My Goal For Roughian

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Re: My Goal For Roughian

Post by Stormy Peak »

Danny Derby wrote: 3 years ago The most impressive part of this to me is that she's done this while winning only one race in the past 3 years, 1 for her last 16.
This year I might not be racing her against the boys all the time, maybe she will have enough in her to still win a race or two against the girls. She's had a pretty grueling race career for a mare...mostly raced against the boys. It's really hard for the mares to consistently win against them.

She keeps me in awe...I am surprised at how much money she has racked up without a win....but she keeps hitting the board in those big races. : )

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Katie Stepanian »

Congratulations Stormy!
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Sara Julin »

Congratulations, Stormy! Roughian is a extraordinary mare and it was a thrill to see her break the record ^^
Portrait Artist of the Sim~
Standing Stallions, Crayon, Illegalist
Stallions Soon To Come, n/a
A horse gallops with it's lungs, perseveres with it's heart and wins with it's character~
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Thanks everyone for the nice PM's and the 'Congrats' in chat and in this thread.

I didn't nominate Roughian for the desert races this year, as I honestly thought I was pushing it in just nominating her for The Pegasus...wasn't expecting her to finish so well in that race. :P

So, instead, Roughian will be headed to Europe for Week 4 Day 5 and will be racing against some fillies and mares : )
She will probably be in stunned puzzlement, wondering where the boys are at...lol.

Sea of Class Memorial. Grade 1

I think the distance should suit her too.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Roughian is running next week in Europe, this time in a Grade 1 race against other mares. : ) She will probably be befuddled, wondering where all the handsome horses are : )

https://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=1642000

I got a vet report on her today, and am glad to see she's recovered nicely since her big effort in the Pegasus. She's a 'somewhat unsound' and sometimes recovers a little more slowly than at other times, it seems. I've had races where I didn't know if she would be ok until the day before the race.

VET REPORT:
I don't see anything going on with Roughian's legs right now. This horse looks absolutely fine to me!

The race is starting to fill with some nice mares, and I am actually more nervous about this race than I have been about many in the past. I don't know if it was just a really weird fluke that Roughian did so well in the Pegasus, or if at allowance type level, she really is still capable of performing well in a higher end stakes race.

So, it's going through my mind... if she bombs in this race...will it be due to the talent level drop, or because she just bounced due to such a big effort last time out...which to me, seems to happen from time to time after a big performance.
But I think this race will be a fair test for her. The distance is a good one for her, she's not having to face the higher quality males, nor mares...as most of them are headed for the desert races...but at the same time, the competition in a Grade 1 for mares is still going to be stiff - I am both looking forward to Friday and kind of dreading it a little too - it's going to be a long week. :P

If she does well in this race... I really might have to reconsider giving up on Nightmarch and going for that $10 Million. I just hope he's one of those stallions that can go on until the very last second that is allowed for a stallion in this game.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Well, Roughian didn't fair very well in this race... finished 5th out of 5 runners.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=1642000

Congrats to Laura Smith, the owner of The Timeless Child who won the race, making it the 4th Grade 1 win for this filly : )

As for Roughian...not sure if she really nosed dive down that old age slope, or...if this was indeed a clunker after her huge effort in the Pegasus. I would like to aim her towards the Gran Premio Carlos for week 9 day 1. I am not sure how, yet I want to go about it.

I would like to see how much she's dropped in talent and race her in a Grade 2 or 3, against her own gender, but too, I want to see her get some rest and get a confidence boost...which she *might* get if she wins a lower grade race -- a barrier trial would guarantee it. However, given the time between today, the end of Week 4, and the day of the Gran Premio, Week 9 that's a long time to go without a race, even with a barrier trial tucked in there. But, I think a race would at least let me assess if she really is running more like an allowance level horse than a stakes type horse...it's been pretty rare that she's ever had 2 clunkers in a row.

I don't know if she can ever get to that $10 million if her talent level has dropped to the point where she can't win a few hundred thousand from here on out. So maybe it is time to just have some fun with her...stick her in a miler and see if she still has enough turn of foot to get out front and win a mile stakes race. : )

I know some don't like what I'm doing with her, but that's the risk one takes with trying for lofty goals...sometimes they don't work out. She did hit, at least, the goal of being the mare with the most earning ever in the Sim...so I'm happy with that, and I never believed in the idea that making a great horse keep working is a bad deal. In real life, the mighty Kelso, was turned into an event jumper after he retired from racing...and some thought that was terrible. I thought it was kind of cool...that the old horse could learn a new trick and be good at it. And here in the Sim, I'll still get a decent number of foals from Roughian, so I don't see the big set back there either.

And if I goof around with her a little, maybe it can be a learning experience for me...in seeing just what a decent horse can do going from turf routes to turf miles...or even try her in an AW route - it might make me more bold in experimenting with some of my sad stakes or sad freaks to see if I should widen their horizons too. :p

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

In a last minute decision I decided to enter Roughian into the Duty Free.

She ran a barrier trial Week 5, Day 7....as I thought she needed a confidence boost. But... I figured she would probably miss a big race to do it. However, I have been vetting her and at around 2 AM Thursday morning, her vet report stated:
"X-rays are coming back clear on Roughian! I'd go one more day without exercise, but this horse should be okay tomorrow"

So, I am hoping by Friday 9pm, she will fine to race, not tired. She's on automatic shipping, 1st class and it will be a long trip. but I am hoping she will do well in the race...and I hope the vet isn't too far off as far as her being not tired. I have had vet reports before where the vets say a horse will 'be ok tomorrow' but then got that exact same report the following day.

The good... she has her confidence up due to the barrier trial
The not so good....she might still end up being slightly tired if the vet report is wrong.
The bad....her last race...she didn't do well against the girls in a G1 that was a nice distance for her (she finished 5th in a field of 5) I don't know if she bounced after having a great race in the Pegasus or if her age really has caught up with her given that 5th place finish.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

It’s sad to see her wind down, but she really has been brilliant to follow. When she retires, I hope she turns into the Maryland Million if the turf set. She deserves to leave a legacy as awesome as she is herself.
Well done Stormy.
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

The big test, will be interesting to see how she does. I noticed there are a lot of front runners in this race, will be interesting to see who manages to grab the lead. I fear my girl will is going to be left in the dust, but just showing up is fun too :)
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I'd be a little concerned with going 14-16-2-4-6, all tough races, _with_ a barrier race between the week 4 and 6 races. The finish in Week 4 may have had more to do with her needing a little break than anything else, especially since you report that she is somewhat unsound. I also find that most of my horses need a little more than a week to do their best after a barrier trial - 5 days tends to be a little quick. That said, I wish her the best on Friday!
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Nick, Shannon and Laura, Thanks, for the responses : )

Nick, I too, hope she ends up an awesome broodmare. I will be a little disappointed if she's anything less than a star type. A formidable wouldn't be so bad I guess. Anything less than that.. I guess I would just have to look at it like I made the better choice in keeping her on the track for so dang long... :P But yeah, hope she can pass those awesome genetics and talent on to more than a few of her foals. Best of luck with your UAE entry in the dirt marathon Hickstead

Shannon... you have a Very nice filly in Follow The Lights. She might like the drop in distance, and she looks like she might be due for another win. : ) I love her headshot too! She has a lovely, fine looking head but a powerful looking neck and body!

Laura, yeah, I'm a little concerned too about tiredness. Hopefully, after this race, I might be able to aim her for the next big race...the 'Pellegrini on Week 9, Day 1. And after that, the Beverly D on Week 12 Day 1. Also...as far as rest, she did get some extra time that probably equaled about 3 days worth...between Week 16 and the start of Week 1....when the Sim has that weird week of 1/2 rest when Sim fees kick in but the horses can't train or race yet. So I think that helped her out some in the Pegasus on Week 2. I hope your entries all do well too:
This One Boy in the turf mile
Arizona dirt mile
Risen Today dirt marathon
Ziggy Stardust World Cup
.....and in Louisville.....
Academy Award Derby.
Owl Fly Away Oaks.
Hope I didn't miss any of them. :P
I've been a fan of David Bowie from the early 1970s, one of the few entertainers who, when they passed away, I actually got a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat when I heard the news. So Ziggy Stardust is a sentimental favorite of mine...glad he had such an awesome career for you.

And with Roughian...I had to get up due to back pain, so I vetted her about 4 AM this Friday morning after she landed at the track, and here is what the Vet said. : )

Y58-W6-D5 Vet:
Roughian is walking soundly. This horse isn't even tired!

I'm happy I didn't get another one of those 'She'' be fine tomorrow' type comments - the comment gives me a little more hope she might have a money earning run tonigh. Crossing my fingers and hoping for a decent finish : )

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Well, in spite of having a long tough schedule with that barrier trial from last week...Roughian didn't totally collapse and end up in last place. She finished in 6th, so just one spot off from making some money in field of 9 really nice horses.

So, I'm not too upset about it. Her entry, was a spur of the moment decision, and I knew it might not go well for her, but in the past, even the recent past, such as the Pegasus, I made decisions to push her and she rarely disappointed me. I could have ducked the Pegasus, knowing she was an allowance level now, but I kind of have a mindset of 'you will never know unless you find it out' So letting her race is the only way to do it.

Again, 6th place, just out of the money, for an older, allowance type mare, who's had a very hard schedule, and racing against males, in a top end race...some might see that finish as not so good. I see it as - it could have been worse. : )

A huge Congrats to Shannon Hunt! Her 4 year old filly, Follow The Lights won the Duty Free race. : ) Her filly was back in 7th place and made her way up through the pack in a rush during the latter half of the race.

Roughian is going to get a 2 week rest and then head to South America for the Pellegrini...and give it a go one more time against the males. If she fails pretty bad... I'll probably just race her against the females for the rest of the season, and even try a mile race for the fun of it.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

For the sheer fun of it -- I just entered Roughian's full sister, Outlawed into the Pellegrini. : )

https://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=1659849

Outlawed has never gone that distance before, and she does 'like mud' but maybe she'll do ok on a dry track. I've never tested her on dry, or as I said, at a longer distance. This will be her first time against the boys too.

Both will be coming off some well deserved rest for the race. Crossing my fingers and hoping Roughian still has enough gas in the tank to finish well in the race. And it would also be fun to see Outlaw do well...maybe really take to the extra distance.

Stormy : )

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

The Gran Premio Carlos Pellegrini was run last night with a total of 10 entries.
The 4 year old colt, Valar owned by Cleo Patra won the race by a 1/2 length with a nice forward progress from 8th place early on in the race. Congrats Cleo on that win ! : )

https://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=1659849

This was Roughian's 4th run in this race....
~Year 55 she finished 1st
~Year 56 she finished 3rd
~Year 57 she finished 3rd

~Year 58 she finished 5th, after leading the race up until about the 1 1/16 mile mark. At one point she was 6 1/2 length's in the lead...so it appears she still has a quick turn of foot, but is lacking the stamina she use to have. Still, I'm happy with her earning some money in this race.

Her full sister, Outlawed, didn't fair so well. She finished in 8th place....running in 2nd for a portion of the race before fading.

I'm pretty sure this will be the last time Roughian will go against the boys. From here on out, female races only. I'm also still really curious about running her at a mile. I doubt she's going to hit $10 million...so maybe week 12...or 14... I might try a mile race with her.

The Beverly B at 1 1/8 miles runs on Week-12 Day-1 - It's a Grade 1 for fillies and mares with a $500,000 purse. So I'll probably go there next...and then Week 14...a mile race if I can find one would be fun to try. I will probably finish her career in the SC Filly and Mare Turf.

It won't be too long before I get to see what grade of broodmare she will be, and a long tortuous wait to see how her foals turn out. I am getting very excited about it. : )

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Well, I was wrong ... in my last post, I said I was pretty sure Roughian wouldn't be racing against the boys anymore.
But in looking at the Beverly B and the Chicago Million. I decided to go into the Million.

Bevertly B
Only 6 entries. But wow...this looks like a tough field. Two 3 year olds and four, 4 year olds with one of the 3 year olds already hitting over a half million in earnings and there are a few powerhouse 4 year olds running as well. They all look young, strong and fresh.

The Chicago Million -- it's a longer distance than I would like for Roughian...and again...facing the males. However...I keep looking at the ages of the horses and thinking...maybe my old geezer can hang in there with some of those old codgers lol. :P
There are 8 entries.
one 9 year old -- Dancing In June
one 7 year old -- Roughian
two 6 year olds -- Adiyodi, and Trying Trip
two 5 year olds -- Face The Waves and Voyage
two 4 year olds -- Phanomaly and Valar

Bad luck for Roughain...she drew the #1 post. : P Valar, owned by Cleo Patra, got the far outside one...and I think he's the horse that will probably win this race. I like him, he's a wonderful horse.

I am still looking forward to see if can find a mile race for Roughian...just for the fun of it.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000