Is peak "peak" ?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Trent Mcevoy
Sprinter

Is peak "peak" ?

Post by Trent Mcevoy »

I recently splurged 5K on a Turf Sprint 3YO colt from that Alexandra J. sales page, equalling my biggest purchase thus far. Yeah I know but 5K seems a lot for me at this point in my game. :D

My question is thats its a 3YO colt out of a million dollar performing Steward mare and it gallops "This is at least an allowance horse with some stakes potential. This horse looks to be about at their peak, but even I can’t always predict the future!"

So has anyone experienced a colt with the above improving its gallop comment in the future or is peak "peak" and I should just go ahead and geld ? Or just give it a couple of runs and decide later.
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Re: Is peak "peak" ?

Post by Cleo Patra »

Gelding ALWAYS improves a horse, sometimes a little and sometimes substantially. My rule is to geld anything I wouldn’t breed my best mares to. If you aren’t going to stand a colt as a commercially viable stallion then he’s definitely more likely to make money as a gelding.

Assuming you’re talking about Thunder I Wonder, I would say he looks unlikely to be a stud prospect. His dam IS lovely but she and her sisters have failed to produce any stud worthy colts so far and they’ve had many many chances. That weakness in his family combined with being peak allowance means it will be difficult for him to hit the 350k mark required for standing a stallion. Peak horses can improve but even if he does, he has better looking Thunder Horse sons to compete with if he does go to stud.

If you geld him you go from a colt that maybe might improve (but probably not) to a definitely improved gelding. Geldings also have better longevity than colts so you’ll be able to race him till he drops, and then use him to fill races.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I would also mention that you shouldn’t expect the horse to improve a lot after gelding him, gelding only gives a small boost as far as we know. But certainly agree that it’s better to geld him now, even for that small boost.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Also another tip. He's a turf sprinter, which means he will do his best running in turf sprinter races. That said, all races pay through 5th place and sometimes fields don't fill. Any horse that winds up disappointing you might still be able to be a good earner when placed where all they need do is finish in the top 5 in a 5 horse field and turf miles at TP don't always fill.
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

So has anyone experienced a colt with the above improving its gallop comment in the future or is peak "peak"
I've had at least one horse improve its gallop even though it was "peak" at its lower gallop. As is often the case with gallop comments increasing one level, especially in an older horse, the horse didn't race any better.
Trent Mcevoy
Sprinter

Post by Trent Mcevoy »

Thanks all for your input and advice. It was Thunder I Wonder I was talking about and going by all the above it looks like the vet will be around before his next start :? poor guy lol.
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Trent Mcevoy wrote: 3 years ago So has anyone experienced a colt with the above improving its gallop comment in the future or is peak "peak" and I should just go ahead and geld ? Or just give it a couple of runs and decide later.
To answer the initial question: peak is peak and won't improve, other than in situations where any runner can improve, which is so small a chance that there's no point in relying on it for a specific horse.

For the bigger question of when to geld horses...when looking at colts with a decent pedigree and trying to decide whether or not to cut them, ask yourself "are they on track to earn 350k before the end of their 5 y/o season"? Not that you should stand every colt who earns 350k, but it's kind of the bare minimum.

For "Thunder I Wonder": he's only competed in allowances so far and he hasn't won since his maiden. It's going to be close to impossible to get 325k in earnings in another 2 seasons. He's going to have to average around 23k a start if you race him 7x each at 4 and 5 (minus whatever else he may earn this season). He'll need to win 14 ungraded stakes to reach 350k (or get equivalent earnings finishing OTB in harder races).

Hopefully, laying the numbers out this way make it easier for you to decide for yourself as well as considering other potential colts.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Glenn Larson
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Glenn Larson »

Funny you should ask... this happened recently

Y56-W12-D1 Galloped
Y56-W12-D1 Trainer: Oh, my! 'Holiday Dash' is a freak! This horse looks to be about at their peak, but even I can’t always predict the future!
Y56-W9-D6 Moved to Aa Equine Mixer Central via 1st class airplane
Y56-W9-D4 Moved to Sioux Falls Park via 1st class airplane
Y56-W8-D6 Galloped
Y56-W8-D6 Trainer: 'Holiday Dash' is a stakes quality horse. This horse looks to be about at their peak, but even I can’t always predict the future!
Y56-W6-D6 Moved to Aa Equine Mixer Central via 1st class airplane
Glenn Larson
Stallion Rosters

Thoroughbred Stallions

Mixer Stallions