Splitting Races

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
David Faulkner
Grade 3 Winner

Splitting Races

Post by David Faulkner »

Splitting Races: Races no longer split with their original purse if it is over $20,000. Now a race that splits will split up to $20,000, so if the race being split has a purse of $15,000 it will stay $15,000, but if it has a purse of $30,000 the original race will keep the $30,000 purse and the split division goes down to $20,000.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: but if 7 and 8 remain, who remain in the original, and who remain in the duplicate, the first ones entered are 12, which takes away the right to 8 to go to a lower prize, I don't know, it doesn't seem to me, it's like me I queue for a premiere, and I arrive first, and they pass me to the last, and I run out of tickets hahahaha

this is a heavy hit for bettors there is no pick 6 :)
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Re: Splitting Races

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Good question. Who gets to stay in the main race?
;p
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

How/Why did this all come about, like what's the backstory here, didn't realize this was an issue and don't really understand how this is better than the previous system.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

I'm guessing that it's a small savings toward taking money out of the game. Saving $10,000+ per split race might add up throughout the year, I doubt it would be that significant though. Also, if you find your horse ends up in the newly created race, there are now 4 or 5 openings in the old race and you can re-enter back into it. This would lead the newly created race to possibly have a shorter field if people are chasing the bigger purse.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Garret Folsom wrote: 3 years ago I'm guessing that it's a small savings toward taking money out of the game. Saving $10,000+ per split race might add up throughout the year, I doubt it would be that significant though. Also, if you find your horse ends up in the newly created race, there are now 4 or 5 openings in the old race and you can re-enter back into it. This would lead the newly created race to possibly have a shorter field if people are chasing the bigger purse.
If I enter a race I shouldn’t have to stay diligent on re-entering it for bigger purse
;p
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

If your horse has more points than one in the higher value race your horse can get into that race.

If a race splits you get a message in your inbox.

The only problem is that with first class shipping sometimes the race split is just before it closes.
Last edited by Dave Trainer 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Andrew James wrote: 3 years ago How/Why did this all come about, like what's the backstory here, didn't realize this was an issue and don't really understand how this is better than the previous system.
There were some players splitting high purse allowance races 70+ times, and running in each of them with 4 horse fields. These players were banking $2-3 million a week doing this.

Wasn't against the rules, but tired of the gaming of the system!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

I do see the concern from the OP here. It was my understanding that a split moves horses at random to the second race. Under this system, horses that entered early (before the race split or even before it filled), or horses that had the most points, could be moved into a split race with a lower purse.

Right now, when I enter a horse I don't care if its race eventually splits. Now I will have to watch all of the non-stake races I enter to make sure my horses don't get bumped down to a lower purse. If they do, I want the option to scratch them and move them to an unsplit race back at the original (or higher) purse.

And here's what could happen. A 30K race gets split. My horse gets moved from the 30K race to the 20K race. I see this, and scratch my horse from the 20K race and move him back to the 30K race which now only has 7 entries. And so on if that race gets split again when others who got bumped do the same, each one trying to be - or stay - the lucky ones in the 30K race, which could stay on this roulette wheel until the race closes.
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Jack Ryder
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Jack Ryder »

Wouldn't a limit on how many times a race could split wouldn't have done the thing instead of this?
Brad Fabman
Derby Contender

Post by Brad Fabman »

I don't even remotely understand the need for this. If this is about removing money from the game, in the grand scheme of things, it's chump change. But as usual, who gets hurt the most here? The little guys. The cash flush stables will be by and large unaffected. And there are many important questions posted here already. Who is in the original race vs who got thrown into the lower valued split race? As game changes go, and the game is always evolving, this one seems totally unnecessary.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Brad Fabman wrote: 3 years ago I don't even remotely understand the need for this. If this is about removing money from the game, in the grand scheme of things, it's chump change. But as usual, who gets hurt the most here? The little guys. The cash flush stables will be by and large unaffected. And there are many important questions posted here already. Who is in the original race vs who got thrown into the lower valued split race? As game changes go, and the game is always evolving, this one seems totally unnecessary.
Did you read the above reason why the change was made? It has nothing to do with removing money from the game. People were gaming the system.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Seems necessary to me, a cap on splits does seem like a better solution, but I know that the 2yo router maidens are split for legitimate reasons a bunch of times during week 10 and 11.

Definitely a sad spot this group of friends put the rest of the players in.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Brad Fabman
Derby Contender

Post by Brad Fabman »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago
Brad Fabman wrote: 3 years ago I don't even remotely understand the need for this. If this is about removing money from the game, in the grand scheme of things, it's chump change. But as usual, who gets hurt the most here? The little guys. The cash flush stables will be by and large unaffected. And there are many important questions posted here already. Who is in the original race vs who got thrown into the lower valued split race? As game changes go, and the game is always evolving, this one seems totally unnecessary.
Did you read the above reason why the change was made? It has nothing to do with removing money from the game. People were gaming the system.
No ma'am. Where do I find this tidbit of info? I was not aware of this. Probably because I play differently than most people maybe. I enter my horses 2 weeks ahead and then let the chips fall where they may. Playing this way, I don't seek out soft spots or short fields. So if there is gaming going on, I have never noticed, or cared for that matter.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Pinhooking is more lucrative.
;p
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago
Andrew James wrote: 3 years ago How/Why did this all come about, like what's the backstory here, didn't realize this was an issue and don't really understand how this is better than the previous system.
There were some players splitting high purse allowance races 70+ times, and running in each of them with 4 horse fields. These players were banking $2-3 million a week doing this.

Wasn't against the rules, but tired of the gaming of the system!
Interesting, didn't know that, always wondered if someone had figured something like this out, Im guessing this was in mixed breeds?

Any thought to maybe redoing the races (I realize how much work this is and would happily volunteer to help) so that we don't even need the split function?
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time