Splitting Races

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Re: Splitting Races

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Could a different solution be to not allow races with a purse of more than $25,000 to split? That way, maiden races could still split, with no difference in purse to either half of the split, but the $58,000 allowance race doesn't.

That may just create a different problem, but trying to think around the problem of everyone moving from the smaller purse division to the bigger purse division. I'm not sure that the $20k cap is enough of a deterrent for the current situation as it is described in this thread - so instead of gaming to the tune of $2 million, it is what, $500k-$750k. Still not chump change.
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

Anybody want to confess?
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Yea I'm not a fan. I don't know what the issues were but I think it sucks to have a lower purse!
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 3 years ago That may just create a different problem, but trying to think around the problem of everyone moving from the smaller purse division to the bigger purse division. I'm not sure that the $20k cap is enough of a deterrent for the current situation as it is described in this thread - so instead of gaming to the tune of $2 million, it is what, $500k-$750k. Still not chump change.
had this thought too
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Another option that would require zero changes to gameplay mechanics would be to make an actual rule about it and then penalize people who break such a rule.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Kent Saunders wrote: 3 years ago Anybody want to confess?
It's searchable. It had to be thoroughbred flat races, because mixer/chaser allowances don't have rich purses. It took me less than five minutes to find a pretty glaring example (an allowance with a $58,000 purse that had 17 divisions, most of them 3-4 horses each, with several of the same players participating in many of those divisions).

Laura
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Maybe high purse allowances shouldn’t be allowed to be split?
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 3 years ago
It's searchable. It had to be thoroughbred flat races, because mixer/chaser allowances don't have rich purses. It took me less than five minutes to find a pretty glaring example (an allowance with a $58,000 purse that had 17 divisions, most of them 3-4 horses each, with several of the same players participating in many of those divisions).

Laura
Yeah... I just found a Turf route Allowance in Tokyo that was split into 34(!) races, all generally with 5 or fewer horses in them, and a similar pattern of players entered. How does someone even have the time to even do all that? Lordy.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Lily Wilkins wrote: 3 years ago

Laura
Yeah... I just found a Turf route Allowance in Tokyo that was split into 34(!) races, all generally with 5 or fewer horses in them, and a similar pattern of players entered. How does someone even have the time to even do all that? Lordy.
Yeah, I can't find 70+ splits, and the purses don't add up to 2-3 million. And that's split between what looks like a bunch of people. And after acquiring and shipping all those horses, plus the sheer amount of time to split the races, I would imagine it's not worth it. Hypothetically. I'd chalk it up to quarantine brain and move on.

It's good that this is getting fixed. I think the easiest thing to do is limit different types of races to a certain number of splits.
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Brad Fabman
Derby Contender

Post by Brad Fabman »

This

""Another option that would require zero changes to gameplay mechanics would be to make an actual rule about it and then penalize people who break such a rule.""

and this

""Maybe high purse allowances shouldn’t be allowed to be split?""

The high purse allowance has a higher purse than regular stakes races. $58,000 vs $50,000. Why have them? They should have the same entry rules as stakes races do. By points and they don't split. Problem solved.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Laura
Buncha low life’s I’ll betcha
yeah
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 3 years ago Could a different solution be to not allow races with a purse of more than $25,000 to split? That way, maiden races could still split, with no difference in purse to either half of the split, but the $58,000 allowance race doesn't.
I think this is a much better solution.

I also agree with Danny's option. Make it against the rules.

Whichever is the easiest for you to implement and maintain.
Kris Bobby
Classic Contender

Post by Kris Bobby »

Between the examples provided by Laura and Lily, the added purse money seems to be over $2.2 million. There may be more, so it seems to be an issue that needs to be corrected by the powers in charge. I trust that they will feel the situation out and come up with a proper solution as they have so many times in the past.
RELAX, it's Just a Game
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Tim Matthews wrote: 3 years ago

Laura
Yeah, I can't find 70+ splits, and the purses don't add up to 2-3 million. And that's split between what looks like a bunch of people. And after acquiring and shipping all those horses, plus the sheer amount of time to split the races, I would imagine it's not worth it. Hypothetically. I'd chalk it up to quarantine brain and move on.

It's good that this is getting fixed. I think the easiest thing to do is limit different types of races to a certain number of splits.
Here's 61 (33 of the male division, 28 of the female), of a $40k purse. That's $2,440,000 in purse money, of which $2,280,000 is additional, figuring that each race normally only splits once, if that (so four normal races, 64 bonus races).

https://www.simhorseracing.com/races.ph ... wEntries=1

In my other example, 17 divisions of a $58k purses is $986,000 in purse money, of which $870,000 is bonus money, again assuming that the race is split only once.

It may not have been against the rules, but it sure doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth, and I think a number of people are feeling punished for a problem they didn't create.

I don't know how you program a race to know that it is a split race and not to split again, which is why I suggested not splitting races over a certain purse amount. That still isn't a great solution, but perhaps a more practical one.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

;p