure of 91.

What an exciting race !!!
When I was listening to the replay on YouTube, all I could hear near the end of the race was our two fillies were paired up and running their hearts out and that Manic (owned by Nena Olson) making a huge charge through the field after having run in last place through most of the race...and I thought, "He's just going to sweep on by and take it"

But the two fillies hung on and he ended up in 3rd place, but what a huge effort on his part during that final call.
I'm always happy when Roughian does well against the boys, and also happy too when I see other fillies doing the same. I'm proud of my mare, and very happy for Brian Leavitt : )

I had 3 other horses running at that track yesterday, but none faired so well...
Mal, and Aloft failed to make any money - both finishing in 8th place in their respective races.
I was rather surprised that my filly, Rihanna, didn't fire like I thought she would, I had some high hopes for her. She, did get a small share of the purse money by finishing 5th.
But with all three, I was thinking they had a good shot for, at least, 3rd place or better....that will teach me to be over confident about my horses. :P

Since Roughian did so well in the Duty Free, I will be putting her into the Week-9 Day-1 Gran Premio Carlos Pellegrini, in Argentina for her next race.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Congrats on the nice second :D.

How is Roughian doing earnings-wise this season?
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Gwen Morse wrote: 3 years ago Congrats on the nice second :D.

How is Roughian doing earnings-wise this season?
Her 3rd in the Pegasus earned her $220,000, as did her 2nd in the Duty Free. :) So she's earned $440,000 so far.
Sadly, due to the cut in so many of the purses, I am feeling rather doubtful that she will be able to reach that goal now.

Her finishes this year...if she had done the same but with last year's purse values...her earnings would have been $660,000 total.

So, this year she hasn't even hit 1/2 a million, while last year with the same finishes, she would have been well on the other side of that line. Still, I am hoping she has enough left in the tank to keep finishing on the board this year and perhaps even win a big race (or 2 ;) )

She's only run twice so far. I could have put her in another race before the Duty Free, but skipped doing that and put her into a non-paying barrier trial. I wanted a sure thing for a confidence boost, and racing her even in a Grade III..isn't a 100 percent thing that she would win, as even the best horses have bad days.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Xander Zone
Hall of Fame

Post by Xander Zone »

Until it says retired I don’t care ! To me your tainting her memory trying for 10 mill kinda sad to me !

Okay let the I am a as*hole comment start for saying what many are thinking .
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Xander Zone wrote: 3 years ago Until it says retired I don’t care ! To me your tainting her memory trying for 10 mill kinda sad to me !

Okay let the I am a as*hole comment start for saying what many are thinking .
No need to be passive aggressive, Xander.

Generally, I reckon most of us continue to race our horses for as long as we enjoy it. For some (as yourself) that may be when the horse has reached peak. Others (such as me), would enjoy racing them for longer. Roughian is a starry horse and if anyone's memory is tainted by a horse continuing to race past their (potential) prime, then I think it's that person's memory and not the horse needing to be jogged. ;)
Karazhan, Deshaan
Storm Drawing Near (sire of Steward's Cup winner)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Xander Zone wrote: 3 years ago Until it says retired I don’t care ! To me your tainting her memory trying for 10 mill kinda sad to me !

Okay let the I am a as*hole comment start for saying what many are thinking.
No, you are not an a-hole.

And it's fine with me if you don't care about how she's doing this year, everyone has opinions on how to play the game, and for some breeding is more important than racing, or buying and selling horses for profit is more fun than the racing and breeding...etc...and your idea of how to manage your horses is the perfect way to do so, for you. : )

I know I could have retired her earlier and got an extra foal or two - but there's no guarantee she will be an outstanding broodmare...and I have So Many mares of similar breeding...with the Foremost pedigree in them, that I probably won't have any problems getting more freaks and stakes from that line. Maybe none as good as Roughian, but then, I doubt even Roughian will end up foaling something as nice as herself.

I took a shot at $10 Million...that would have put her in the record books here.... When I decided to run her, I wasn't counting in the drop in purses, and I didn't find out about the purse drop until it was too late to retire her as year 57 began.
So, I might as well race her and see what she can do. There is still the goal of beating the earnings of Three Day Event...who ran her last race clear back in Year 5 ,and holds the top earnings for any mare in the game at $8,645,000. Roughian at the moment has a total of $7,643,500

I don't get the 'just give up' attitude and retire the mare when she still can perform quite well on the track. I will, eventually, still get at least a handful of foals from her, and in the meantime, it's not like she's running terribly.
She's hit the board in both races this year.....still out running a lot of nice male horses. Sure, she's no longer a freak, but even as a stakes quality horse, she's better than a lot of other stakes and freaks.

So, I have a good number of reasons to keep her on the track. And I just can't see how any of it 'taints' her memory. Maybe I'll go down in the Sim history as being foolish in running her rather than retiring her sooner, but she will more than likely go down as one tough campaigner along with being a super horse during her heyday.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Kaine Saracen
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kaine Saracen »

While I think the odds of Roughian getting to $10m is definitely at long odds, I have known and assume that anyone that reads Stormy's posts should be aware that she is more about the racing than the breeding. Goals are a nice thing and we will always try and get an extra goal when we get that one horse.

I will just put this out there.

Arguably Nightmarch's best race was on the back end of his career, there is a shot Roughian could make if she fires one last shot.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I have to say, Love Nighmarch !

He sired my wonderful horse, Mal, who in spite of just being a stakes horses, has won $4,763,000...and hopefully will add to that before the end of this, his final year of racing.

Nightmarch, also sired my freak/blue hen mare, Foretold, who earned $1,136,000 on the track. Her first baby is also a freak, :)

Foretold's progressive-freak filly, Rumble of Thunder is sired by Roughian's sire, Night's Quiet :P The only sad thing about Rumble of Thunder...is she Loves Mud... Gah!
(I think the sim-gods thought it would be funny to do that, given she was named first, and then tested later for surface preference...lol)

I think this will limit her shot to win some of the really big races, as so many of the big races seem to be on dry tracks. Foretold was a 'likes mud' kind of horse and did terrible on dry tracks..and I know it hampered her chances to earn more money.

And if Nightmarch can hold out and not be pensioned until Roughian retires, and if they nick well, he may very well be the first sire, Roughian will visit. I also have With Drama listed as a possible, but he's much younger and could wait a year...again...given what kind of broodmare Roughian will make, and how the hypos turn out.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000