improving question.

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

improving question.

Post by Stormy Peak »

I've had horses improve several times from yearling to older horse, my best example being, my turf router mare.
Foretold

Year 52: Yearling gallop: CLAIMER (No info in gallops back then for peaking performance)
Year 53: Pre-season: STAKES
Year 55: Galloped during a long rest between races: FREAK (Near peak)

Because she did improve from Claimer to Stakes, her first race was a stakes, she won with an 87 SF.
She finished 4th in her next effort, a stakes race. :P

--------

I now have this filly in my barn - she's also a turf router. My question about improving will follow below.

Rihanna

Year 55: As a yearling, galloped: PRODUCTIVE (late bloomer)
Year 56: Week 9 - she improved: ALLOWANCE (Near Peak)

Year 56: Week 11 - Her first race, A maiden, full field of 12 -- she wins by 1 3/4th lengths with a 95 Speed Figure. AND... She didn't have the right equipment either, she only had a shadow roll on, based upon her works. I bought an equipment hint after the race and found out she needs blinker + a non-vet piece. So next time out, I'm going to try her out with Blinkers + Shadow Roll.

I don't recall ever having a 2 year old turf router Allowance run a 95 speed figure....

So my question: Is it possible for a horse to improve twice in just a few weeks?

I understand that a horse can improve after it's first race, and I've had horses do that.
But I don't recall any that improved after it's first race when it just improved 2 weeks prior to that race.
I also don't recall ever having an allowance 2 year old hit a 95 speed figure in a turf route race, plus she finished almost 2 lengths ahead of the rest.

So, has anyone had a horse improve like that?

I want to re-gallop Rihanna so bad...lol...but need to wait until she recovers from that race to find out if he did jump up again, or if I just ended up with a weird speed figure for an allowance type filly. :P

As per my example with Foretold... I've seen horse jump up more than once - but haven't seen one do it within a few weeks...if indeed that is what has happened. :P

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Ma Springs
Grade 1 Winner

Re: improving question.

Post by Ma Springs »

Wow, congratulations! :shock:

I heard the Steward mention the first out improvement is a completely different thing from the "scheduled" improvement. So I guess if they are not related it would be very possible to have a scheluled improve one week and a first time out improve the next. I obviously have no experience myself though. Waiting for it to happen. ;)
Nashville Stud
Elite Power | DS/DM/AWS/AWM/AWR | $40,000
Levels | TM | $12,000 with incentives
Kacchan | TM | $3,500
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

I personally have never broken a horse by galloping it immediaetl;y after a race. Of course, its risky tho, but ive done it often. i just give them a longer rest. But I ALSO have a sucky win %. (;
Mara Jade Vess
Miler

Post by Mara Jade Vess »

Not a turf horse, but my guy was similar in that he improved twice in just over 2 weeks:

Y56-W7-D1 Trainer: 'Faded Memory' really wowed me out there! This is at least an allowance horse with some stakes potential. This horse should progress throughout their career, but don’t wait too long to get them to the races! By the way, have you ever put a shadow roll on Faded Memory? That might help with focus on what's ahead, rather than shadows below.
Y56-W9-D1 Trainer: 'Faded Memory' sure moves like a very nice horse! This horse looks to be about at their peak, but even I can’t always predict the future!

Y56-W11-D1: broke his maiden with a 96.

Hasn't been regalloped yet so I'm not sure what level he's at now.
At Stud
Chuck Tingle – DR
$7,500
Dream All Day – DR
$12,500

Coming Soon
Y59: Sunrise inthe Dawn – AWR
Y60: Faded Memory – DR

A Complete Historical Guide to the Louisville Derby
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Pepper Carol wrote: 3 years ago I personally have never broken a horse by galloping it immediaetl;y after a race. Of course, its risky tho, but ive done it often. i just give them a longer rest. But I ALSO have a sucky win %. (;
I was/am still tempted...but Rihanna is a 'Somewhat Unsound' type horse - she ran on Monday, and today's Thursday.
If she ends up a stakes or a freak, and I broke her due to being impatient...
I would have to ask Em to make up some kind of trophy for Dumb-butt of the year...and make me first nominee for it. :P

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Mara Jade Vess wrote: 3 years ago Not a turf horse, but my guy was similar in that he improved twice in just over 2 weeks:

Y56-W7-D1 Trainer: 'Faded Memory' really wowed me out there! This is at least an allowance horse with some stakes potential. This horse should progress throughout their career, but don’t wait too long to get them to the races! By the way, have you ever put a shadow roll on Faded Memory? That might help with focus on what's ahead, rather than shadows below.
Y56-W9-D1 Trainer: 'Faded Memory' sure moves like a very nice horse! This horse looks to be about at their peak, but even I can’t always predict the future!

I think he improved with his first race...given the speed figure...
But I think that an allowance level horse...one being called 'a wow' (really wowed me out there) or a 'very nice horse' is the same thing.
A jump up to a stakes...the gallop would have a comment like "Very Special" or it would just say the horse is a stakes type.

From my notes....which are quite old, but I think still accurate:
Gallop Notes/comments:
Freak = Freak
Stakes = Very Special/Stakes
Allowance = Wow/Very Nice
Productive = Great/Easy
Solid = Okay/Solid
Claimer = Claimer
Different Career = stiff and awkward/not impress

Stormy.

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Mara Jade Vess
Miler

Post by Mara Jade Vess »

Stormy Peak wrote: 3 years ago
Mara Jade Vess wrote: 3 years ago Not a turf horse, but my guy was similar in that he improved twice in just over 2 weeks:

I think he improved with his first race...given the speed figure...
But I think that an allowance level horse...one being called 'a wow' (really wowed me out there) or a 'very nice horse' is the same thing.
Yes, he improved first start. He also went from allowance/progressive to allowance/peak, so not a huge improve but an improve nonetheless, so he did technically have two improves within three weeks even though he stayed within his gallop comment. I wasn't expecting a big jump as he wasn't a late bloomer and he seemed to be on the lower end of allowance judging by his works.
At Stud
Chuck Tingle – DR
$7,500
Dream All Day – DR
$12,500

Coming Soon
Y59: Sunrise inthe Dawn – AWR
Y60: Faded Memory – DR

A Complete Historical Guide to the Louisville Derby
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

I now have this filly in my barn - she's also a turf router. My question about improving will follow below.

Rihanna

what is "Near Peak" ?

From my understanding there are only (4) criteria a horse can be:
1. Unknown
2. Progressive
3. Late Bloomer
4. Peak
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Pete Vella wrote: 3 years ago

Rihanna

what is "Near Peak" ?

1. Unknown
2. Progressive
3. Late Bloomer
4. Peak
Near Peak is Stormy's long lost cousin.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Rihanna

what is "Near Peak" ?

1. Unknown
2. Progressive
3. Late Bloomer
4. Peak
In gallop comments - this comment:
looks to be about at their peak
That's not the same as this horseis at its peak

I had to go look up a gallop comment to see what it actually said. ... sorry for the edits.

that word 'about' makes it sound like the horse is near it's peak. I don't gallop older horses that much so I never really looked into if there was another comment saying 'at it's peak' or 'past it's peak'.

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Peak is peak stormy peak
;p
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Rihanna

what is "Near Peak" ?

1. Unknown
2. Progressive
3. Late Bloomer
4. Peak
In gallop comments - this comment:
looks to be about at their peak
That's not the same as this horseis at its peak

I had to go look up a gallop comment to see what it actually said. ... sorry for the edits.

that word 'about' makes it sound like the horse is near it's peak. I don't gallop older horses that much so I never really looked into if there was another comment saying 'at it's peak' or 'past it's peak'.

Stormy
if you look on your racing barn page it has a section called "improve" and it will show you the last known comment associated with peakness that was recorded for that horse.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Pete Vella wrote: 3 years ago ......if you look on your racing barn page it has a section called "improve" and it will show you the last known comment associated with peakness that was recorded for that horse.
That particular column isn't listed on my barn's page.
It shows as being check-marked, though, when I click on the columns button. I rarely mess around with the columns buttons, so when that feature showed up in the Sim, I never bothered to look to see if it was a column that could be used. I suppose I will have to uncheck another column or two, to make it fit with the rest of the columns.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Pete Vella wrote: 3 years ago ......if you look on your racing barn page it has a section called "improve" and it will show you the last known comment associated with peakness that was recorded for that horse.
That particular column isn't listed on my barn's page.
It shows as being check-marked, though, when I click on the columns button. I rarely mess around with the columns buttons, so when that feature showed up in the Sim, I never bothered to look to see if it was a column that could be used. I suppose I will have to uncheck another column or two, to make it fit with the rest of the columns.

Stormy
It's also listed on the profile page for each horse in the area indicated below.

Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Yes, Danny, I am aware that it's on the horses pages - I look at the pages....sometimes 50 of them a day. The columns were a different story, they can be changed about and I've never gone in and done that, so I don't see that column on my lists.

But as I said before, in reading the comment about a horse peaking. It says 'about at it's peak'.... which is not the same as 'at it's peak'

On the horse's page I was seeing the word peak as an indication that it was in that degree from 'ABOUT to peak...to at Peak, to Peaked' and a person needed to read the exact comment in the history to check and see where it was at. Again...I rarely gallop older horses so I didn't know if there were other comments.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000